Advice for a newbie

mitcheal

Hello all, my name is Mitch and am excited to get started with MD. I got a Ace 300 for Christmas. My initial test run in the backyard resulted in a piece of foil.

Being in Jacksonville Fl, i ran out to the beach today to try my luck. A few pull tabs and a penny. I did run into some issues, or could be due to my being new. I noticed that when i would swing too low and hit the sand, it would cause a beep. i also noticed the same thing if i put the coil into a tidal pool.

More often than not, i would get a signal, dig for it. swing the coil over the hole and what i dug out and no signal. like it was a false alert. this happened nonstop all day.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and ask for any advice on the above issues.

thanks,
mitch.

Hi and Welcome from a wee bit further south .. your detector wont do well the closer you get to the water .. but the dry sand you should have no Problems .. its not you but the detector .. No ground balance setting .but that is not to say it wont work either .

So the false readings are from the saltwater? I just googled detectors that are good for the beach, no way my wife will let me spend that much.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's eaiser to ask forgiveness than permission :)
I'm not familiar with that detector, I'm new myself but may try turning down the sensitivity?

Yep, you need a special detector for detecting in salt water and wet salt water sand. Without one all you can detect with your current detector successfully is dry sand.

beephead

Hello all, my name is Mitch and am excited to get started with MD. I got a Ace 300 for Christmas. My initial test run in the backyard resulted in a piece of foil.

Being in Jacksonville Fl, i ran out to the beach today to try my luck. A few pull tabs and a penny. I did run into some issues, or could be due to my being new. I noticed that when i would swing too low and hit the sand, it would cause a beep. i also noticed the same thing if i put the coil into a tidal pool.

More often than not, i would get a signal, dig for it. swing the coil over the hole and what i dug out and no signal. like it was a false alert. this happened nonstop all day.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and ask for any advice on the above issues.

thanks,
mitch.

Bumping your coil and getting audio or beeps, is not uncommon.
Even bumping on weeds, sides of porches, etc.

your detector will work on wet sand one of the problems will be when you dig a hole in wet sand and then swing back over it will false on the hole .you can do one of two things ,if you hear a target dig hard and fast and throw your sand up slope away from water then rescan the sand you just threw away from hole your target should be there .the other way is dig your hole with gentle slope angles that way when you rescan your holes there is less chance of falsing ,also as a beginner dont be afraid to disc out iron and back off your sensitivity a little when in wet sand

Go hit the dry sand and look for jewelry and coins. Hopefully you find a nice piece or 2 of jewelry you can sell. The coins will add up quickly when you find your rhythm. You should be able to put together $300-400 in a few months in coins alone. Then upgrade to a nice used detector that will work better on the beach. Keep upgrading from there.

Thanks for the help guys. I just want to verify it's saltwater due to the minerals. Fresh water should be ok?

Bumping against anything can cause a beep if your cord isn't wrapped properly. First loop should be over top of shaft with just a little slack.

Take a couple "known" objects with you. A silver coin, clad quarter, your wedding ring etc. Bury each in the dry sand, maybe 3" deep. Get a sense of what your machine sounds like and your best swing speed etc. Starting out by just guessing how it will all work will get frustrating.

thanks,
mitch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2PaIANfaO1A
Here ya' go! Might wanna also search "Crackbadger" on YouTube.

Hi Mitch. I’m in Yulee just up the road.
First of all, we have a local club in Jax. We meet the second Tuesdays of the month at the Picadelli Cafeteria on University Blvd at Beach Blvd at 7pm. Come check us out.
I started with the Ace 250 and often used it at the beach but as you’ve learned the dry sand is your best bet. Freshwater is no problem as long as you don’t get the control box wet. It’s a great starter machine. I recommended one to someone I met last year. Their second hunt he found an 1876 $20 Double Eagle down in Clay County.

Hi Mitch. I’m in Yulee just up the road.
First of all, we have a local club in Jax. We meet the second Tuesdays of the month at the Picadelli Cafeteria on University Blvd at Beach Blvd at 7pm. Come check us out.
I started with the Ace 250 and often used it at the beach but as you’ve learned the dry sand is your best bet. Freshwater is no problem as long as you don’t get the control box wet. It’s a great starter machine. I recommended one to someone I met last year. Their second hunt he found an 1876 $20 Double Eagle down in Clay County.
Chip, will hopefully make it next Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom