Garrett stock headphones scratchy sounding.

T-Man

Elite Member
Question for all you fix it yourselfers out there. Stock head phones for the ATP are cutting in and out and very scratchy sounding. Think it may be the volume knobs on them. If I play with them a little I can get them to work but getting to be a little annoying. Just curious if there may be an easy fix for them or just get a new set. Not been out a ton lately and don't see myself getting out in the near future with everything going on so it may be a little keep me busy for a few hours project. Just curious if anyone has fixed them in the past or how hard they are to get apart and back together and any tips.

Thanks

Question for all you fix it yourselfers out there. Stock head phones for the ATP are cutting in and out and very scratchy sounding. Think it may be the volume knobs on them. If I play with them a little I can get them to work but getting to be a little annoying. Just curious if there may be an easy fix for them or just get a new set. Not been out a ton lately and don't see myself getting out in the near future with everything going on so it may be a little keep me busy for a few hours project. Just curious if anyone has fixed them in the past or how hard they are to get apart and back together and any tips.

Thanks

I had the same thing happen to mine. Since I used it in the water a lot, I think moisture got in and trashed those volume pots. Since I actually like to the sound of the stock headphones over the Grey Ghost that I was using, I decided to fix mine and waterproof them. I simply cut out volume pots and hard wired the speakers directly. I then used gortex in the front of the speakers and put RTV on the back and bingo, I was back in action.

Dirty pots. Take off rubber earmuffs and carefully unsnap the speakers to get at the pots.
Spray in some potentiometer cleaner that has a lubricant in directly into the slot in the pot while working the knob. Should do the rrick.
While you're in the headphones check all of the solder connections because if you're like me and pull the wires often they could be bad too.

I've been having the same issues with my MS-2 headphones. The volume is scratchy and even cuts out at times. I've had them maybe a month or two, so it was definitely annoying I'm already having issues with them. I'll try what was suggested above tonight and see if the pots are dirty, but like I said, these are relatively new... appreciate this thread!

Not yet, honeydo list got in the way. Wife wants me to level the backyard and put up the pool for the kids. Fortunately not too bad, not nearly as bad as my last house but I'm not getting any younger and tearing up all that sod is a pain with a shovel and rake. Back is telling me I'm an idiot but oh well. I'll get to it eventually, hopefully.

briefly did a quick scan of it last night, pretty trashy but sounds like I have a few copper pennies in there. Going to dig them out before I put down the gravel this weekend. Did find a few wheats in the yard recently and a little modern clad but nothing to get excited about it.

Dirty pots. Take off rubber earmuffs and carefully unsnap the speakers to get at the pots.
Spray in some potentiometer cleaner that has a lubricant in directly into the slot in the pot while working the knob. Should do the rrick.
While you're in the headphones check all of the solder connections because if you're like me and pull the wires often they could be bad too.

Good tips. Product called Deoxit I believe. Spray into small opening while working the knob. Do check solder connections as well.

Back
Top Bottom