Ace Did A Bad Dig

ME&MYACE400

Elite Member
Well my home was a 1910 home not a 1980 home. I had to throw some away not relizing I had put a bunch of ants in my pouch till I got home Ouch :shock: It turn out to be a very bad dig, but funny :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Attachments

• Feb222018a.jpg
    Feb222018a.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 303
  • Feb222018b.jpg
    Feb222018b.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 306
  • Feb222018c.jpg
    Feb222018c.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 306
Very nice report Ace . πŸ‘ Odd no coins showed up. Possibly hunted before I bet. Are you welcome back to work on it more? Love the photos

Those ants aren't any fun to tangle with. nice group of relics.. HH

Very nice report Ace . πŸ‘ Odd no coins showed up. Possibly hunted before I bet. Are you welcome back to work on it more? Love the photos

Yes i would be welcome back, though this person is somewhat a hoarder so there's a lot of stuff around. I am wondering if my settings are off. I keep trying different things but still not putting 2 and 2 together. Really need a co hunter:lol:

Yes i would be welcome back, though this person is somewhat a hoarder so there's a lot of stuff around. I am wondering if my settings are off. I keep trying different things but still not putting 2 and 2 together. Really need a co hunter:lol:

Ace , tonight's project . Get a penny a quarter and a dime and a nickel. Place them on the ground a couple feet apart . Scan them and make mental notes . don't dig the low grunts or low tones for a wile . The nickel will ring up pretty low . But the others should sound great . Then lift your coil up 8 inches and swing over them . Coins are small . Big junky targets can often be heard with your coil off the ground 10 inches . Coins and rings . Not so much . πŸ‘ Digging the low or mid tones here and there to learn about targets is fine but focus on the high tones and mix in some odd ones here and there to gain experience as you go. Dig good high targets and practice your recovery and digging technique first . If you don't want to go outside lay your detector on the table and run things under the coil in your hands to see what they sound like

Ace , tonight's project . Get a penny a quarter and a dime and a nickel. Place them on the ground a couple feet apart . Scan them and make mental notes . don't dig the low grunts or low tones for a wile . The nickel will ring up pretty low . But the others should sound great . Then lift your coil up 8 inches and swing over them . Coins are small . Big junky targets can often be heard with your coil off the ground 10 inches . Coins and rings . Not so much . πŸ‘ Digging the low or mid tones here and there to learn about targets is fine but focus on the high tones and mix in some odd ones here and there to gain experience as you go. Dig good high targets and practice your recovery and digging technique first . If you don't want to go outside lay your detector on the table and run things under the coil in your hands to see what they sound like

Ok, i'll report my report of what my numbers are. I hope they match to what everyone is reporting:grin:

Ace , tonight's project . Get a penny a quarter and a dime and a nickel. Place them on the ground a couple feet apart . Scan them and make mental notes . don't dig the low grunts or low tones for a wile . The nickel will ring up pretty low . But the others should sound great . Then lift your coil up 8 inches and swing over them . Coins are small . Big junky targets can often be heard with your coil off the ground 10 inches . Coins and rings . Not so much . �� Digging the low or mid tones here and there to learn about targets is fine but focus on the high tones and mix in some odd ones here and there to gain experience as you go. Dig good high targets and practice your recovery and digging technique first . If you don't want to go outside lay your detector on the table and run things under the coil in your hands to see what they sound like

Ok First Test, Outside We have wood floors and nails inside.
On Coin Mode

Penny 80 screen shows 6" beep Lift off 80 no beep and no depth shown
Nickel 40-42 Screen shows 6" beep Lift off 40-42 no beep and no depth shown
Dime 85-86 Screens 6" beep Lift off 85 no beep and no depth shown
Quarter 90 screen shows 6" lift of no beep and no depth shown

Very good Ace πŸ‘
So a penny rings up at 80
A nickel ( that should sound with lower tone the the others and has a lowers conductivity number of half the others at 40-42
The dime at 86 πŸ‘
The quarter at 90 πŸ‘ The highest numbers and tone .

Now you know how coins sound and what they ring up at .

The 6 inch depth reading with the coins sitting on the serface tells me your coil may be 5 inches off the ground as you swing . Make sure to get in the habbit of rubbing or at least tickling the grass pretty good during your entire swing. Try not to lift your coil off the ground even when it's way out to the side . Your machine can only see coins so far down into the dirt . The closer to the ground your coil is the further down you can find stuff.

You know you can not hear a coin at ten inches above it so targets that you can raise your coil over it that high and still hear it may be large and unwanted . Usually big things come in small packages in this game . There is always an exception sometimes though.

Another tip , silver rings up a little higher then our clad money . Very conductive . So I'm guessing a silver quarter might be a 92 or 50 cent piece .
Silver Dime maybe 87 or something . If you hunt older homes you will find them ! 😎

Also you will notice there are 3 types of pennies .
An old Indian head
A modern Zink
And our pre 1982 copper Lincolns and wheat pennies .

Based on the 80 number .. I am thinking you have a modern penny post1982 made of crusty zink and just a coat of copper on the outside .
You should find that a copper penny pre 1982 should ring up a little higher guessing 83 or something .
Please note that N Indian head is a little lower then a zink penny in most cases . So I'd be digging 70 and up when I'm coin shooting .
You also know your nickel numbers but pull tabs are very close and so is foil .

