Your go behind detector?

That would have been Saturday so No, that wasn't me. And I'm quite fine should someone stop to visit with me, so if it would have been me I would have missed that pleasure.

I'm easy to spot as I am about 5 or 6 years older than you, and would have a cane in my left hand. If it's a hotter summer day I might be wearing a ball cap, but when cap-free I keep my hair very short. Just one step from being bald.

Do you live in or close around the Vale area? Drop me an e-mail, if you will, to [email protected]

I will be getting out detecting Monday afternoon, then probably Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Maybe even Tuesday afternoon. But it won't be to a city park as I'm be going after some elusive older era coins working a ghost town or two.

And to be 'on-topic' I'll be using the same or different detectors to re-hunt places I've been over many times.

Monte

Didn't think you'd be at that kind of spot. Not my type either. Not doing any MDing until my neck gets healed up. Stay safe.

You bet! Mainly you're going over it a second time and that's what counts. Miss it by an inch. Miss it by a mile. The old saying goes.

Yep, hey I've seen people swinging that coil and walking what's way too fast, IMHO, while what looks like missing half to even a whole coil length in their sweep. They look like their worried that another guys going to get to the treasure before them. Hey, I don't mean to knock the poor guy. He's there to have fun but that's one good reason to not give up on a site.. A coin is a small object laying in a few acres of park land.
So, hey, wanna back up a hunt? Turn 45° and slow down. Over lap that coil by at least 1/4. " Go low n slow" Coarse most yoose all know this. RIght?

Yep, hey I've seen people swinging that coil and walking what's way too fast, IMHO, while what looks like missing half to even a whole coil length in their sweep. They look like their worried that another guys going to get to the treasure before them. Hey, I don't mean to knock the poor guy. He's there to have fun but that's one good reason to not give up on a site.. A coin is a small object laying in a few acres of park land.
So, hey, wanna back up a hunt? Turn 45° and slow down. Over lap that coil by at least 1/4. " Go low n slow" Coarse most yoose all know this. RIght?

Unless perhaps, you were quickly cleaning a site of it's trash to get to deeper better targets.
IDK, I don't do that for beach hunting though. Good luck, stay safe!

I mainly do this on clean sites or where I have hunted with my M6 or Impact. I will follow up with the V3i and stock coil in Deep Silver mode.

This is easy. My whites DF pulse "To Go Behind Other Detectorist " that are ahead of me. You wouldn't believe the success I've had. And I WAS a Nox user.

Monte, were you hunting at the Wadleigh Park yesterday? Was through Vale yesterday and saw someone detecting, but didn't stop to bother him. We were taking pics of the Stone House Museum and the new engraved stone sign that my youngest son did for them. My oldest son who passed away in January had started the project, so it was nice to see it finished. Hope if it was you detecting, that you had a good hunt.

my condolences on your son's passing! ..losing a child
is very sad.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I hunt lawns,parks and other public sites and I hunt them over and over and eventually most of my detectors get a shot because of boredom and I just love learning and using different detectors.

I found a ton with my Vaq that my original cheap bounty hunter missed.
I found a ton with my F2 that my Vaq missed.
Found a bunch with with my Compadre that my others missed.
Found a ton with my F70 that all the others missed, found a mess with my Nox that everything else I used missed.
Went over sites I but hard with my Nox and still found great stuff going back over it with my F70.
I see a pattern developing, here.

For me things change out there all the time, I find different things in the same sites on different hunts depending on the moisture content of the dirt.
I find different things at the same sites by using different coils on the same detectors.
I find different things at the same exact sites using combinations of all my detectors and coils by hitting these sites from different directions.

I never believed that any site is truly ever hunted out and have been warned off sites by a few well meaning detectorists who hunted them to death over the years with some very high end detectors and years of experience that have told me they, and their friends, got it all and there was nothing left to find.
One guy said that to me when I first showed up to a small park and noticed me but I told him as long as I was there I might as well give it a try and thanks very much for the warning.
After a several hunts at that site over several days the guy stopped by again because he lived in the neighborhood and greeted me and asked if I found anything.
I said yep, a few silver coins, some nice silver rings, an actual small version Harry S. Truman inaugural coin from the mint and a whole bunch of clad plus a few other cool things.
He was skeptical so I pulled up the forum on my phone and showed him pictures that I had already posted in my F2 album of those better finds.
He looked at my little F2, shook his head and practically accused me of lying.
He had supreme confidence in his detector and abilities, I guess.
Since then the most I ever do with other hunters that stop by my sites is small talk since life is too short to argue with the clueless.

it has been my experience that people who stop to chat are "not" simply curious,
but are "sizing" you up to determine if it may be in their interest to cause issues. i don't like to speak with others while i am hunting.i just don't trust people's motives in the field.in over 35 years of hunting, i have learned that "most" people will leave you alone for whatever their reasoning, and this is fine with me!..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I mainly do this on clean sites or where I have hunted with my M6 or Impact. I will follow up with the V3i and stock coil in Deep Silver mode.

