Best Hunt Ever...

BottleCapKing

Elite Member
So, I have done a ton of research in on particular town that has lead me to find (and I do not joke or exaggerate) approximately two dozen cellar holes and foundations. Many of them have no real public access and require several miles of hiking to get to them. They are on an old road that is apparently privately owned. By chance, I ran into the guy that owns the land (about 2400 acres). He said if you can find your way there, you can hunt.

I wasn't the only hunter there either. I saw at least three bird hunters there. Good thing I remembered to wear my "don't shoot me" orange hat and vest. Some of these guys were really good and made absolutely no noise in their passing.

I did some hunting there before, but found the land across the road from it more interesting. I am guessing there was either another home there or a barn/stables. I have pulled buttons from there previous and yesterday was no exception. I pulled a lead button - lead? I have found a lead button before. In addition a large tombac and a cuff button. I also pulled a large flat wat-zit that looks to be some sort of decorative piece and appears to have been at one point gilt.

The best part of the hunt came on a logging road. I was standing looking into the trees to discern whether some stones I saw was the remnants of a filled foundation or just random stones in a pile when I hear something moving in the brush to my left. I figured it was a squirrel or some such. But I was wrong. It was a bird. A biggish bird. It walked right towards me. It was a Ruffed Grouse. It stopped about six feet in front of me and lied down and well, groused at me. I watched it for a little bit, and proceeded on my way down the road. I stopped about 30 feet down and looked back to see how the bird was doing, and to my surprise, it was scurrying down the road behind me. So, I stopped and watched.

It walked right up to me and did some more grousing. It was standing about 2-3 feet from me and walking around me for a bit and stopped and was just looking up at me. I waited a few minutes and walked further down the road. And, so too did my new friend.

After about a half-hour of walking and stopping so Ruffy could catch up, I found a log to it on. There were other logs behind me, and once Ruffy caught up with me, it perched on a log right behind me. I sat there for another half hour or so, and so too did Ruffy. I wish I had by phone out the whole time, because Ruffy decided to perch on my detector shaft for a bit so it could continue to grouse at me. I didn't want to make any sudden motions that Ruffy might have considered un-neighborly. I did eventually manage to slowly extract my phone from my pocket and get a picture of Ruffy when it once again perched on a log behind my head. The picture was taken at about 2 feet.

I didn't find any old coins, but I did find a new friend. It was a unique experience for me. Nothing like this has ever happened to me out in the wild (though, I did have a black cat follow me around while hunting a park one night. It would follow me while searching, and lie down when I retrieved a target). Up until this point, I have never seen a Grouse in the wild. I have seen pheasant. I have seen quail. But this is my first grouse.

I got a good chuckle thinking that there were three hunters out there, roaming around looking for Grouse, and here I had one hanging out with me. But, today is a new day and I hope that Ruffy is alive and well. Ruffy seems to be a smart bird that knows the difference between hunters, and forest pirates.

All in all, best hunt ever.

Attachments

• foundation1.jpg
    foundation1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 311
  • pbbutton.jpg
    pbbutton.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 304
  • watzit.jpg
    watzit.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 312
  • ruffy.jpg
    ruffy.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 322
Great write up and hunt. Usually when I see grouse, they are being flushed and make me jump 6 feet in the air. Never had one do anything like you experienced.

Good luck at your spot

Great write up and hunt. Usually when I see grouse, they are being flushed and make me jump 6 feet in the air. Never had one do anything like you experienced.

That is my experience with grouse. lol

Great story, pic and finds.
Looked to be a very nice day to be in the woods.

Good luck next time.

What a cool experience you had BCK. I remember many years ago while deer hunting I was sitting on a log and one of them started walking towards me and pecking away at the dirt and got to about 3 feet from me, I didn't move an inch for about 2 or 3 minutes as it searched for insects I suppose, then it just walked away just as it came. Not sure if it knew I was there or just didn't care :lol:

The piece you can't identify, I have an identical one. I never ID'd it either, has the same design.

IIRC, it's about 1.5" and sort of heavy.

Good luck at your spot

Great story, pic and finds.
Looked to be a very nice day to be in the woods.

Good luck next time.

Thanks! I am sure there is more than buttons there. At the very least, there should be some Not Safe For Tom finds. I would love to find some old silver, but, I will find what I find.

What a cool experience you had BCK. I remember many years ago while deer hunting I was sitting on a log and one of them started walking towards me and pecking away at the dirt and got to about 3 feet from me, I didn't move an inch for about 2 or 3 minutes as it searched for insects I suppose, then it just walked away just as it came. Not sure if it knew I was there or just didn't care :lol:

Thanks! I suppose that if you don't point a shotgun at them, they don't seem to mind us.

The piece you can't identify, I have an identical one. I never ID'd it either, has the same design.

IIRC, it's about 1.5" and sort of heavy.

I figured it might have been a non-mass produced piece, but, I guess not. It would put it towards 1895-ish, early 20th century. This particular foundation was on an 1870 map of the town. I can find no record of when the house was actually built or when it was abandoned. Many of the other cellar holes I came across are not on the map, so I don't know if they are older than the map, or came after the map was drawn.

Fun hunt man, congrats on the nice oldies! Gonna be a few gems in that area, looking forward to future reports.

I am sure there is tons to be found. There has to be more than buttons, shotgun head stamps, and 30-30 casings. I still need to find the optimum path into and out of that place. My journey in wasn't as quick or clean as I had planned, and the way out was fricken brutal. You definitely don't want to be caught in that area after dark. Recall how thick the woods got around that first foundation I took you too in that area. Well, in placed, it gets much thicker. And, I just made it out while there was barely light.

BC King, great write up on your recent hunt and the new friend that you made while out in the field, he probably felt safe around you when he realized you weren't after him. Probably a fan of MDing too; birds of a feather...:grin:

Sounds like you had a great time and that’s what matters! Sometimes the finds are just bonus’s. Great post!

Maybe he could tell the difference between a shot gun and a metal detector.You all had orange on,right? I worked with one guy who was a mushroom hunter who told the same story, and after the first time, on return trips he would whistle the bird would come. He said it follow him around like a dog would. Even out into an open field where he would be exposed to avian predators. He filmed it climbing up his arm and pecking at his hat. The next season he went back but the grouse was not there. I guess some just have no fear of man. Thanks for your story enjoyed it . HH Mark

BC King, great write up on your recent hunt and the new friend that you made while out in the field, he probably felt safe around you when he realized you weren't after him. Probably a fan of MDing too; birds of a feather...:grin:

I have been called a bird brain before. Maybe they can tell. Maybe the bird just needed to grouse about all the hunters around.

Sounds like you had a great time and that’s what matters! Sometimes the finds are just bonus’s. Great post!

That I did. I am going back that way later in the week. I am going to go by the spot I ran into the bird last Saturday to see if Ruffy is still around and wants company.

Maybe he could tell the difference between a shot gun and a metal detector.You all had orange on,right? I worked with one guy who was a mushroom hunter who told the same story, and after the first time, on return trips he would whistle the bird would come. He said it follow him around like a dog would. Even out into an open field where he would be exposed to avian predators. He filmed it climbing up his arm and pecking at his hat. The next season he went back but the grouse was not there. I guess some just have no fear of man. Thanks for your story enjoyed it . HH Mark

Orange? Why orange? it is so unfashionable. I was wearing my really nifty Ring Necked Pheasant hunting outfit... Seriously, I was wearing don't shoot me hat and vest. I am going to see if I can find Ruffy again. I will get better pictures this time.

Back
Top Bottom