what's the hardest thing about metal detecting?

playin4funami

Elite Member
fun thread, what is your least favorite part?

Mine would have to be finding the time I want to spend detecting, without someone else ruining my plans for the day.

The look from my wife when I'm excited that I found 3 wheaties, a clad dime and quarter, and a square nail in 30 minutes! [emoji52]

Oh: ticks and sunburn...

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.”

– Johnny Depp

When MD'ing the beach I get peppered with the "what's the best thing you've ever found" question. Maybe because of the high number of tourists I get that question at least once per hour, perhaps more. Standard answer these days is "My best find is my wife!" then I move on.

I score points with the Mrs and deflect the askee at the same time but it does get annoying some days esp when they wander out into the water and bother me there.

For me,, is getting access,,with having to cope with things like deer season and turkey season... These along with some of th coldest weather,,,put a squeeze on the number of actual detecting days available. And when the grass and weeds are real high,,with some of the hotter/ hottest weather in Jul/Aug.

Not a lot of days per year to really get to go where I really want to.

This sorta does preserve the sites a bit though.

Actually getting out.. Then getting my time eaten into by people when I actually do. I try to be friendly, but many times I pretend as if I do not hear them and point to my headphones and try to move on

Trying to not dig everything. And when I don't, wondering if I missed that find of a lifetime. :lol:

Hardest part for me is quitting for the day. No matter how much or how little I find at a spot I always want to stay and keep hitting it. Even in my pain I have a hard time leaving.

Probably finding the time to get out. Not nearly as much as I'd like. And pull tabs/can slaw.

The hardest part is trying to spend all the money I make selling my finds! I'm the guy in that White's detecting commercial that found the diamond ring, silver coins and stuff my first time out.:D Just kidding, but it sure sounded good as I typed it.:lol: The hardest part is convincing non MDers that it really isn't a money making hobby. So many of them believe the hype and think it is a good way to get money. How many times have you heard " how long did it take to pay for your detector?". While it is true, we can and do make some money with finds, any minimum wage job would pay a lot more money. I detect because I enjoy it!

Back
Top Bottom