Cemetery Question

Zig

Question about hunting near a cemetery ... How close is too close? There is a small cemetery in my development with several CW headstones - the area has been fenced off by the builders (no gates, kids still play within the fence). So how close is too close? Can I go in the fenced area and avoid the ground over the graves? Should I stay out of the fenced area all together?

Any help would be appreciated.

This is a DAGEROUS question. I would do what you feel is right within the law and leave it at that.

These questions end up as BAD threads and get deleted. Answers will be all over the spectrum. Time to find another subject and not go here.

This is a DAGEROUS question. I would do what you feel is right within the law and leave it at that.

These questions end up as BAD threads and get deleted. Answers will be all over the spectrum. Time to find another subject and not go here.

Dangerous????

I've been around the forum long enough to figure it would generate a bit of controversy on both sides but never figured it would be dangerous.

Really can't believe there aren't any other more appropriate places to hunt. The people who go to visit cemeteries (not reside there), go to pay their respects, to remember those buried there. They have the right to do so in peace, and not be bothered by grave-robbers, with pinball sounding machines waving around their feet. Sure we have rights to enjoy our hobby, anywhere not specifically banned (yet) by laws, be we also have the freedom to choose when and where, to exercise our rights. Showing a little respect for other human beings, isn't giving up any rights, you still have them, and can exercise them at a more appropriate time and place. Show a little commonsense and respect, and you won't run into a lot of trouble. Laws are usually created, because some people feel a need to take full advantage of their "Rights", feel entitled to do as they please, with total disregard for other people.

I'd honor the Civil war dead and stay away from there. Where you are has way too many other places to hunt that would be better anyways. Down here we have a Confederate park you can't even detect. A Confederate graveyard someone might get a little aggressive if they caught you there with a detector. Even on the outside of the gate.

How many threads do we have on this topic? :lol:

The land in a cemetery is private property, someone or family purchased that land... the dead cannot give you permission to hunt it... why not go hunt a nice totlot :laughing:

I did some work in a cemetery

Did volonteer work for a city close by. We GPSed and recorded every grave site we could find.. It took more than 4 months to complete. In the course of this time I met with several of the municipal team who were responsible for the upkeep. They keep an eye out for vagrants, metal scavangers and people who don't belong. There were a dozen or so graves of civil war soldiers where the CSA markers have been stolen. Only one still had it in place. The base was buried incased in concrete to discourage it's ability to grow legs. All graveyards are private property each grave owned by different families. The owners do not want you tramping over them. If you are in a cemetery, you can bet you are being watched. Most everything copper has or will be stolen. If you don't mind standing outside being questioned by authorities and being gawked at by passerbys while holding a metal detecter, well I guess better you than me. Only thing is, it reflects poorly on the hobby in general

Zig we have members here on the forum
that have ancestors dating back to that war.
I think it would be very disrespectful to hunt
anywhere near that site.

I would try someplace else.

Back
Top Bottom