Sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

Acey

Went to a Super Bowl game party Sunday evening. Met a young lady there and we struck up a conversation when I mention about metal detecting. She and her husband have just purchased a Whites detector and she asked me if there was any place near a town she had a friend who owns a 300 acre farm. I said I knew of a few places in that area. She got out her smart phone and called up an aerial photo of the friends farm. Turns out her friends property back up and has a joint property line with about a 300 acre track of land which is all young pine. About 8' tall. I tell her that there was a Confederate Camp on the track of land her friends farm is next to. Told her I had permission back in the 80's and 90's to hunt there but last year when I tried to get permission again was told there were new land owners of the track of land and they wouldn't allow no one on the property; not even a hunt club which had been renting the land for 40 years. She asked me if her friend gave her and her husband permission to drive to the back of their farm and park and just enter into the track of pines, would I go with them and show them where to hunt. The land is not posted and not even on it's road frontage. This is the camp I've told the story of Wayne finding a spoon with a N.C. Reg. number and the three initials. What would you all do. Acey

Sounds like a nice spot, but still you need to get permission to break out the machines and go digging , it's how you build a relationship and trust with the land owner. IF you get caught hunting it , it could lead to a bad situation, not mentioning what could have been a spot you could have hunted for yrs. to come , turning into a get off and don't ever let me catch you here again. Permission to drive on to the property is one thing , but metal detecting to some land owners is another. The rewards of getting permission will pay off in a big way , and offering up a few relics to the land owners is always a plus. That is just my opinion after nearly 20 yrs. of digging relics. Believe me it's a win, win situation.

Why do people look for permission from others here to trespass? For the life of me I'll never understand that.

I've greeted more than one trespasser who were given seconds to unazz my property before they learned the hard way.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to get permission again was told there were new land owners of the track of land and they wouldn't allow no one on the property; not even a hunt club which had been renting the land for 40 years.

What would you all do. Acey

I'm glad I have other things I have to do since aiding in trespassing and attempted theft of artifacts from private property is what you have to do apparently...:no:

While this sounds like a good opportunity, if the property is owned, then so are any and all artifacts/relics. I could not, in good conscience, detect on private property without the owner's permission. Hope this helps. Happy hunting! :grin:

Last edited:
Why dont you just detect her friends 300 acres??

He can't get back at the new land owners for not granting hunting permission that way, now can he...? Maybe getting reimbursed for the information on a known good site to raid from these new contacts? Lots of "reasons" people do reprehensible things. Not that they're logical "reasons". Another great perk of living in a society where "truth" and "fact" are self defined.

Well, there's really no decision to be made is there? You were told no.

Now, it sounds to me like you haven't talked directly to the new owners. I would talk to them directly, tell them your history with the property. Maybe even offer to share some of the finds.

I've only had a couple of landowners tell me no. You've just got to be honest and smooze them a little and you'll be surprised.

Keep us updated and good luck.

First of all, I wouldnt be striking up Metal Detecting conversations with strange women at Super Bowl parties...I simply cant imagine this being even a remote possibility... If I somehow did find myself in this inconceivable situation, and during which I discovered she was married, a noob to the Sport, picking my brain for MY sites.... I'd end the dialog politely and walk away.....I'd kick myself in the @ss for letting it get that far....

Furthermore, getting dragged into a wilderness trespassing situation by a couple of strangers you met at a party sounds like a CL rob/kill kind of deal, so I would certainly not encourage dialog with talk about CW spoons and whatnot...Why the hell would you show THEM where to hunt? Did they give you $100? Its a bad idea to try to impress Strangers..to what end?..

If you want to go and trespass, why get these two involved? Or even ask us for advice? Just go and do it yourself quietly! Plus, Striking up metal detecting conversations at Parties is never a good idea!...May as well be talking Religion or Politics, or showing people pictures of your grandkids!:laughing:

Sorry if this came off as harsh...but dude...theres no Win Win here for anybody involved I can see...Just trying to save you some trouble....Although, If on the other hand, she was a rich young lonely Widow, and I was not married? Yeah...I'd probably hop a fence and hunt a Gettysburg if thats what it took to impress her! :laughing:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom