1800s Cemetery

CenTexDetector

Hey guys,

So a couple of weeks ago, I went to the local library to do some research on my town in hopes of finding good places to metal detect. While there, I befriended an older lady that was there doing research as well. She is a member of the county historical commission and is also on the museum board of directors.

She told me she would try and get me permission to detect on a few places in the town. Just got a phone call from her and she said that I have permission to metal detect an old cemetery here in town from the 1800s where many confederate veterans are buried.

She got the approval of the City Manager, the Director of the Parks and Rec Dept. and the County Historical Commission.

Everything found would be presented to the County Historic Commission

Normally I would not seek out a cemetery to detect and I really didn't try to seek this one out, it just sort of came to me.

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever detected a cemetery? And if so, do you have any tips or advice?

Last edited:
Wow that's tough, but I mean if it's for historical research and it has been permitted... I wouldnt dig more than a foot though :laughing:

:hmmm:....:worms:.....:hornetsnest:

Haha this is how I feel about it....I mean I'm happy to help them for historical purposes...but at the same time, its a cemetery. Feels weird to be there and I don't want any passersby to get mad at me.

The cemetery itself hasn't been used since the 1920s

I would do it. Graves are 6 ft. down. Coins are 6 inches down. Hence no conflict.

In fact, I think you should get a medal and admiration for the altruistic selfless work you'll do, in potentially contributing cool items for the museum. :cool:

Normally bone yards are a big no go for me for the obvious reasons. In your scenerio this sounds more like researching and area versus just detecting and the finds will be donated to the local historical society. I'd make sure I have something in writing or someone there who can vouch for you, and then beat that place to death. Like others have mentioned, don't go too deep, leave the two-box at home. Also if you find something that was obviously left as a memorial at the base of a headstone (war medals etc.) I would just take a picture and put it right back where I found it.

I would think there is a little rest grove or picnic spot just outside the Cemetery...with water for the horses, shade tree, etc...Back then it was an all day event to go to the boneyard...I would see if I could visually locate that place, then I'd hit it...and since those items are outside the boundary, I would feel no need to offer them up...

There's a very good chance of old finds there. Doubtful anyone else has detected it. Good luck.

I would think there is a little rest grove or picnic spot just outside the Cemetery...with water for the horses, shade tree, etc...Back then it was an all day event to go to the boneyard...I would see if I could visually locate that place, then I'd hit it...and since those items are outside the boundary, I would feel no need to offer them up...

smart man here, might be a camp site as well. People who traveled from far often camped in adjcent fields to the cemetary, they put up food/rest tents all sorts of stuff. People from the whole town gathered. Nothing like todays funerals.

1800s grave yard

Hey guys,

So a couple of weeks ago, I went to the local library to do some research on my town in hopes of finding good places to metal detect. While there, I befriended an older lady that was there doing research as well. She is a member of the county historical commission and is also on the museum board of directors.

She told me she would try and get me permission to detect on a few places in the town. Just got a phone call from her and she said that I have permission to metal detect an old cemetery here in town from the 1800s where many confederate veterans are buried.

She got the approval of the City Manager, the Director of the Parks and Rec Dept. and the County Historical Commission.

Everything found would be presented to the County Historic Commission

Normally I would not seek out a cemetery to detect and I really didn't try to seek this one out, it just sort of came to me.

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever detected a cemetery? And if so, do you have any tips or advice?
If you feel weird about it get a orange safety vest put the letters staff on it , or borrow one from Parks and Rec. department , have a copy of your permission with you and detect like crazy. How far back does the custom go of putting a coin on the headstone of a visited soldier. Even today in the Philippines the family go to the grave site on the anniversary to light candles and share a meal. In the 1800s the grave yard was more like a park for many towns a meeting place , a place for a picnic , often lots of big shade trees . Endless possibilities. What ever you find maybe they will put a contributed by sign on it.

My Aunt went old lady crazy on some distant cousins that had cut through the cemetery on horseback. the family reunion story says she was so rough the horses were afraid to go near the cemetery.
A lot of people consider cemeteries sacred ground. I stay out of them out of respect for those who do. The outside of the fence is fair game.

Separating dead guys from things they are buried with is the only sure fire way to get them to haunt you for the rest of your life. ;)

The inside Scoop

From Paster Bob is needed on this one :shock:, as i always deemed them off limit's as the buried -REST IN PIECE, what would you say to a woman , saying something of -why are you digging around my husband's grave site ? , beside's even if you were to seek permission, some places are just OFF limit's for a reason, back to the woman, there is nothing you could say, you are disturbing her husband's grave site, in my :imo:, now have we all wondered what could be found Yes, but NO is the final answer .

Back
Top Bottom