Had this coin for years

jruckman38

Elite Member
Do think someone started a coin ring or a mint error.

Attachments

• 1492F9EC-E6F8-4CCC-99F8-3C9E393D6D21.jpeg
    1492F9EC-E6F8-4CCC-99F8-3C9E393D6D21.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 426
  • 5ED35653-60C8-4373-A139-3F1AD5D926E9.jpeg
    5ED35653-60C8-4373-A139-3F1AD5D926E9.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 401
Not a mint error unfortunately but there are many things that could have caused it.

Do think someone started a coin ring or a mint error.

jruckman. First thought was dryer rolling (a coin stuck in there, will have enough pressure to do that. This is different than drying "tossing" where it just dangles in dryer pan. We're talking about a wedge and rolling action.

BUT... typically when that happens, it FLATTENS the outer edge causing it to functionally shrink in diameter. What your penny looks like is a coin that is actually a double planchet that got squeezed something fierce when being stamped, and the only place for the extra copper to go was the lip.

The very best thing you can do is two things.

1) WEIGH it. If it weighs more than a regular penny, then bingo, you have a winner. Guaranteed mint error, and one that would be extremely rare. Either a double planchet, or something else. You'll need something that does 100'ths of grams.

2) MICROMETER CHECK. Is the diameter of the penny EXACTLY on point? If so, it wasn't a dryer roll, and something else is going on. The fact that the lip is so thick (from edge to center) is what gives me pause.

Personally, I'm banking on laundry roll, simply because the metal looks "squished" over the details of the coin. But, do #1 and #2 and get back to us, eh?

Skippy

My first thought and 2 cents worth..😁 is there was too much copper that was stamped as Skippy said. It looks bigger but that could be an optical illusion.

It does look like that a lot. Thank you for the info.

It does, except for dryer coins get smaller in diameter as they are squished. Your's looks the same size... for a whole lot of squishing. I still would check the diameter and weight.

Skippy

It could be the beginning process for making a single sided coin-ring, although yours looks too perfect. Initially, the coin ring making first stage is to tap the outside of a coin, until the lettering around the outside of the coin turns about 90%. Then, you cut out the center, polish it and you are done. Below are some coin rings I made many years ago. The 2 on the right are the single sided coins.

Attachments

• mpore rings.jpg
    mpore rings.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 240
Back
Top Bottom