New Equinox 600 not working?

Jabomb9

Hello,

I just picked up a new Nox 600 and it finally finished charging. I just tried to turn it on and mess around with it a little bit but no tones are coming up at all? I ran it over a bunch of coins and nothing. I even did the factory preset and still no tones or target IDs.

Also, I turn it on and I hear a high pitched hum or buzzing. Is that something that’s normal?

Am I missing some critical step or is my unit defective?

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the equinox has a threshold, so you will always hear a constant hum unless you turn the threshold off. As for the coil not picking up targets, try to unplug coil and plug it back in, do a factory reset 3 times in a row and try again... If this doesn't work, I would call minelab if you haven't already, there new customer service center rocks! Good luck and happy hunting!

Sounds like unit could be defective.
Ensure coil cable is hooked up properly.

Undo it and reattach (screw) it back on.

Do factory reset.
If this doesn’t remedy.
Unit bad.
Could be coil causing too.

Thanks everyone. I have tried all the recommended fixes multiple times and still nothing. Waiting for minelab customer service to open, but I am wondering how they would handle this if it is indeed defective? Anyone know?

Wondering if it might be better/quicker to see if the shop I bought it from would swap it out..

:grin:s
Thanks everyone. I have tried all the recommended fixes multiple times and still nothing. Waiting for minelab customer service to open, but I am wondering how they would handle this if it is indeed defective? Anyone know?

Wondering if it might be better/quicker to see if the shop I bought it from would swap it out..

Won’t hurt to call your shop.
They may can help.

Please keep us all informed as you progress with getting your situation resolved.
Some folks question Minelab service.
So we’ll see how this works out.

I just called Minelab and spoke with customer service and she was quick to say it is a defective coil. She has heard of the problem before and said it has always turned out to be a defective coil.

So she gave me an RMA number and sent a prepaid UPS shipping label to cover the shipping costs. The normal protocol is for them to ship out a replacement coil once they receive the defective one, but she said she would ask for authorization to send out the replacement coil once the defective one is shipped. So I am still waiting to hear back if they’re going to be able to do thag or not.

She was pleasant to deal with and seemed knowledgeable so I’m hoping this fixes the issue. I just wish I was able to use it today 🙄

Just another update - Minelab approved to ship me my new coil once the defective one was shipped, but I contacted my shop and he was willing to just give me a new coil and deal with the RMA himself, so I was able to get a new coil yesterday and that ended up being the problem. But I was happy with Minelab’s response!

Hello,

I just picked up a new Nox 600 and it finally finished charging. I just tried to turn it on and mess around with it a little bit but no tones are coming up at all? I ran it over a bunch of coins and nothing. I even did the factory preset and still no tones or target IDs.

Also, I turn it on and I hear a high pitched hum or buzzing. Is that something that’s normal?

Am I missing some critical step or is my unit defective?

I would have been surprised if they did not take care of the problem ASAP and in a friendly manner. In this day and age of metal detecting forums companies cannot afford to have a unhappy camper in terms of detector reliability and or poor customer service. One or two dissatisfied customer airing their issues on a forum can kill future sales for the manufacturer.

In the sales cycle for expensive items most buyers are looking for reasons not to buy an expensive item because they don't want to waste their hard earned money. They may not think actively about this but it is almost always in the back of the buyer's mind.

Back
Top Bottom