Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Lost and Found

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:00 PM
popatop's Avatar
popatop popatop is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SW Kansas
Posts: 361
Default $$$$ Would you return it?

Lets say that you find an item, Maybe a ring for example and to keep it interesting lets throw in some greed or temptation factor and say that it is worth 10 - 20 or maybe even $30,00.00 or maybe it's just a class ring that originally sold for a few hundred dollars, Bottom line this ring means alot to some one and you can tell it is a fresh drop. What would you do? Would you claim finders keepers or would you make an effort to find the owner by searching adds etc or maybe even posting an add of your own which didn't include a detailed description of said ring ? Keep in mind that there may or may not be a name engraved in the ring as i want to cover all possible angles to the find here. I would like to keep this as not a legality question but strictly a moral question ( What would you do ) without hearing well they probably had insurance.
I look forward to your replies

__________________
Learning the AT Pro.

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:02 PM
sgtwilks sgtwilks is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: berlin nj
Posts: 2,034
Default

Oh Boy......
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #3  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:07 PM
Cfmct's Avatar
Cfmct Cfmct is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SW Connecticut
Posts: 29,931
Default

Originally Posted by popatop View post
Lets say that you find an item, Maybe a ring for example and to keep it interesting lets throw in some greed or temptation factor and say that it is worth 10 - 20 or maybe even $30,00.00 or maybe it's just a class ring that originally sold for a few hundred dollars, Bottom line this ring means alot to some one and you can tell it is a fresh drop. What would you do? Would you claim finders keepers or would you make an effort to find the owner by searching adds etc or maybe even posting an add of your own which didn't include a detailed description of said ring ? Keep in mind that there may or may not be a name engraved in the ring as i want to cover all possible angles to the find here. I would like to keep this as not a legality question but strictly a moral question ( What would you do ) without hearing well they probably had insurance.
I look forward to your replies
So show us the ring

__________________
Excalibur1000
Sunspot Scoop 720i Hybrid
Whites MXT All Pro
Banned Spammers 851

Reply With Quote


4 members found this post helpful.
  #4  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:07 PM
tonym's Avatar
tonym tonym is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 2,338
Default

here we go

Geez, I wonder how this thread will end

__________________
Minelab CTX 3030; Teknetics T2SE; Garrett AT Pro

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #5  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Swinglow's Avatar
Swinglow Swinglow is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 5,387
Default

I'd keep the ring, sell it and waste the money on frivolous junk I don't need. To hell with the owner. Should've done a better job keeping your precious ring "safe"






lets see if anyone is stupid enough to jump all over my comment without seeing this white text. I'm KIDDING...ya bunch of savages!

__________________
EQUINOX 600 2019 TOTALS:
(-) Pt (4)
Au (13)Ag Coins (12) Rings (14) .925 Jewelry (-)Coppers

Reply With Quote


10 members found this post helpful.
  #6  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:09 PM
tonym's Avatar
tonym tonym is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 2,338
Default Waste of thread space

Originally Posted by Cfmct View post
So show us the ring
There is no ring. Just stirring up the 'morality police' pot again.

__________________
Minelab CTX 3030; Teknetics T2SE; Garrett AT Pro

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #7  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:10 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,723
Default

popatop, well, forget value for a moment. I mean, so what $100, $1000, or $10,000. In each and every case, your question essentially remains the same. You're getting dangerously close to us all having to ask ourselves: why do we even detect?

You've said to keep it off legalities, and you've made a key-point of saying it's a "fresh drop". But ... if that were on the wet beach, (for example) how would you know "fresh drop" ? We all know that the wet-sand is constantly re-arranging. Especially after storms can bring up silver coins, for instance, to be shallow. So how do you know? Heck, even in turf, there's been silver coins found on top, d/t a gopher brought them up.

Or did you mean found on a sidewalk? You see the infinate shades of grey?

If you're saying to keep legal talk (L&F laws) out of it, then my answer would be, that if I could truly know (strong reason to suspect) it was a fresh drop, then yes, I'd check CL lost ads, or run an ad myself. But this assumes "fresh drop". That's highly speculative ! Also if you're talking valuable stones, then be aware that some have micro-laser inscriptions which can be traced back to buyers, insurer's marks, etc... visible only under extreme magnification.
Reply With Quote


6 members found this post helpful.
  #8  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:12 PM
swanzeysearcher's Avatar
swanzeysearcher swanzeysearcher is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 9
Default

Im in the process of returning a 42 year old class ring as we speak. Found it friday and contacted the school that night. I assume it means more to the owner than that few hundred bucks would to me
Reply With Quote


5 members found this post helpful.
  #9  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:15 PM
fishnnut's Avatar
fishnnut fishnnut is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 446
Default

Only your own conscious can tell you what to do.....
Reply With Quote


6 members found this post helpful.
  #10  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Cfmct's Avatar
Cfmct Cfmct is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SW Connecticut
Posts: 29,931
Default

Originally Posted by tonym View post
There is no ring. Just stirring up the 'morality police' pot again.
Well then... I have no feelings of guilt and I don't believe in karma or the tooth fairy... so I would keep it.

