Interesting Morgan

Mud-puppy

Forum Supporter
I went to a coin show yesterday in order to transubstantiate modern bastard metal clad and a few spare paper fiats into Noble Metal metallic disks...While rifling through a tub of non-numismatic value Silver coins, appropriately priced by an unscrupulous vendor at 'melt plus .50c' Free parking and free coffee...good fellowship with other old guys playing with pennies etc, so unlike other sporting or ecclesiastical weekend events that can befall a Man, the entertainment was well worth the rip off...

I noticed the curious features on this Morgan?...These marks are not scratches, they protrude from the surface and are somewhat symmetrical as if the striking die was intentionally modified to strike a 'limited edition' custom run for the Vanderbilts, or the JP Morgan Summer Party, Or that one other guy Carnegie who was a Scot and maybe into Viking cyrillics...? So I bought it and popped it straight into my shirt pocket!

Luckily I got these pictures to share with you all! For it seems an all too common event and curse for S'bugs afflicted me a few hours later in the day!...while flyrodding for bluegills, standing up casting out of a Coleman plastic canoe, I flipped over and tragically lost it at the bottom of the Lake!:laughing:

Any Numismatists out there? Is it a one off rarity that will make me richer than the Sultan of Brunei? If so, I will call up Scubadee for the retrieve! If not, then no big deal...just a few hours worth of clad is all, or 170 empty beer cans...all sorts of clad out there, and empty ditch cans...Anybody seen anything like this before?

Anybody ever try flyrodding bluegills out of a Coleman Plastic canoe? Imagine a 5'10" fatty trying to change a lightbulb in a 9' ceiling while standing barefoot on a waterbed, or an elephant seal at the circus begging for kippers while balancing on a beachball? Or a Hippopotamus trying to eat a head of lettuce through a picket fence?...Or a Walrus trying to change a lightbulb in a 9' eskimo igloo ceiling while standing on a sealskin baidarka with a lettuce breatht hippopotamus holding the ladder and offering technical advice?....Life is a 'Hold my beer' kind of thing....

What do I got here? Is this strange Morgan Dollar The one off rarity Find of a Lifetime that will make me richer than Mansa Musa?...I will entertain all offers on this amazing one off Morgan! Bids start at $180 plus you pay shipping naturally..I bet Scubadee will give me a real good retrieval fee rogering so I will barely break even:laughing:.

Attachments

• morgan.jpg
    morgan.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 563
  • morgan-1.jpg
    morgan-1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
Cool score Mud! I will guess that the marks are silver solder, made into someone’s initials, after the coin left the mint. Possibly worth a premium over numismatic value due to curiosity.

How deep was the water?
When "tippy canoe" decided to give the "abandon ship order" :laughing:
I sure hope you can retrieve that Morgan... other than now becoming the
Lady of the Lake, or the Lady in the Lake.
those bumps made it look like she had some sort of X-ray vision.

More importantly did you go home hungry & wet ?
or did you manage to salvage a few bluegills for a table fare
of fish sandwiches, for your day of adventure.....:D

I think what you have there is validation for an old uncorroborated tale that the model for the lady liberty coin had XRAY vision!! If this is indeed real Mud you might want to rent some scuba gear!!!!:wow:

Well, now we know how a big ol' silver dollar can get lost! My recent attempt at "flyrodding" for bluegills did not go as envisioned either. :laughing:
Perhaps the substantial heft, located in your shirt pocket, produced a higher center of balance than you would have been figuring in normally. Just enough unaccounted-for top heaviness to "tip the scales" so to speak, against you.

Never saw features like that on a coin before. WM are common initials for the name William...or Wet Mud-Puppy, or Wayward Morgan...

Y
I went to a coin show yesterday in order to transubstantiate modern bastard metal clad and a few spare paper fiats into Noble Metal metallic disks...While rifling through a tub of non-numismatic value Silver coins, appropriately priced by an unscrupulous vendor at 'melt plus .50c' Free parking and free coffee...good fellowship with other old guys playing with pennies etc, so unlike other sporting or ecclesiastical weekend events that can befall a Man, the entertainment was well worth the rip off...

I noticed the curious features on this Morgan?...These marks are not scratches, they protrude from the surface and are somewhat symmetrical as if the striking die was intentionally modified to strike a 'limited edition' custom run for the Vanderbilts, or the JP Morgan Summer Party, Or that one other guy Carnegie who was a Scot and maybe into Viking cyrillics...? So I bought it and popped it straight into my shirt pocket!

Luckily I got these pictures to share with you all! For it seems an all too common event and curse for S'bugs afflicted me a few hours later in the day!...while flyrodding for bluegills, standing up casting out of a Coleman plastic canoe, I flipped over and tragically lost it at the bottom of the Lake!:laughing:

Any Numismatists out there? Is it a one off rarity that will make me richer than the Sultan of Brunei? If so, I will call up Scubadee for the retrieve! If not, then no big deal...just a few hours worth of clad is all, or 170 empty beer cans...all sorts of clad out there, and empty ditch cans...Anybody seen anything like this before?

Anybody ever try flyrodding bluegills out of a Coleman Plastic canoe? Imagine a 5'10" fatty trying to change a lightbulb in a 9' ceiling while standing barefoot on a waterbed, or an elephant seal at the circus begging for kippers while balancing on a beachball? Or a Hippopotamus trying to eat a head of lettuce through a picket fence?...Or a Walrus trying to change a lightbulb in a 9' eskimo igloo ceiling while standing on a sealskin baidarka with a lettuce breatht hippopotamus holding the ladder and offering technical advice?....Life is a 'Hold my beer' kind of thing....

What do I got here? Is this strange Morgan Dollar The one off rarity Find of a Lifetime that will make me richer than Mansa Musa?...I will entertain all offers on this amazing one off Morgan! Bids start at $180 plus you pay shipping naturally..I bet Scubadee will give me a real good retrieval fee rogering so I will barely break even:laughing:.[/QUOTE

Y
Y

What do I got here? Is this strange Morgan Dollar The one off rarity Find of a Lifetime that will make me richer than Mansa Musa?...I will entertain all offers on this amazing one off Morgan! Bids start at $180 plus you pay shipping naturally..I bet Scubadee will give me a real good retrieval fee rogering so I will barely break even:laughing:.[/QUOTE

Couldn't happen to a better guy

I thought most people fly fish for gills in shallow water? Weren't you gonna get a hookah system?

Back
Top Bottom