E-trac VS. Spectra v3i

I.C

E-trac VS. Spectra v3i

Im looking to get a new high dollar detector someday.
Con's pro's
User reviews.
discussions
All would be greatfull

I've used both, but don't claim to be an expert on either.

I prefer the E-trac for finding targets (both target ID at depth, and the ability to separate targets and locate targets in the same hole with trash. I also prefer the noise cancellation (there is one area I can't even operate the V3 due to EMI issues, where the E-trac was fine) and the fact that I don't have to care about ground balance with the E-trac.

I prefer using the V3 target analysis and pinpointing once the once a target has been located. I find the pinpointing easier to use (tho the E-trac's is certainly usable), and I like the V3 telling me which frequency is dominant. I also prefer the V3 spectragraph system to the E-trac system. Finally, the V3 is easier on my arm (it never seems to get tired), where my arm tires easily when using the E-trac (I imagine this could vary person to person). I also really like the V3's target ID with no tone on rejected targets -- this is a sweet feature I miss on the E-trac.

In limited testing with both machines in the field at the same time, I found no target the E-trac saw that the V3 didn't (and vice versa), yet the E-trac target ID was much cleaner. I didn't find any targets deeper than 10 inches with either on that day, however, it was a very limited test. On the targets found in holes with other trash with the E-trac, I'm not sure the V3 would have ID'd them, tho I didn't have the machine along at the time to try that test. I have found one large copper with the E-trac at a site hit hard with careful gridding with the V3, at 10 inches with iron in the plug, but there is no guarantee that I actually passed over that target with the V3 (its probable). Overall, I have confidence that the E-trac is hitting the deep targets, and worry about the V3 past about 9 inches. As Detector alluded to, this could be a skill issue with the V3. I do run both machines pretty much as hot as possible, and the E-trac seems more stable.

I've had bad D2 coil issues with the V3, OTOH, White's customer service has been excellent.

As an overall summary, I prefer the E-trac on a technical basis, and the V3 on an ease of use basis. On the day I had both machines out for a test, I morphed into locating targets with the E-trac, and recovering them with the V3. I have yet to decide which machine to keep. I wish they would build a machine that combines the best of both :lol:

HTH

I prefer the E-trac for finding targets (both target ID at depth, and the ability to separate targets and locate targets in the same hole with trash. I also prefer the noise cancellation (there is one area I can't even operate the V3 due to EMI issues, where the E-trac was fine) and the fact that I don't have to care about ground balance with the E-trac.

I prefer using the V3 target analysis and pinpointing once the once a target has been located. I find the pinpointing easier to use (tho the E-trac's is certainly usable), and I like the V3 telling me which frequency is dominant. I also prefer the V3 spectragraph system to the E-trac system. Finally, the V3 is easier on my arm (it never seems to get tired), where my arm tires easily when using the E-trac (I imagine this could vary person to person). I also really like the V3's target ID with no tone on rejected targets -- this is a sweet feature I miss on the E-trac.

In limited testing with both machines in the field at the same time, I found no target the E-trac saw that the V3 didn't (and vice versa), yet the E-trac target ID was much cleaner. I didn't find any targets deeper than 10 inches with either on that day, however, it was a very limited test. On the targets found in holes with other trash with the E-trac, I'm not sure the V3 would have ID'd them, tho I didn't have the machine along at the time to try that test. I have found one large copper with the E-trac at a site hit hard with careful gridding with the V3, at 10 inches with iron in the plug, but there is no guarantee that I actually passed over that target with the V3 (its probable). Overall, I have confidence that the E-trac is hitting the deep targets, and worry about the V3 past about 9 inches. As Detector alluded to, this could be a skill issue with the V3. I do run both machines pretty much as hot as possible, and the E-trac seems more stable.

I've had bad D2 coil issues with the V3, OTOH, White's customer service has been excellent.

As an overall summary, I prefer the E-trac on a technical basis, and the V3 on an ease of use basis. On the day I had both machines out for a test, I morphed into locating targets with the E-trac, and recovering them with the V3. I have yet to decide which machine to keep. I wish they would build a machine that combines the best of both :lol:

HTH

Nice write up. It is a tough decision to choose between the two machines. I have never used either, but the V3 feels better in my hand. Even so I was all set to get an Etrac before I found out that their customer service is non existent. I also had worries about V3 reliability but those worries have been put to rest and a V3 is in my future. Good luck deciding!

How do the E-trac and V3 pinpointing compare with the ACE 250?

Though I have never pinpointed with either the Etrac or the V3, the word I hear is that the V3 is easier and more precise at pinpointing. I have pinpointed with a variety of detectors including the Ace 250. The Ace isn't too bad, but it was the most difficult to get the hang of (for me).

They both pinpoint very well compared to the ACE 250. The V3 does slightly better but the E-Tracs pinpoint mode can be adjusted to be very accurate as well. I preferred the "Sizing" mode for pinpointing.

I remember that thread. Nice to give it a re-read. BTW... How is your silver ratio these days?

As of 2010 I am at 57 pieces of silver coin and 125 Wheaties/ 4 IH's.

Not bad... Thanks for asking.

-Mark

Comparison

I never video'd it but I did a very comprehensive comparison between my Etrac and my V3i. I hunted new ground and old ground with each almost every day for a week. Deep inside I wanted the Etrac to outshine the V3i but I kept myself honest. As far as coins go the Etrac slayed the V3i in areas that had been hunted 1st with the V3i and areas that were hunted 1st with the Etrac the V3i rarely found anything new. As far as rings and relics the V3i was as good or better than the Etrac. I used stock programs with each during the comparison. When I used tweaked programs they were so close to equal I would have flipped a coin to make a decision on purchasing either one.

HTH

I have owned both detectors. The learning curve is much shorter for the E-Trac

Back
Top Bottom