Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Lost and Found

Old 02-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ~Alan~ View post
Easy to be wise after the event I know, but I would have taken it back myself, and asked the lady for a discription before handing it over.
same here, i would have tried to get a description first rather than just giving it to a kid and have them run it over to her.
as far as people offering a reward? well, i know some people who will NOT let you do anything for them for free! they are downright insulted if you try refusing a token of their gratitude.

Pete

Old 02-20-2011, 10:05 AM
Elite Member

Sorry but I don't know if I believe many of you. Did you really get into this hobby to return your finds? Do you search for the owners of all the coins you find too? Now if you find something that is easily identifiable then returning it will probably give you a better feeling than keeping it.

As far as a reward I think its common sense, if they offer it you should accept it especially if you can tell they can afford it. Even if they offer you $50 and you say how about just $25? Completely turning it down can be insulting.

FINDERS KEEPERS WITH A FEW EXCEPTIONS!!!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ~Alan~ View post
Easy to be wise after the event I know, but I would have taken it back myself, and asked the lady for a discription before handing it over.
I had no doubt about the ring being hers. It was right where they said it was lost. I didn't even know one had been lost before I got there.

[QUOTE=tjr35;698490]Sorry but I don't know if I believe many of you. Did you really get into this hobby to return your finds?

I got into the hobby for the enjoyment of finding the unknown. I'll return anything that I can identify the owner and I would hope they would do the same for me. I would even return money if I saw them drop it or knew some how that it was theirs. Coins I find detecting aren't the same.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 PM

Cool thread...

I think I would offer this service in exchange for searching rights on property that I found interesting, or free otherwise.

I do like the idea of getting a picture, and helping somebody out essentially for free, but I would hate to leave unearthed something interesting that could have been a great keepsake for them or myself.

Of course, I say this having never even held a metal detector as of yet... (Amazon.com has not yet shipped my F2).

Old 03-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Elite Member

My son just found a ring Sunday (another post) and they insisted on giving us a reward ($100) for finding the guys wedding ring. I have been on both sides of this giving/receiving fence and know that learning how to receive can sometimes be harder than how to give. I got to do both in a sense as I eventually accepted the reward but insisted my son (10) get the money as he actually found it.

I learned how to receive when my basement apartment burned up years ago and I didn't have insurance. My friends, family, church....everybody, taught me how to receive in so many ways. Since then I've become a better giver and receiver. There can be great GOOD in that flow.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:56 PM
In memory of...

I hear ya, bro......took me a few years to learn that........

Dusty

Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 PM

same here, good karma will always be returned in some way.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Elite Member

I am up in the air on this one. I kinda got tired of taking the time to hunt people down to return their item and to barely get a thank you. Let alone even offer a reward. I find too many phones, it is time consuming finding all these people, and if I can't charge the phone to get info. The time I spent hunting people down I could be hunting the beach. If someone contact me specifically then No I probably would not take the reward (unless they insist a few times) just knowing they would be grateful.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:26 PM
In memory of...

When people call me to find something they lost, I charge a modest fee for my time, effort, and gas money (average yards are a flat rate, farms/ranches go by the hour). If the person is in a bad way (run down house, clunker car or no car at all, elderly, etc) I do my search and just ask them to put an extra coin in their church collection plate for me........don't know how many REALLY do that, but at least I can sleep at night!!!!

Dusty

Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by JBEXPRESS View post
Well it all depends on where I travel to and how long it took to find it, If they offer a reward and depending on how much sure I will take it, But if it's near by and only took 30-60 mins to find then no biggie. Glad to help people out.
My sentiments exactly! With gas prices the way they are you'd think they would offer something. If they can't afford it a "Thank You" goes along way.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:36 PM

Good Deed

Old 03-12-2011, 03:47 AM
Elite Member

I would never expect something, but I don't know how insistant I would be about turning it down. I guess it all comes down to the situation, the people involved and what it was. I found a young girls phone a few weeks ago in a tot lot. I was able to turn it on, find "mom" or "dad" in the caller list and called and got a hold of the mother. We met an hour later and she said TYVM. A reward never crossed my mind. Guess cause CP's are a dime a dozen now days.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:59 PM
In memory of...

My neighbor's daughter asked me the other day to help her find her IPod. Took my "loaner" BH to the edge of the pond near her back yard and found it in less than 5 minutes in a bunch of cattails. Never thought of any "fee", her parents are good folks and keep an eye on my mom when I'm out in the boonies......

Dusty

Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 PM

I completely agree! I would jump on the chance to help someone find their lost items, reward or not! A pic and dinner sounds like a fair reward!

Old 03-17-2011, 09:33 PM

I carry my Iphone with me all the time. A must photo for the album. A photo of the item and one with the owner with the returned item. Anything else is gravy. Gas money, dinner, a donation to a charity ( My charity is Children’s Hospital Oakland) or even a cold soda.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Elite Member

Default Wedding ring returned

Years ago one of the fellows I worked with ask me If I thought I could find his wifes wedding ring. He was pretty upset about her losing it as he paid around 4,000 for it. I said sure I can find it if she knew about where she lost it. She was working in a flower bed at work and had removed her ring and put it in her shirt pocket where it fell out at some point. Only took me about 10 minutes to locate the ring needless to say both were very happy I was able to find it. The next week at work my friend brought me a thank you card from his wife On the out side it read thank you from the bottom of my butt the inside read It's much bigger than my heart! That was reward enough a good laugh.