HUGE gold in the middle of a field!

Very Nice and cool it is dated...I would say a nice collectors piece!

MY Girl friend is from New London, her dad worked at Electric boat during the 50's and 60's, then was transferred to Washington DC later.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 540
Extremely interesting find. I live about 15 minutes away from the base and would have loved to have found it. Even if it wasn't gold it would a historic find for this area. Great recovery.

Also, forgot to mention, the sub base is actually in Groton, Ct, across the river from New London. Not sure is the base was in new london in 1919 or not. Try contacting the New london historical society

Just remembered this. The field that they may have played in is in New London. It is Morgan Field or Morgan Park. I know that Yogi Berra played there when he was stationed at the base during WW2

Just remembered this. The field that they may have played in is in New London. It is Morgan Field or Morgan Park. I know that Yogi Berra played there when he was stationed at the base during WW2

That is a beautiful find - really nice detail on it! Hope you are able to reunite it with a relative

Breath taking!! One of the best finds I've seen in a long time! Unique. Historic. GOLD. Beautiful. Gold. Did I say GOLD? If it were a woman I'd marry her.
Great find! Your crop came in that day!

Awesome find and very cool piece of history!

I always wonder how anyone ever detects a big field Unless they know there was a house there. Was there a house?

I detect fields because people work in fields, play in fields, walk in fields, game hunt in fields, picnic in fields, fly kites, in fields.....

Hunt a field that has been in continuous use for 200 plus years, and you'll find stuff...

One of my fields is 35 acres. Barely scratched it but have found wheat pennies, an 1864 Indian Head, and an 1864 Nova Scotia penny.....

Just got a NEL Storm for my At-Pro, hope to find more.

Awesome find! Hope you find info about its unlucky owner. Never ceases to amaze me how our finds became lost in the first place. Can't driveby or look at a piece land anymore and not wonder what's out there. I'm always looking for evidence of human activity...old fence lines, run-down homesteads, unused gates, overgrown road beds, lone telephone poles in an open field, long forgotten cemeteries, etc., etc., etc.

Speaking of cemeteries - years ago (eons before I began detecting), my sons and I were squirrel hunting on a friends property. He and his brother had just purchased the acreage which was densely wooded. I stumbled upon an grossly overgrown, untended cemetery. Some standing/some overturned headstones barely visible and dating in the late 19th century. Always wanted to go back and swing my etrac...but haven't. Wonder what's there????

Awesome find! Hope you find info about its unlucky owner. Never ceases to amaze me how our finds became lost in the first place. Can't driveby or look at a piece land anymore and not wonder what's out there. I'm always looking for evidence of human activity...old fence lines, run-down homesteads, unused gates, overgrown road beds, lone telephone poles in an open field, long forgotten cemeteries, etc., etc., etc.

Speaking of cemeteries - years ago (eons before I began detecting), my sons and I were squirrel hunting on a friends property. He and his brother had just purchased the acreage which was densely wooded. I stumbled upon an grossly overgrown, untended cemetery. Some standing/some overturned headstones barely visible and dating in the late 19th century. Always wanted to go back and swing my etrac...but haven't. Wonder what's there????

Please don't start an "ok to hunt a cemetary" discussion! Haven't seen on here I awhile.

Please don't start an "ok to hunt a cemetary" discussion! Haven't seen on here I awhile.

Back
Top Bottom