• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First New Permission in 2020....bust

ecmo

Elite Member
There's a small town about 8 miles from my house that was granted a charter in 1892 and started growing. In 1903 a railroad was to be, and was built there.

If I remember correctly the townspeople had a huge disagreement about just where it was supposed to go. End result the town split into two separate towns with separate names and charters which lasted until 1967 when they remerged back into the original name also. The trains quit running in 1969 or 70 and the tracks taken out in '73.

In its heyday it had a couple drygoods stores, taverns, p.o. (still does), 2 hotels, grain mill, two lumber yards, four churches, a stockyard, school and other businesses, and about a thousand residence. Oh and two banks also.
Ther are still quite a few reminents remaing of its faded glory. Except for the county blacktop running through town the streets are all gravel with small trace spots here and there showing old asphalt on most streets. A city employee (probably the only one) stopped to chat with me today while detecting and I ask about the last time streets were paved and he said late fifties. As you can see in a couple photos sidewalks now disappear into grass, brush, and in one area even woods.

A good part of my permissions the last 5 years have been in this town. Two of those payed off well. One of those is where I found my last gold coin in 2-2016, shown on my avatar photo.

So there is this one old cottage that I'm sure was cute at one time and the lawn always mowed in summer that I've been wanting to detect for awhile. Last Friday I stopped by the small city clerk's office and enquired about it. The older lady clerk who has helped me out a few times before knew who owned it and gave me a name and phone number. Saturday morning I called the guy. He gave me immediate permission. Got there and barely got started when his wife pulled up wearing her virus mask and told me hubby also owned the larger old green colored house just across the cross street from this one and the vacant lot on the other side of that and it would be o.k. for me to hunt that Also. Woohoo!!

Well sir, I started out with my racer 2 and stock coil and everything notched out just below a nickle, just above a nickel to about screw cap. Hunted about an hour and nearly every sweep all around the house was 3 to 4 high pitched tones showing penny to dime and quarter VDI with lots of low grunts mixed pluss numerous over loads, some covering several feet in area, burried tin I guess. Everything was surface to about 3 inches deep. I dug the first dozen, can slaw, tabs, screw caps, you name it. Managed to get 3 pennies, two were early 60's. Went to the truck and got out my beloved mx 5 with 9" concentric coil. Turned the sensitivity down to 6 and discriminated everything up to a penny....same thing.[emoji24]

Went across the street to the big old green colored house. I'll be a s.o.b. same thing.[emoji24][emoji24] Came back on Sunday and started the vacant lot which had a home on it until a few years ago. It was much better but still had its share of trash and a few larger spots of overloads. I'm talking pick the detector 20" above the ground and swing and still get a loud tone. Came back today and covered more of it. Managed a few pennies, a recent drop just below the surface 1965 quarter, a cap pistol, an aluminium something that looks like and has Chinese writing on one side but some sort of scrawl in gilt color on the other. Yes I will be going back but I really wonder why.

Couple of the pics are not from these properties but across the street to show you sidewalks.
0ac1965454e19c244b1832cb2c84b1f5.jpg
150057b70c4dc7c32b420af65fa7b89e.jpg
8406745252a11a13f929fd81c492781f.jpg
5ab4706af59ad0bfd77e7633dc548698.jpg
5d199c11e3e3d67e99a7a9eb92ce955f.jpg
b19a9b6b9e95cc4e8e571822974acd02.jpg
fec009ad845bc452b808c6f837aee6b8.jpg
8e4355ece775900baaf0dbead6d0e8a1.jpg

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Great story and some prime looking hunting grounds. That place would take a lot of hours of slow hunting. My bet is you will find some real treasure there. Good luck!!

Great story and some prime looking hunting grounds. That place would take a lot of hours of slow hunting. My bet is you will find some real treasure there. Good luck!!
Thanks, and yes many hours of digging 5 gallon buckets of trash out to hopefully unmask out the deeper good stuff. I just don't think I have the patience for it. I seldom spend much time hunting small town city parks either because of the trash and their not as bad as those two house yards.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

There's definitely stuff there to find. I'd go to the shadiest part where they may have had family picnics to get out of the heat. I've hit a local swimming pool here for 5+ years and have peeled backed more junk, but only to uncover the good stuff. I'd say get a ton of patience and keep at it. The stuff you could find could be awesome....

Good write-up and pics. The place does look awesome.

I'm having the same issue lately. I spend hours digging at old properties loaded with trash only to find a few interesting targets but nothing really exciting - it's exhausting.....

Really cool permission. Nice finds

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom