Big Copper

stetam

Elite Member
Anyone want to venture a guess what it is before I clean it? Found behing an old church. And whats the best way to clean it?

Attachments

• IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 331
I know I know ! It's commonly referred to as a Washington quarter. Value : .25c. Age: circa 1989 . Method of cleaning ? Gee, seems ok to me just like it is. Any other questions ? :cool3:

Tooth picks are a safe bet for cleaning. On some of my toasted coppers I tried different cleaning methods using chemicals and nothing made it great, usually everything turns jet black and really made it look worse.

Make sure the coin is super dry, then use some toothpicks to slowly chisel at it. There's some good youtube videos on methods around.

Tried the toothpick method and that wasn't denting it due to all the corrosion. Not worth anything the way it is so into the tumbler it went to try and get anything to identify it.

Well is is starting to clean up slightly with the edges looking gold in color and I should be able to identify it later today once the green is gone. However I am a little confused because the coin seems quite heavy for copper. Here are some crappy phone pics of current condition. Will use my camera when it's cleaner.

Attachments

• IMG_1949.jpg
    IMG_1949.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom