another chunky antique 925 and a couple 900s.....

bobac

Elite Member
Well, I used up my last vacation day and hit the road for another 4 hour road trip to an old park where I had done well and thought for sure theres got to be some more goodies stashed.....I spent just about two full days out there .
I dug a good amount of targets , for me......I usually don't dig a ton of low tones, but for some reason the pennies were hitting 44 and 45 and I was starting to get pissed off. At the end of the day I started passing up the 5 inch 44s and just as it was getting dark I decided to dig a 6 incher that was teetering between 44 and a hint of 45....I shut the machine down and dug it and out popped a toned merc.....All the other coins had been modern so I wiped the front with my glove pretty hard and saw 1916 and cringed....I flipped it and saw the dirt was clinging on to the majority of the surface so I just stuck it In my pocket and drove home 4 hours just praying before cleaning it......Once again, how can a century old silver coin be worth less than 3 bucks?!!!:mad::mad:
Anyway......The match stick holder is a first for me and I looked all around the spot for the cover to it in vain......still a great little find I'd say.....Haven't ascertained the maker or date just yet ...It sure was fun looking at other examples online though....never imagined there was such a vast assortment of intricate specimens out there.....I may have to try to buff this thing to see if will regain any luster to have in my display case....
The bullet was a bit of a shocker too.....I've dug some live shotgun ammo in the woods , but never expected one by the sidewalk in a city park...maybe some gangster activity....:?: I'm starting to amass a number of live rounds in my finds piles and not really sure what to do with them.....
Anyway.....well, these 5 coins get me up to 70 silver coins FTY and frankly I wasn't expecting to crack a dozen after seeing that we were gonna be working 70 hour weeks almost all year......
We're supposed to be hovering close to 40 this week , so I'm hoping I can get out at least one more time......
Sorry about the long winded paragraph again .....:roll:
Hey , happy December hunting all........:yes:

Attachments

• 1 SMALL.jpg
    1 SMALL.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 2 SMALL.jpg
    2 SMALL.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 3 SMALL.jpg
    3 SMALL.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 4 SMALL.jpg
    4 SMALL.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 5 SMALL.jpg
    5 SMALL.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 6 SMALL.jpg
    6 SMALL.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 7 SMALL.jpg
    7 SMALL.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 8 SMALL.jpg
    8 SMALL.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 9 SMALL.jpg
    9 SMALL.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 10 SMALL.jpg
    10 SMALL.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 11 SMALL.jpg
    11 SMALL.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 16 P.jpg
    16 P.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20181216_152107.jpg
    20181216_152107.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 105
16 merc

Congratulations on some great finds .A lot of nice silver there ! That is probably the best shape I have ever seen a 16' Merc in .

Really ?? I kind of thought so when I first saw the date , but then I was so much more concerned about praying for that D, I didn't think too much more about the coin being anything special......
I'll have to go back through and look through my early mercs to see if I had a 16 before...I know I've dug several 17s and 18s.....I guess I used up all my merc magic on my 1921 I dug this summer......

BTW, I've enjoyed seeing some creative user names on here.....
The dirt Diggler, and the 3.14R8, and a bunch of others......
I had never seen yours before....I love it........

Some fantastic digging Bob. Congrats on the five Silver's and all the rest. The Match holder is a amazing find. I really love the detail on it. Maybe next year the work schedule will cut back a bit to allow you a little more time. Still you have had a very nice year. Trapper

Really ?? I kind of thought so when I first saw the date , but then I was so much more concerned about praying for that D, I didn't think too much more about the coin being anything special......
I'll have to go back through and look through my early mercs to see if I had a 16 before...I know I've dug several 17s and 18s.....I guess I used up all my merc magic on my 1921 I dug this summer......

BTW, I've enjoyed seeing some creative user names on here.....
The dirt Diggler, and the 3.14R8, and a bunch of others......
I had never seen yours before....I love it........

I've dug quite a few Mercs over the years but I'm pretty sure I haven't dug a 1916 before ( I would have to check on that ) . Anything 1920 and below that I have found have been pretty worn ( my 17's are really bad ) .
Congrats on your 1921 ! Glad you like the name . I'm guessing your first name is Bob but I can't figure out the rest . Any clues ?

Back
Top Bottom