Is that factory coil on the V3i, the 10DD or the 10" Concentric? I never liked the 10DD, so I'd never use my V3i for followup. My Whites M6 with the concentric 10"would be what I'd use in the whites line. Otherwise, my choice will be the Etrac or Explorer Se Pro.

it has been my experience that people who stop to chat are "not" simply curious,
but are "sizing" you up to determine if it may be in their interest to cause issues. i don't like to speak with others while i am hunting.i just don't trust people's motives in the field.in over 35 years of hunting, i have learned that "most" people will leave you alone for whatever their reasoning, and this is fine with me!..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Early on in my career I started hunting way to close to people in Parks and I was bothered there constantly...especially by kids.
Three times I had some very nice moms come up to me and gave me a few dollar bills because they saw me dressed in my grubby, dirty hunting clothes and they assumed I was homeless and looking for a few coins so I could go get something to eat.
The first time it happened I was confused and after realizing what was happening i explained to her I was doing fine, had a nice place to live and a nice car and I was just doing this as a hobby.
Twice after I didn't feel like explaining that again so I just took the money, said "bless you" and went on with my business.

Eventually I got tired by the interactions and the rare smart a$$ comments so I started to hunt with a pair of tighty-whitey underwear on OVER my hunting pants.
Nobody came close to me after that.

Early on in my career I started hunting way to close to people in Parks and I was bothered there constantly...especially by kids.
Three times I had some very nice moms come up to me and gave me a few dollar bills because they saw me dressed in my grubby, dirty hunting clothes and they assumed I was homeless and looking for a few coins so I could go get something to eat.
The first time it happened I was confused and after realizing what was happening i explained to her I was doing fine, had a nice place to live and a nice car and I was just doing this as a hobby.
Twice after I didn't feel like explaining that again so I just took the money, said "bless you" and went on with my business.

Eventually I got tired by the interactions and the rare smart a$$ comments so I started to hunt with a pair of tighty-whitey underwear on OVER my hunting pants.

That is great. In the 80s I went to a costume party. The theme was "Hobo". I went all out on my homeless costume from my old clothes in the garage. Makeup , the whole deal. I won 1st place for most disgusting. I wore tighty-whiteys over my corduroy pants. The front I used light mustard so it looked like I peed . The back I rubbed Hershey's syrup. It was a great party.

All detectors are my go behind detectors. I usually hit a site til I find no more good non-ferrous targets. That may take several years depending on the size of the site. Then and only then will I bring in another detector.. alot of the places I've hunted were already hunted out by the 60's and 70's detectorists lol. Well according to them anyway. So I went behind many hunters that left bucket fulls of amazing finds. But their detectors were maxed out and we're not able to find any more thankfully ;). The mxt I used since they came out til about 8 years ago or so and going behind the mxt has produced some amazing finds ..

That is great. In the 80s I went to a costume party. The theme was "Hobo". I went all out on my homeless costume from my old clothes in the garage. Makeup , the whole deal. I won 1st place for most disgusting. I wore tighty-whiteys over my corduroy pants. The front I used light mustard so it looked like I peed . The back I rubbed Hershey's syrup. It was a great party.

:heartylaugh:

Is that factory coil on the V3i, the 10DD or the 10" Concentric? I never liked the 10DD, so I'd never use my V3i for followup. My Whites M6 with the concentric 10"would be what I'd use in the whites line. Otherwise, my choice will be the Etrac or Explorer Se Pro.

The 10DD is the one I like. In my soil...test bed....it is the deepest. I usually keep the 6x10 on my M6. In a clean park or lot, the V3i deep silver mode shines. In trash it will make you quit the hobby.

you should do that now with the "nasty" all around!.definitely would help
with 6' distancing!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

The Real Detectorist Go Behind Metal Detector

My "Go Behind" metal detector is my wife... she gets what I miss.
Behind her is my mistress. She gets all the leftovers.
Behind her are my girlfriends. They get the scraps.

:tropical:

Back
Top Bottom