__________________
Excalibur1000
Sunspot Scoop 720i Hybrid
Whites MXT All Pro
Banned Spammers 851

Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #11  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:16 PM
popatop's Avatar
popatop popatop is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SW Kansas
Posts: 361
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
popatop, well, forget value for a moment. I mean, so what $100, $1000, or $10,000. In each and every case, your question essentially remains the same. You're getting dangerously close to us all having to ask ourselves: why do we even detect?

You've said to keep it off legalities, and you've made a key-point of saying it's a "fresh drop". But ... if that were on the wet beach, (for example) how would you know "fresh drop" ? We all know that the wet-sand is constantly re-arranging. Especially after storms can bring up silver coins, for instance, to be shallow. So how do you know? Heck, even in turf, there's been silver coins found on top, d/t a gopher brought them up.

Or did you mean found on a sidewalk? You see the infinate shades of grey?

If you're saying to keep legal talk (L&F laws) out of it, then my answer would be, that if I could truly know (strong reason to suspect) it was a fresh drop, then yes, I'd check CL lost ads, or run an ad myself. But this assumes "fresh drop". That's highly speculative ! Also if you're talking valuable stones, then be aware that some have micro-laser inscriptions which can be traced back to buyers, insurer's marks, etc... visible only under extreme magnification.
I understand that you may not know a fresh find on the beach. Im talking an obvious fresh find that you in your mind has no doubt about it hasn't been there long.

Thanks for your reply.

__________________
Learning the AT Pro.

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:19 PM
JBEXPRESS's Avatar
JBEXPRESS JBEXPRESS is offline
Lunch Time Bandit
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 11,967
Default

Finders Keepers!

__________________
Subscribe To ( Hanging With JB ) on YouTube...

Reply With Quote


5 members found this post helpful.
  #13  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:20 PM
popatop's Avatar
popatop popatop is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SW Kansas
Posts: 361
Default

Originally Posted by tonym View post
There is no ring. Just stirring up the 'morality police' pot again.
Not stirring the pot as i am the original poster and i truely want and ask that the thread to stay civil. This is a valid question and nobody is obligated to reply if they choose not to.

__________________
Learning the AT Pro.

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:22 PM
Riffmeister's Avatar
Riffmeister Riffmeister is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sheridan,ca 95681
Posts: 641
Default

well..... to me class rings , military rings and personal type customs like that should at least try to find the owner....but if i found a $30,000. platinum ring with a large stone....AAARRrRRrhhhhh.... i become a pirate!

__________________
~MINELABx-terra 305w/5"x10"18.75DDMinelabpro-find 25~ Brad Riffey

Reply With Quote


6 members found this post helpful.
  #15  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:23 PM
Esky's Avatar
Esky Esky is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Currently in Central CA.
Posts: 274
Default

I've thought about this before your question came up. I'd return it, but I would like a clear picture of the ring and a picture of me handing it back to the owner. That's not to much to ask in return is it?

__________________
2017: Coins: 71-Clad ($6.49), 2-Silver ($0.20), 1-Silver Plated, 2-Wheat. Jewelry: 1-Junk. Rings: 0.
2016 and Before: Coins: 584-Clad ($33.97), 1-Wheat. Jewelry: 2-Junk. Rings: 1-10K, 1-.925, 3-Junk.

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:23 PM
*Cali Girl*'s Avatar
*Cali Girl* *Cali Girl* is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central Valley
Posts: 993
Default

I personally would not post an ad myself but rather search for ads. If the ring is significant to the person who lost it then they would make an attempt to find it. If the ring is high in value then chances are they have insurance on it and it will be replaced. I would have no issues keeping a ring of value if after making a decent attempt to find the owner had failed.

~Are you still focused on DoctorTecter's ring? Let it go buddy

__________________
Garrett ATP

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #17  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:25 PM
popatop's Avatar
popatop popatop is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SW Kansas
Posts: 361
Default

Originally Posted by Esky View post
I've thought about this before your question came up. I'd return it, but I would like a clear picture of the ring and a picture of me handing it back to the owner. That's not to much to ask in return is it?
I don't think that is asking much at all.
Thanks for your reply.

__________________
Learning the AT Pro.

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:26 PM
swanzeysearcher's Avatar
swanzeysearcher swanzeysearcher is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by *Cali Girl* View post
I personally would not post an ad myself but rather search for ads. If the ring is significant to the person who lost it then they would make an attempt to find it. If the ring is high in value then chances are they have insurance on it and it will be replaced. I would have no issues keeping a ring of value if after making a decent attempt to find the owner had failed.

~Are you still focused on DoctorTecter's ring? Let it go buddy

Thats what im doing. I contacted the school for help whereas i have the initials. If no luck returning it...then its mine. Just my own perogative
Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:28 PM
skeeterbait's Avatar
skeeterbait skeeterbait is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: new york
Posts: 2,556
Default

I would call the local po po and have em pick it up
Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:28 PM
tonym's Avatar
tonym tonym is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 2,338
Default

Originally Posted by *Cali Girl* View post
~Are you still focused on DoctorTecter's ring? Let it go buddy
very observant Cali +1

__________________
Minelab CTX 3030; Teknetics T2SE; Garrett AT Pro

Reply With Quote


4 members found this post helpful.
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.