Here is a big tip also . If you scan a target and it dashes you pleasing numbers . Move to the side of it and scan it from another angle . If the tone or numbers jump or change odds are good it's trash . Remember it could be a good target with trash next to it . One way to find out . Dig it . But if your doing a permission or are in a place where you do not want to put holes all over the place or your short on time Cheri picking the better signals is a good option.
Gold can be any where in the numbers above iron or nails . Usually mid range like a nickel for 14 k . 10 k lower and 18 k more pure gold higher . Get it?

Hope this helps . Good targets are usually repeatable from two directions
Swing low and walk slow meaning move forward with baby steps . The center couple inches of your coil is the part that can see deepest it's a small area . So overlap your swings kind of like painting with a brush you overlap each stroke to get even coverage .
Your coil shoots a beem down and it starts as wide as your coil at the grass and then gets smaller like an ice cream cone at its deepest pont in the middle .
If you get a beep stop and work it over with a few swings . It may get stronger as you zero in and get the middle of your coil over it perfectly. That's how we find the deep stuff . We hear something .. maybe just a high blip and it stops us in our tracks ... then we work the coil over it and try to get it to repeat
You also learned as you scan deeper targets your numbers can be off . . Try not to hunt by numbers .. trust your ears and use numbers to confirm a good target
None of these rules are set in stone . If there is something that sounds good to you dig it . That's how we learn and find surprises πŸ™‚
Hope this helps .
, Dew

If your sick of studying or watching videos of guys digging good stuff all day there is a nice Tv series with 2 and now a third season out . It's called The Detectorists .
It can be found on net flix or you can watch on YouTube .
It a comedy light humor and a good show , start with season one . πŸ‘

Oh and keep doing the old home permissions and you will be posting this kinda stuff all the time πŸ‘ We have your back here if you have more questions Ace πŸ™‚

Attachments

• IMG_1313.jpg
    IMG_1313.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1676.jpg
    IMG_1676.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Very good Ace πŸ‘
So a penny rings up at 80
A nickel ( that should sound with lower tone the the others and has a lowers conductivity number of half the others at 40-42
The dime at 86 πŸ‘
The quarter at 90 πŸ‘ The highest numbers and tone .

Now you know how coins sound and what they ring up at .

The 6 inch depth reading with the coins sitting on the serface tells me your coil may be 5 inches off the ground as you swing . Make sure to get in the habbit of rubbing or at least tickling the grass pretty good during your entire swing. Try not to lift your coil off the ground even when it's way out to the side . Your machine can only see coins so far down into the dirt . The closer to the ground your coil is the further down you can find stuff.

You know you can not hear a coin at ten inches above it so targets that you can raise your coil over it that high and still hear it may be large and unwanted . Usually big things come in small packages in this game . There is always an exception sometimes though.

Another tip , silver rings up a little higher then our clad money . Very conductive . So I'm guessing a silver quarter might be a 92 or 50 cent piece .
Silver Dime maybe 87 or something . If you hunt older homes you will find them ! 😎

Also you will notice there are 3 types of pennies .
An old Indian head
A modern Zink
And our pre 1982 copper Lincolns and wheat pennies .

Based on the 80 number .. I am thinking you have a modern penny post1982 made of crusty zink and just a coat of copper on the outside .
You should find that a copper penny pre 1982 should ring up a little higher guessing 83 or something .
Please note that N Indian head is a little lower then a zink penny in most cases . So I'd be digging 70 and up when I'm coin shooting .
You also know your nickel numbers but pull tabs are very close and so is foil .

Here is a big tip also . If you scan a target and it dashes you pleasing numbers . Move to the side of it and scan it from another angle . If the tone or numbers jump or change odds are good it's trash . Remember it could be a good target with trash next to it . One way to find out . Dig it . But if your doing a permission or are in a place where you do not want to put holes all over the place or your short on time Cheri picking the better signals is a good option.
Gold can be any where in the numbers above iron or nails . Usually mid range like a nickel for 14 k . 10 k lower and 18 k more pure gold higher . Get it?

Hope this helps . Good targets are usually repeatable from two directions
Swing low and walk slow meaning move forward with baby steps . The center couple inches of your coil is the part that can see deepest it's a small area . So overlap your swings kind of like painting with a brush you overlap each stroke to get even coverage .
Your coil shoots a beem down and it starts as wide as your coil at the grass and then gets smaller like an ice cream cone at its deepest pont in the middle .
If you get a beep stop and work it over with a few swings . It may get stronger as you zero in and get the middle of your coil over it perfectly. That's how we find the deep stuff . We hear something .. maybe just a high blip and it stops us in our tracks ... then we work the coil over it and try to get it to repeat
You also learned as you scan deeper targets your numbers can be off . . Try not to hunt by numbers .. trust your ears and use numbers to confirm a good target
None of these rules are set in stone . If there is something that sounds good to you dig it . That's how we learn and find surprises πŸ™‚
Hope this helps .
, Dew

If your sick of studying or watching videos of guys digging good stuff all day there is a nice Tv series with 2 and now a third season out . It's called The Detectorists .
It can be found on net flix or you can watch on YouTube .
It a comedy light humor and a good show , start with season one . πŸ‘

Oh and keep doing the old home permissions and you will be posting this kinda stuff all the time πŸ‘ We have your back here if you have more questions Ace πŸ™‚

I wanted to say i try again around the yard with my new found numbers ;) and found nine cents hurray ;) i will post pictures tomorrow.
I am so happy with your help and will use it probably in the next trip.
Thank you ace

Back
Top Bottom