14K Honker... Been a while, happy to have it when gold is up!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Been a while since I've dug a honker out of the ground. This one was 10.74 grams of FG goodness.

Managed it at an old high school nearby. Happy to have it in the pouch.

It's going to go get melted in and traded for a new float tube, waders and flippers for my son. Time to do some fishin'!

Other items were a stainless ring, $2.79 in change, and another flat penny.

Headed back tomorrow to try the softball field next to the soccer field this one came out of. I'm pretty sure there's going to be more rings... it's been a few years since I've detected this spot, and it doesn't seem like too much detectorist action has taken place.

This is Gold #2 for the year, holding nicely at a better than average find rate than last year (though I've gotten out WAY less hours, due to health). Unsure how COVID19 is going to impact this summer, but there's gold in the ground to be found, either way!!

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_2434.jpg
    IMG_2434.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_2429.jpg
    IMG_2429.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_2431.jpg
    IMG_2431.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 497
Hey hey two thumbs up and a high five on that ring....oops forgot about distancing. Anyway congrats.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Sweet find. It's worth more melted than as a ring?

Little info on FG... Frederick Goldman, Inc Trade Mark:

I've tried selling rings before. I end up with the same amount, with more hassel.

I "might" be able to get more, but it'll take longer to sell. Selling on auction sites, I've even lost out on what I could have gotten by melting... due to fees and shipping.

So now, I just melt 'em down.

Skippy

Wow,nice honker there., I got 3,000 pulltabs I’ll trade ya..Congrats

If you've got 3000 pulltabs between golds, you need to pick better spots. LOL

I find a gold ring, on average (and it truly is "average" as they ebb and flow), about every 12-18 hunts, or roughly 24 hours of hunting.

Skippy

Someone was heartbroken losing that! Great save!

Not heartbroken enough to go back with a metal detector. LOL

Based on the fact I last detected this 3 years ago, and the fact it was well below the root layer, I'm thinking at least 3 years old, but I probably missed it the first go around (I don't remember detecting this deep into the field, then). Could be 5-10 years lost...

Skippy

I've tried selling rings before. I end up with the same amount, with more hassel.

I "might" be able to get more, but it'll take longer to sell. Selling on auction sites, I've even lost out on what I could have gotten by melting... due to fees and shipping.

So now, I just melt 'em down.

Skippy

Nice Honker!! Can't blame you for melting it down - I can't imagine the hassle and time to sell ring finds on your own, and there's no doubt sites like eBay etc cut too far into the profit margin.

If you've got 3000 pulltabs between golds, you need to pick better spots. LOL

I find a gold ring, on average (and it truly is "average" as they ebb and flow), about every 12-18 hunts, or roughly 24 hours of hunting.

Skippy

So Skippy, have you written a book yet on Skippy and the Art of Ring Recovery ? Might be a best seller on the forum and in the TH'ing community at large. I'm impressed. Did you once have a thread posted here on your methods?

Jim

Back
Top Bottom