Things to do while on lockdown?

achaios

Forum Supporter
Obviously, my travel is limited (more than most, since I don't drive), so I have to keep myself occupied here at home. Luckily, I work from home (my office decided they needed the office space more than my physical presence). I find my activities haven't changed much.

I have plenty of books I haven't gotten to yet, fiction, science, humor, trivia, and history.

I bought a new Wi-Fi radio that allows me thousands of different stations to listen to (of course, there's also thousands of stations I have no interest in listening to).

I watch the internet coin and paper money auctions. I recently won a Confederate $100 that was signed on the back by Thaddeus Sanford, Depositary, and while he isn't the rarest of them, this bill is rated as R-8 by Pierre Fricke.

I revel in the fact that back in August of 2019, rather than have to take up grocery space, I ordered 4 12-packs of Quilted Northern, with still over half of it left. :)

I do have a pedal exercise thingie that I can use from my chair while I work.

I have a ham radio setup, but solar conditions right now aren't the best for QRP operators like myself.

I'm not a social butterfly, so I am surviving, so far.

Thoughts?

-- Tom

Having 1 1/2 acres of property next to woods allows us plenty of outdoor exercise and fresh air doing yard work when it's not raining.

There always indoor projects/uncluttering that seems to need done.

Our car and van could use a good wash and paste wax, good outdoor exercise !

There are still areas of our property I haven't detected yet !

…..and of course this friendly forum which helps all of us feel like we're still connected to the outside world :lol:
:toofunny:

Why don't you drive ? How do you get around ?

I'm married with 3 kids at home. Only thing that changed much is my wife had to find something else to write the honey do lists on now that toilet paper is in short supply.

Why don't you drive ? How do you get around ?

I don't drive because of my eyesight. It never was any good and getting worse. I'm extremely nearsighted, and this is actually a benefit sometimes when examining coins and paper money close up.

I'm 2 blocks from a subway station (when things are running normally), and get my groceries delivered from Giant's PeaPod service. If my brother can't give me a ride to CostCo to get my prescriptions, I take a cab. When church is operational, there's always someone willing to get me there.

-- Tom

I don't drive because of my eyesight. It never was any good and getting worse. I'm extremely nearsighted, and this is actually a benefit sometimes when examining coins and paper money close up.

I'm 2 blocks from a subway station (when things are running normally), and get my groceries delivered from Giant's PeaPod service. If my brother can't give me a ride to CostCo to get my prescriptions, I take a cab. When church is operational, there's always someone willing to get me there.

-- Tom
I'm sorry to hear about your eyesight. At least your have friends , resources to help you out. Does this mean you can't metal detect ?

I'm sorry to hear about your eyesight. At least your have friends , resources to help you out. Does this mean you can't metal detect ?

I can still MD, and see coins and such. I have just never had the field of vision that I felt comfortable trying to drive. The left lens of my glasses is almost 1/2" thick at the edge. It doesn't stop me from identifying the ancient coins people occasionally post on this board, providing the photo is in focus.

When I play board games that require a D20, I have two of those I got on Kickstarter that are over 2" thick.

I'm doing OK.

-- Tom

KT has been retired since 2013 so got used to a set routine, mostly centered around activities based at the Castle and Church. So now that Church activities are indefinitely suspended, activities are centered aound the Castle and surrounding grounds....5 acres. In the past couple of weeks, KT moved last years firewood supply and stacked on back porch of the Castle, clearing up the aging racks for this years Spring cutting. Ordered a new battery powered Chainsaw off of Amazon...KT has used gas saws for years, and is tired of the gas/oil mixing, noise, fumes, and jerking His Royal Shoulder outta socket, trying to start them! Have a corded electric Worx saw for firewood cutting, once the logs are brought to the Castles wood lot. AND if the new saw battery will last an hour, that's a nice pace for the old King! Ha ha. Get to take a break while its recharging!

Having had the CRHing suspended by the dump bank, KT now has fun bidding on silver coins online! And of course, Spring is upon us, so today KT is firing up the 4-wheel drive Kubota with the belly mower and will be mowing the grass! That is some productive social distancing! :laughing::laughing:

The Queen has downloaded several face mask patterns from the Internet, and is now busy making facemasks for everyone in our Church and the Royal Neighborhood. KT and Prince John spent part of the afternoon yesterday in the Chariot, delivering 20 of them to Church members....about another 50 to go!

KT does take the Chariot to the local grocery store every third day to pick up a drive through order...that process is working pretty well.

And KT has almost caught up on every Western movie on TV and every MMA and UFC fight on You Tube...:lol::lol:

Well, off to the Royal Lunch and then to mow grass!

KT,

I've been buying stuff at a live auction site called icollector.com. The stuff at BK Auctions has a lot of silver $10 gambling chips that I've bought a few of. Typically they go for $20 - $30, depending on the theme/design. Lots of slabbed and unslabbed silver dollars, too.

-- Tom

I'm really going to hit my fields and woods hard.

I found a stone well in the middle of the woods deer hunting , no visible cellar hole or remnants of structures.

I have maps back to 1864, and nothing appears on them.

I just ordered a book on my detector that I plan on studying. Its my first digital detector so I want to learn as much as I can about it and the sport. Only being in my 30’s, I believe this and last years fed. furlough will be the closest thing us millennials will get to a retirement so Im going to enjoy my hobbies, work on first home, and relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KT,

I've been buying stuff at a live auction site called icollector.com. The stuff at BK Auctions has a lot of silver $10 gambling chips that I've bought a few of. Typically they go for $20 - $30, depending on the theme/design. Lots of slabbed and unslabbed silver dollars, too.

-- Tom
Thanks for that info on the icollector.com web site. I will get up and visit it when the federal check comes in! HA HA.

Finally did get the battery operated chainsaw in from Amazon, and I like it. Charged the battery, filled up with chain and bar oil, and today cut down my first tree with it! Left a 15 inch high stump so Prince John can get out the Royal backhoe tractor and dig out the shallow roots. After it rains some later this week, KT wants to get out the Chariot with a chain and pull that thing from the ground! Anyway, got a little bit of firewood to now stack and some to split this evening when the weather gets cooler...we have an 80 degree heatwave right now!

Take care, Tom! And years ago when KT was actively purchasing ancient Roman Coins from eBay (back when they were cheap!), I remember your expertise in identifying some of them for me! Thanks very much for that, too! KT

I've just been watching way too much tv and youtube. I've been organizing inventory (i sell stuff online) and doing some light woodworking, car has been washed several times, got up on my roof the other afternoon and washed the solar panels and had a beer watching the sunset.
Exciting times all around down here!

I've been spending time at the reloading bench. I just got some 'new' bullets for one of my rifles. They're so new that there isn't any load data out there for them, so I'm flying by the seat of my pants to do much with them. What I did do was pick a load I knew would be safe initially, and then started playing with seating depth. Next I'll gradually increase the charge weight looking for pressure signs and good numbers with the chronograph. It's nice not having to go anywhere to get to a range....I have my own.

So far, I'm pretty pleased with how they're performing @ 100yds.
The real test will be how well they do @ 1000yds and beyond.

Attachments

• On Target Seating Depth Test 04-05-20_1.jpg
    On Target Seating Depth Test 04-05-20_1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 214
Our local beach got closed today due to too many people congregating. Not to worry, nothing to be found this early in the season anyway. As long as this "thing" doesn't last until July anyway. I've been almost daily hitting the woods looking for bottledumps before the vegitation starts growing. Tried MDing some old house sites I remember from 15-20 years ago but they are unreachable with all the growth now. :no:

I’ve been working and after, working on the land, cleaning up storm fell wood, splitting and stacking.

Took the next two days off and will try and go detecting tomorrow morning and then take my son (10) fishing at the nearby lake.

Castle activities today.

Welp, the new battery operated chainsaw arrived yesterday! Got the battery charged and chainsaw and bar oil added. Today this morning while still cool, KT cut down a dogwood by the front driveway that the Royal Family has been observing in a slow death. It was time, cut it up into firewood, and hauled the brush and small limbs to a burn pile, and split and stacked the wood. Also, the Queen specified two other trees for removal. One of those was also cut down and processed. Finally, Prince John, using the Royal Kubota tractor, dug the stump up and dumped it in the adjacent woods, out of sight! :laughing::laughing:

Got a check for working the local polls awhile back today, so off to the Bank to make the deposit. Now KT has sufficient funds to buy some additional silver halves! So will begin serious searching this evening!

Thank goodness it was only 70 here today as KT does not like to get too hot!:D:D

Welp, the new battery operated chainsaw arrived yesterday! Got the battery charged and chainsaw and bar oil added. Today this morning while still cool, KT cut down a dogwood by the front driveway that the Royal Family has been observing in a slow death. It was time, cut it up into firewood, and hauled the brush and small limbs to a burn pile, and split and stacked the wood. Also, the Queen specified two other trees for removal. One of those was also cut down and processed. Finally, Prince John, using the Royal Kubota tractor,
dug the stump up and dumped it in the adjacent woods, out of sight! :laughing::laughing:

Got a check for working the local polls awhile back today, so off to the Bank to make the deposit. Now KT has sufficient funds to buy some additional silver halves! So will begin serious searching this evening!

Thank goodness it was only 70 here today as KT does not like to get too hot!:D:D

….I can appreciate that, we live next to woods and there are places for tree debris to be placed harmlessly out of sight to eventually turn to mulch, hey, some trees in the woods fall over naturally anyhow :lol:

I like our battery operated chainsaw, it's so nice to not have to mess with mixing the oil and gas and sometimes having a hard time getting it started, with the electric one it starts right up ! We have an electric weed-wacker too.

Back
Top Bottom