Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:01 PM

Default Diamond Earring...maybe

I know a local swimming hole that is very, very popular in the summertime. This time of year (winter) is good to MD as the water is low. I have been there three or four times and have found several rings, earrings, and bracelets with each visit.

The gold earrings are completely tarnish free. Probably plated. Maybe a little value there. The diamond earrings are mostly always Cubic Zirconian. Well, that is, I can see the large ones are fake, but the small ones are worth checking closer. (I assume most local girls wouldn't wear large diamonds while swimming.)

I have read that if the diamond has been ground at its outermost edges (the girdle area) then it is very likely a fake. Real diamonds cannot be ground, they must be cut instead. The girdle should be a series of sharp edges that form a polygon when viewed from above or below.

I found one that fits that description. I will take it to my local jeweler tomorrow to have it checked. (Fingers crossed.) It looks to be about 1/4 carat.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Official Tot Lot King

Post your jewelers findings here....we want to know! If you have a loupe, examine the stones interior carefully....if you think it is a perfect stone, then likely it is a fake. The majority of real diamonds have small spots, inclusions, either clear called icicles or black spots of carbon in them. If you see those, then get it to a jeweler!

Best of luck!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:54 PM

Thanks, your Highness.

I just got back from the jeweler. She said the diamond is a fake.

However, she did point out something about the golden hoop earrings in my bag. They had a stamp on the ear wire. One said 14K, one said 10K, and the third has no stamp at all. None of the gold earrings will stick to the magnet on my digging pick. (Well, one tries to but it falls away under its own weight. Perhaps it is mixed with cheaper metal.)

I suppose the outing was not a complete loss. Besides, I am learning plenty of good stuff.