Spent the morning at another old church

stursmad

I was able to spend some time at an old church today. I was able to find a few old cents, but the silver evaded me. I ended up with three Indians and two old Wheaties. Also found some bullets of which I think may be old, but I don't know much about them. Finding five older coppers makes me due to find silver on my next outing! I was using my Anfibio Multi today.

Attachments

• tb1.jpg
    tb1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 190
  • tb2.jpg
    tb2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 202
  • tb3.jpg
    tb3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 177
By the looks of what you have found so far I believe there is silver in your future at that spot. I always love to find IH pennies. Good luck!

It's not often that the # of IH's exceeds the # of wheaties. Did someone(s ) else hit it before you, and clean out the shallower wheaties ?

It's not often that the # of IH's exceeds the # of wheaties. Did someone(s ) else hit it before you, and clean out the shallower wheaties ?

Hey Tom. You are right on. I'm sure it has been detected before, as most every public place has. Since acquiring my Anfibio early last year, I have found mostly older coins, as the shallower coins are almost always cleaned out(not counting the clad). Now, if I started hunting house yards, that would likely be a different story. Next time I go back, I think I will swing my Explorer, just to see if it can hone in on something my Anfibio missed. Although, I do think the coins I found there yesterday would have been near or even beyond the Explorers depth limits. Oh, to go back to the early 2000's, when the Explorer first came out. That was a heyday!

.... as the shallower coins are almost always cleaned out(not counting the clad). ....

This is a phenomenon that occurred d/t the "hay-day" of md'ing in the 1970s/80s/90s : There were some geographic locales parks that got hit hard for their obvious deep high conductor-cherry-pickens, during that time. But the machines of that era were doing-good to just work out the top 7" . Eh ?

And that generation of md'rs eventually gave up on those worked-out parks.

But in the early 2000's, as machines like the Explorer opened up the 8 to 9" window, an odd phenomenon happened: Certain parks had more silver to harvest. But oddly, the vast majority of dates were 1920s and earlier. D/t all the 1940s to 1960s stuff had already been had. Hmmmm.

We saw the same phenomenon in the very early 1980s: There were a few parks were the TR disc. era had stripped out all the 4 to 5" layer. But the advent of the first motion discriminators (6000d) to hit those same parks, opened up another inch or two. And yes, not many silver washingtons or roosies to come up. D/t the "prior generation" of shallow seekers had already had that layer.

Strange how the generations keep going on !

But now, all the generations "skipped the shallowest layer of clad" (ignoring the 1 to 2" deep stuff, sadly). So today: There is a layer of clad, that everyone refuses to harvest, that will forever mask the deeper silver :roll: The only "frontier" now, is if tractors blade off the top 6" of turf. Doh !

Back
Top Bottom