• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New kid on the block from Georgia

CASEYDC

Hello all, I'm a pirate at heart entering into a new hobby. I scuba dive and enjoy the outdoors both on land in the water so I'm really looking forward to doing some treasure hunting. I live in Snellville, Georgia. Can anyone give me a little insight on the laws in my area? From what I've read and noticed that most people on forums are saying is that public land parks and schools are ok, private land/property requires permission from land owners and all federal and state lands,parks and schools are off limits? Is that basically correct? Any feed back would be great thanks.

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Some members will likely go into more detail, but basically if there is not a specific law against detecting on a certain area of public land it should be okay.

Of course if you see a sign that says "no metal detecting allowed" that really makes it obvious.

Protected official historical sites are more than likely off limits.

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

...and all federal and state lands,parks and schools are off limits? ...

really ? Since when ? Do a quick look down any md'ing forums show & tell sections. And you will see NO SHORTAGE of md'rs finding things from "parks and schools". How can that be ? :?: And no: Not all state and federal land is off-limits. Just avoid obvious sensitive monuments.

Welcome from Buford! You've got the gist of it. Check your local ordinances. Gwinnett Co. parks can be a pain depending on who catches you. I've hunted some without incident and others have been read the riot act. Mulch areas are safe as far as I can tell. Good luck. In that area, I'd sneak into the older areas and try to get permissions.

BCD

From Gwinnett P&R.

Sec. 70-33. - Damaging or removal of any park property or vegetation prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person to deface, graffiti, harm or damage any park buildings, wildlife, property, equipment or signs; or dig up, cut, damage or remove any trees, tree limbs, shrubbery, flowers, rocks, mulch, water, historical artifacts or other vegetation in a park or recreation facility.

Back
Top Bottom