What are your other hobbies?

Usa

Elite Member
Just thought it would be interesting to see everybodies other hobbies. Any non-detecting related hobbies I would love to hear, I bet we probably have just about every hobby in the World represented here. I start it off with mine; I like serving the Lord, Hunting,fishing, traping, and music. Whats yours?:?:

Just thought it would be interesting to see everybodies other hobbies. Any non-detecting related hobbies I would love to hear, I bet we probably have just about every hobby in the World represented here. I start it off with mine; I like serving the Lord, Hunting,fishing, traping, and music. Whats yours?:?:

I collect hockey cards and hockey memorabilia and I love learning about the American Revolution. Also a pretty big Star Wars geek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoy golfing, sports, fishing, hunting, archery, yo-yoing, coin collecting, magnet fishing, computer programming, biking, making things, climbing trees, playing musical instruments & singing hymns, playing with Pets (German Shepherd & 8 Guinea Fowl), & also a lot of outdoor things.

20180411_153855 (Resized).jpg

Last edited:
For about thirty years it was silversmithing. I had wanted a silver ring like my friends had but living on a farm my father said it wasn't necessary. He finally said if I really wanted one, to make my own. I don't think he was serious but I decided to do it. After spending about an hour at the library I bought some silber and a turquoise stone on my way home. With some other basic tools I already owned I made my first ring. It didn't turn out to bad and I still have it. knowing what I do now I would have made it a little dirrerent. It was fun so I made some more. Then my friends wanted me to make them one. I learned by my mistakes. There came a time in my life when I was out of work so I decided to open a booth at a local flea market doing silversmithing. It lasted for over thirty years. I spent a lot of time doing repairs for customers and other dealers. My advice is never start doing that. It is more work and trouble than actually making rings. I finally retired after the flea market was sold and I didn't get along with the new manager. While I still have my equipment it is in storage since I live in an apartment where I can't use it. I enjoyed it while it lasted. Now I still metal detect, collect knives and am trying to write a book even though I doubt if anything will ever become of it.

Websters Student dictionary defines 'Hobby' as "An interest or activity engaged in for pleasure"...

Thinking back, my very first hobby was setting things on fire!...It was 1964 ish, the summer after Kennedy got shot, I was 5yrs old and infatuated with the magic and science of fire! I would collect sticks and stuff and pile them up, then, when my Dad got home from work, we would light it on fire! Oh what joy and madness! I can remember the lessons learned to this day! How to make it, how to control it, etc...

As I matured and mastered the hobby of fire, I diddled around with the catching of snakes and turtles, bugs and frogs, birds and rabbits, fish, fur bearing quadrupeds, you know, the basics...bow and arrow, wrist rocket, pitfalls, deadfalls, snares, set lines, box traps etc...all the various ways and means to catch something either alive or dead was of interest...Also digging holes! I loved to dig holes and build massive forts underground!

Then, in the 70's, as a pre teen, I became an excellent student of fist fighting and throwing things at people...also avoiding the Law and Authority figures of all sorts...riding bicycle for miles at night and the maintenance required...

In the late 70's early 80's I took up drinking and shooting barroom pool and Strumpet running...Trollop tracking, Flaxen haired floozie pursuing and luring disciplines...I got pretty good at drinking, but performed well below average on the rest...

I took up going to Church in the mid 80's and that was a fun Hobby! Plus, Pentecostal, a guy can just jump up and run around during the service and scream and holler all they wanted to without anybody thinking less of you for it! A guy got in shape without having to join a health club! I think Church is a good Hobby, as long as you dont take it too seriously! As in any Hobby, some folks just get carried away into obsession... :laughing:

Well, its good to have a foundation of hobbies to build an interesting Life upon, the skills you learn from one translate over into another...

I like Metal detecting on account of its a Hobby that can actually PAY for itself! Plus, I can use all the other Life skills to complement and add to my success! Hobbys teach perserverance and dealing with disappointment! Which comes in handy when a fellow gets married and gets a job...:lol:

FWIW, I can still set a 330 Conibear bear handed!..Been doing so since 1979...never had a tool, and learned how to do it ...Long time beaver trapper....I'm quite proud of this skill..

on my tombstone someday...'Well, he could set a 330 Conibear bear handed, also pretty good at throwing things and setting fires, other than that, digging holes and running around yelling and screaming'...:laughing:

Last edited:
I kinda like chasing wild women. The part that I have never been able to accomplish is the catching portion of that hobby. :(

Dirt fishing and water fishing are my two primary hobbies. The good thing is if it is a bad day for dirt fishing, rain, then it is a good day for water fishing. That is unless there is lightning, then it's time to go clean your finds.

BCD

Dirt fishing and water fishing are my two primary hobbies. The good thing is if it is a bad day for dirt fishing, rain, then it is a good day for water fishing. That is unless there is lightning, then it's time to go clean your finds.

BCD

What’s dirt fishing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bowl on a Reno league which means at the end of it, we go to Reno Nevada for our Sweeps night where we bowl for $$ and of course gamble all weekend.
For the last 20+ years living in South Orange County Ca.
I was on a Vegas League where we would sweep 2 times a year..

I kind of liken it all to metal detecting in that it's a hobby that has potential to pay for itself...

At 56, I like to party and rock n roll with my beautiful bride of 18 years.
In my spare time, I like gardening and gambling.

Kidding about the gardening.

Hunting, Fishing, Metal Detecting,

At one time I enjoyed Geocaching.

When my friend was still living we spent a lot of time at the range shooting an assortment of rifles, handguns and the occasional shotgun. We burned up a few hundred pounds of black powder in our muzzle loading guns. We both enjoyed reloading. Made it possible to maximize the accuracy of the weapon and also to shoot a lot more for the dollar invested.

Hiking, which coincides great with my other hobby of history being that many of my hikes walk me through history.

Back
Top Bottom