Ethical question

mr bippy

There is a cemetery nearby that dates to the early 19th century. On the same property, very close to the cemetery is a clearing where the church once stood. From what I hear it was burned down by Union forces once they occupied the area. There are no markings or cellar holes to indicate where exactly the structure stood so it would be a wide area to swing through. As many of you know, the thing with old cemeteries is that just because theres no marker that doesn't mean there isn't a grave there. Many folks couldn't afford stone so many used wood which rotted away, and some used no marker at all.

Question: Would you hunt this site?  :?:

I would hunt the church area and the perimeters of the cemetary. The footprint of the church may be discernable by stones from the foundation or the distribution of nails. If it was burnt, there will be a layer of ash where the building was.
My 2 cents

Good Huntin

Yep I'd hunt the clearing but stay a bit away from the cemetery. Back in those days they didn't bury useing vaults, after awhile the coffin will rot and the grave site will sink in the ground about a foot deep by two feet wide and four feet long. If you see a spot like that I wouldn't dig.

DirtDigger

We ave had conversations here before concerning hunting cemeteries or near them and the consensus was to stay away from cemeteries because each grave is private property and owned by someone. I see nothing wrong with hunting church property or where the church once stood.

My approach to these type situations is to carefully choose the time of day and day of the week, and hunt for short periods of time. Just try to not call attention to yourself. Hey, if your're lucky they will think you're weedwacking.

Lol at the weed wacking. I'm too fat to be a landscaper though. Ok I'm gonna try it. Great point as far as exposure is concerned. The site is on a fairly busy road so I'm going to need to keep a low profile. Heck I bet the place has been cleaned out anyway but I'm new and I need the experience. I'll post anything I find that's interesting. I hope I don't find a ring with a finger attached. Or don't I? :shock:

Yo Bip, Seems to me if Union forces were in that vicinity They must have had an encampment near by. Should be enough fertile detecting spots
in the area to allow for a wide berth of the cemetary area. Some folks can get mighty upset if they see you digging anywhere near the grave yard. If you can't help yourself, wear camo............ :roll:....Gil

Back
Top Bottom