Couch Patatoes and MDing

Dirty Genu

Forum Supporter
I was MDing beside a gravel state road at a old home site 3 days ago. A guy driving by stopped and got out and said 'What you doing?'
I paused and said to myself this is gonna be good or bad. Answering his stupid question I said "I doing what one usually does with a metal detector." This guy went to jibber jabbering about where and how to MD. I'll spare you all the know-it-all that was coming out of his mouth. It went on for a couple of minutes and he never mentioned anything he had found. I'm usually a laid back nice guy, but this guy was wasting my time for blings. I finally interrupted him and said. "Hey Hoss, what's your best dig?" He said "Uh?" I said "What's the best thing you have ever found with a metal detector?" He said "Oh I just watch them boys on TV." It was at this point old DG had had it and I stopped him at "TV". I said nicely "Mister, It's not as easy as it seems on TV. May I suggest to you to buy a metal detector and try it for yourself before you try to educate somebody else." He started to say something else. I interrupted again not so nice. "NO, LEAVE NOW." His face turned blood red and he left. Everybody has a breaking point and I had reached mine.

So my point of sharing this is, we may not be in a athletic sport, but we do get off the couch, find some fresh air and enjoy the great outdoors.

Thanks for reading.
DG

Ain't that always the way it goes. I'm pretty much a beach hunter but also get my fair share of unwanted advice of "how and where" to hunt. Being able to wander off into the surf usually puts a damper on my would be benefactors.

Ain't that always the way it goes. I'm pretty much a beach hunter but also get my fair share of unwanted advice of "how and where" to hunt. Being able to wander off into the surf usually puts a damper on my would be benefactors.
Thanks Numil
Oh, Iv'e heard and read about bad happening's for beach hunters. Being in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia I'm usually out of sight of people.....Which can be a good thing.
DG

I was MDing beside a gravel state road at a old home site 3 days ago. A guy driving by stopped and got out and said 'What you doing?'
I paused and said to myself this is gonna be good or bad. Answering his stupid question I said "I doing what one usually does with a metal detector." This guy went to jibber jabbering about where and how to MD. I'll spare you all the know-it-all that was coming out of his mouth. It went on for a couple of minutes and he never mentioned anything he had found. I'm usually a laid back nice guy, but this guy was wasting my time for blings. I finally interrupted him and said. "Hey Hoss, what's your best dig?" He said "Uh?" I said "What's the best thing you have ever found with a metal detector?" He said "Oh I just watch them boys on TV." It was at this point old DG had had it and I stopped him at "TV". I said nicely "Mister, It's not as easy as it seems on TV. May I suggest to you to buy a metal detector and try it for yourself before you try to educate somebody else." He started to say something else. I interrupted again not so nice. "NO, LEAVE NOW." His face turned blood red and he left. Everybody has a breaking point and I had reached mine.

So my point of sharing this is, we may not be in a athletic sport, but we do get off the couch, find some fresh air and enjoy the great outdoors.

Thanks for reading.
DG

That is freaking hilarious. And I really needed a good chuckle. Thanks for sharing. That made my day that one of those couch potatoes got put in their place.

We've all been bit by know-it-alls who watched an episode or three of staged finds... My favorite is the people who all point to the same beach at our local reservoir. "you know... a great place to go detect would be..."

Yeah, because ME... with the metal detector, has NEVER considered that. LOL

Skippy

we may not be in a athletic sport, but we do get off the couch, find some fresh air and enjoy the great outdoors.

DG

Oh... one more thing you pointed out here. It's DEFINITELY not as easy at it looks. Sometimes people ask me why don't I just go exercise or something. I ask them if they can do 100 squats an hour for 5 hours while swinging 5 pounds at arms length. That usually shuts them up. LOL

I'm kind of the loner type , and this sport is kind of a loner type sport , in my opinion . I would'nt have had any problem sending him packing either . Good job.

I don't think I would have said to him what you did... sometimes its better to say nothing and just put your headphones back on and walk away...I have had encounters with long winded people and I just say it was nice talking but I am going back to hunting...

:laughing::laughing: Genu! Yes its a all too common problem within this Sport! Invariably, Some "Know it all" shows up and tells you what you are doing wrong! Swinging coil too fast, too slow, too high, too low, not the right settings, wrong location, wrong digger and kneepads etc...

Sort of like having a free 'Hank Hill' evaluation! We have all had experiences and even neighbors like that!...You can turn this into a positive though...Once, the floor of my house was sagging, and it obviously needed somebody to go down into the underfloor spiderwebbery crawl space, jack up the joists, and shim everything up....

As I was about to commence on this project, had all my tools and gear, One of my 'Know it all' neighbors came over...said, "Whatcha Doing?" I said, "Well, my floor is sagging in the middle, so what I'm gonna do is take this shovel and dig out around underneath the outer foundation walls, and then the whole floor will settle out level!" :laughing:

Of course he immediately took over the project, crawled under my house, jacked up the joists, shimmed them all in perfect!.....True story! Big work avoiding secret in Life is to never appear to be the smartest guy in the room with the solution...Theres a Genius out there for every Dummy!...The trick is to never be the Genius!....Nobody expects a whole lot out of a Dummy! Thats why we have elections, to give the Dummys some project to keep them occupied! The Geniuses have all the easy solutions on the nightly news!..:laughing:

Mr Mudpuppy , I still say , I so desperately want to be on the list for your 1st edition printing of your life's journey's , musing's , bibliography , fiction's , non fiction's , advice and life lesson's , whatever you want to call it , sign me up . :D

Mr Mudpuppy , I still say , I so desperately want to be on the list for your 1st edition printing of your life's journey's , musing's , bibliography , fiction's , non fiction's , advice and life lesson's , whatever you want to call it , sign me up . :D

Agreed!

Serious Mud, if you don't do something like this you're missing out. And depriving the rest of the world of a lot of entertainment, wisdom and life hacks. :yes:

That is freaking hilarious. And I really needed a good chuckle. Thanks for sharing. That made my day that one of those couch potatoes got put in their place.

We've all been bit by know-it-alls who watched an episode or three of staged finds... My favorite is the people who all point to the same beach at our local reservoir. "you know... a great place to go detect would be..."

Yeah, because ME... with the metal detector, has NEVER considered that. LOL

Skippy
Thanks for the reply Skippy.
Your last comment brings up another MDing subject. Where to hunt. Probably 19 out of 20 places we can find have been hit, but that one that hasn't makes it all worth it.
Just last week I got to go ahead to search a 1906 home place. It was still owned by the same family that built it. The grandson of the man that built it said it had never been searched. I was almost drooling on my way there. Wrong. It was about the cleanest place I've searched. Not even a Wheaty. Somebody dug everything. I'm going back once more with more time, but with less anticipation.
DG

I don't think I would have said to him what you did... sometimes its better to say nothing and just put your headphones back on and walk away...I have had encounters with long winded people and I just say it was nice talking but I am going back to hunting...
Usually I would have done the same as you, but this guy was talking to me like I was some kind of fool. You would have had to have been there. I wish I had filmed it. I probably handled it better than most 64 year old men that out weighed the jibber jabber by 70 pounds and had a trenching shovel in his hand. I did in fact point the shovel at him when I said NO LEAVE NOW.
Incidents like this are rare for me, because of the type places I hunt. If there is ever a next time, I'll turn on my camera and have some fun with whoever it is.
DG

Sometimes its hard to turn away from someone when they are yakking it up!
Yea. He pushed to hard and I had to bark back. The adrenaline switch in the back of my neck never came close to turning on. Thankfully that hasn't happened to me in decades. I'm diabetic also and we tend to have a shorter fuse. I've learned how to control mine.
DG

:laughing::laughing: Genu! Yes its a all too common problem within this Sport! Invariably, Some "Know it all" shows up and tells you what you are doing wrong! Swinging coil too fast, too slow, too high, too low, not the right settings, wrong location, wrong digger and kneepads etc...

Sort of like having a free 'Hank Hill' evaluation! We have all had experiences and even neighbors like that!...You can turn this into a positive though...Once, the floor of my house was sagging, and it obviously needed somebody to go down into the underfloor spiderwebbery crawl space, jack up the joists, and shim everything up....

As I was about to commence on this project, had all my tools and gear, One of my 'Know it all' neighbors came over...said, "Whatcha Doing?" I said, "Well, my floor is sagging in the middle, so what I'm gonna do is take this shovel and dig out around underneath the outer foundation walls, and then the whole floor will settle out level!" :laughing:

Of course he immediately took over the project, crawled under my house, jacked up the joists, shimmed them all in perfect!.....True story! Big work avoiding secret in Life is to never appear to be the smartest guy in the room with the solution...Theres a Genius out there for every Dummy!...The trick is to never be the Genius!....Nobody expects a whole lot out of a Dummy! Thats why we have elections, to give the Dummys some project to keep them occupied! The Geniuses have all the easy solutions on the nightly news!..:laughing:
In 1996 I had bad wind damage to my roof. My son and removed the shingles and put down new tar paper. It was threatening to rain and I was putting the shingles on in a way that my contractor brother in law had taught me when rain may catch you. I started at the bottom with 3 shingles on top of 2 1/2. Then the second course 2 1/2. Third course 3. etc etc up to the ridge. You don't put a nail in the end of the third shingle on every other course, so you can come back the next day and slide a shingle under the lose end.. By stopping at the ridge if the rain comes, you won't have leaks.
So here comes my know it all neighbor. He stood in the yard two stories down and said you are doing it all wrong, it's going to leak. I said not very nicely, It's my house and it's not going to leak. He left me alone for about a year and the roof hasn't leaked in 22 years.
DG

DG

*tips hat*

Well played, sir, well played..

Thanks for the reply Skippy.
Your last comment brings up another MDing subject. Where to hunt. Probably 19 out of 20 places we can find have been hit, but that one that hasn't makes it all worth it.
Just last week I got to go ahead to search a 1906 home place. It was still owned by the same family that built it. The grandson of the man that built it said it had never been searched. I was almost drooling on my way there. Wrong. It was about the cleanest place I've searched. Not even a Wheaty. Somebody dug everything. I'm going back once more with more time, but with less anticipation.
DG

Totally. I have hit places I swear are virgin ground schools, right next to schools that have been beat to death.

I've learned, too that fresh drops always happen in high traffic areas, so I go back time and again.

But "that beach"? THAT beach has 2 guys living near it in trailers year round, and they go out every day the reservoir drops and do another line on the edge. It's impossible to beat them to the goodies, as it's a 45 minute drive up there. I've gone several times, and the most I've ever made in a trip is $0.60. Not worth my time.

But... my favorite way to "test" a school is to do the obvious line in against the field edge, and if I come up short, I move 40 feet into the field. I'm no longer surprised at how much I find in school yards. I think 99% of the detectorists come do the first three strips against the edge and then give up, as they come up empty handed, and assume the school "has been cleaned out". My best finds are out 40 feet. Doing a true cross-field grid, can be mind-numbingly good!

So... Kudos to you for going back to the old house and giving it another go!

Cheers!

Skippy

Thanks for sharing your "encounter"!

Between the TV and the Internet, everyone is an expert these days.

:yes:

iu

Back
Top Bottom