• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

The case of the missing monastery?

Doug

Elite Member
There is evidence both documented and on the ground there was a monastery situated within the farm buildings although the exact site is still unknown.

At one time in the 13th century the monastery housed eight monks and an abbot.

The house in the photograph is known locally as the 'The Monks House.'

Although I have never found anything religious there are lots of coins and artefacts to indicate the fields were well used over time.

Also the main Roman road runs along side these fields so they have seen a lot of passing traffic over the centuries.(AD43-410)

Thanks for looking........Doug.

The Monks house.
moukI3X.jpg

Silver coins.

Vvf28Gs.jpg

rJz8aJJ.jpg

Copper coins.
zzk0HOA.jpg

Decimal and pre-decimal coins.

r6JytRN.jpg

Unreadable coins.

HKFnZKL.jpg

Buckles and boot/shoe clasp
KtiBV86.jpg

Top left, protective metal cap used to put on the tip of cattle horns.
AxwAjfC.jpg

Button.
MTDlZZA.jpg

Buckle.
ZVjGJkf.jpg

Unknown item?
VCGVir8.jpg

William 3rd shilling 1697
qCpdj8j.jpg

Victoria half-crown 1897.
tCDUwm2.jpg

Unknown hammered silver coin.
BE8Osvx.jpg

Metal dog from a Monopoly set?
eklyLdI.jpg

George 5th 1935 surface find sixpence.
wjHX2lT.jpg

Old penny that I 'flicked' out of the ground with my spade!
EiDcZdq.jpg

Uniface coin-weight for the gold ryal (rose noble), dating to the period c. 1464-c. 1600.
OTBey0O.jpg

Local trade token
2gFGgU6.jpg

....and finally we do dig 'trash' over this side of the pond, this is just one day from this week......;)
usU5h0e.jpg

I love these posts. I just drool at what comes out of those fields. I love them, I love them. I loves them a lots..

Thanks for posting!

Skippy

Hey Doug! Are there any aerial photos available of this site that might show foundation lines or something like that?

Thank you for your kind words and views.

Sorry about the delay in replying.

Off topic.

We are due out to the US in a few weeks time on vacation only to receive an email this morning from British Airways to say that due to industrial action by their pilot's our flights had been cancelled.

I spent a most of the day trying to rebook our flights.

Now our flights are back on!

"British Airways has admitted it made a mistake when it advised passengers flights were cancelled, and told them to book new ones.

Passengers have described "confusion" as cancelled flights were reinstated, but only after some of them rebooked.

Pilots are set to strike next month, but some people with flights on non-strike days were told to rebook, or get a refund.

BA apologised for any concern caused and said the email was an "error".

"We are getting in touch with all those customers this afternoon to clarify that their flight will go ahead as planned," a spokesman said.

"We are sorry for any confusion and inconvenience this has caused."

Hey Doug! Are there any aerial photos available of this site that might show foundation lines or something like that?

Yes Ron there are aerial views of the farm and maps of 1899 but nothing looks out of the ordinary other than a name change for the farm.

LiDAR is available for the area but that shows nothing out of the ordinary.

Some of the farm building walls are made out of the local stone which suggests that at sometime in the past a building may have been demolished to build the farm house.

LiDAR

"LiDAR is an acronym for Light Detection And Ranging. LiDAR technology uses light sensors to measure the distance between the sensor and the target object. From an aircraft this includes objects such as the ground, buildings and vegetation."

Dang those are awesome finds. Where in the US are you heading?

Hope you find some US gold :) Maybe a 10 dollar gold piece (a 20 dollar piece would be being greedy :) )

Nice finds! Someday to the UK! I hope you have a nice US visit [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom