Opinion on lost class ring

foreverRich

Forum Supporter
In July I found a high school class ring in the sand at Virginia Beach. I posted the find on the forum and started a search for the one who lost it. After many dead ends I finally located the owner. It was a young surfer from my area. I contacted him about the ring and he informed me of where and when he lost it. I sent him my e-mail and phone number, so he could get up with me and reclaim it. That has been several months ago and still have not heard anything more from him. Don't understand if he got it replaced by the loss insurance or just doesn't care about it. He graduates in 2010 and I would think it would mean more to him than that. Do you think I should just keep it and forget it??:?:

Attachments

• 7242009 Ring.jpg
    7242009 Ring.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 681
You could either try mailing it to him or send it to Midwest for melt value...

I found the owner of a 1982 class ring and when I tried returning it she told me to bug off... I spent weeks searching for her... now I don't bother... school rings are found money for me :)

Send him another email, and if no reply do what you like with it.
You have at least made an effort .

Just in case his computer crashed or something (speaking from experience), send him another email. Who knows, he may be pulling his hair out for losing your contact info! Then if no response, yours to keep.

I certainly do hope that if MY class ring were miraculously found (stolen years ago), someone would try to contact me and not just sell it for scrap or add it to the collection. Just my 2 cents.

May I recommend that you tell him in your correspondance that you will only hold the ring for him for 30 more days and then it becomes yours.

Even after you told me that story a month back at the beach Hollis, I still don't see what his reluctance seems to be. Could have just forgot, or fogured whatever, mommy'll buy another.

You did your part...

Call the local news paper. Let them do a story on it. ;-) Send the local TV people over to do a story on it. LOL

Jerry

I agree if you tried to get it to them and they haven't made an effort to get it from you then i say its yours, finders keepers. sell it for melt value for your troubles.

If he really cared about it he would have followed up. Still, since you made the initial effort in finding him it wouldnt hurt to send another email with your contact info on it and like others have said that you will hold it for a certain amount of time , then if no word just keep it. Most of the time people have either replaced it by now or just accepted that its gone and dont care anymore. You cant force people to want their ring back. Its finders/ keepers in my book.

Just blast him off one email with a note about,"10 days from now,I'm including this ring in my crucible for a melt and I wanted to offer it to you one last time"
Not even worth a stamp!.......just email.
My 2 cents worth.

Buy a jewelry scale,(about $15.00)and take a photo of the ring showing the weight and spend $2.00 on an Ebay ad......you will be surprised on what it goes for............You tried to do the right thing now enjoy your find.

One more email and then sell it

Send him another email, and if no reply do what you like with it.
You have at least made an effort .

I agree with sending him one more email, that way if he ever tries to come back at you for selling it you can show that you have done your best;)

Mike

I'd go through the school. Maybe something happened to keep him from contacting you. Not sure.

All of this class ring stuff is catching my attention.
Our daughter is getting one this year and she's taking her time choosing its design. She knows what she wants, what she doesn't want, and has this extreme fear of losing it. "It's going to be expensive," she said after looking at the designs and costs. She's taking great care in choosing this ring's design. We told her it will be engraved inside with her name, and besides.. if she loses it we have metal detectors. She asked, "What if someone else finds it and doesn't return it?"

That question broke my heart because it told me how much the ring will mean to her when she finally gets it. All I could tell her was, "If someone finds it and it has your name on it, they'll try to get it back to you. Trust me."

God forbid, if that ever does happen, I hope they do.

My suggestion was going to be taking it to the school. Since it's class of 2010, this person should still be a student there this year. Just drop it off at the office and let them know it belongs to "Jim Bob Surfer". I'm sure they'd return it or call the student down to the office to retreive it.

Back
Top Bottom