Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Lost and Found

Old 11-24-2010, 08:29 AM

Default The "Lost my stuff" group

Hello everyone,
I believe I first learned about the "Lost my stuff" group here at Friendly, but I wanted to post this to try to find some more volunteers.

The "Lost my stuff" group, is a group of volunteer metal detectorists, started by John Hawken, who want to help people find things that they have lost. There is no charge for our assistance... we just do it to help people and to promote the hobby.

This is a pretty new group and, right now, there are about 76 members so we are far from having enough people. In fact, we could not help the last few people because we did not have anyone who lived close enough to assist.

When someone loses something and finds the "Lost my stuff" web site, they fill out a form and it sends an email to all the members. If you can help, you respond directly to the person who lost the item and make arrangements. If you cannot help, you just do not respond. It is a very simple system.

So..... if this sounds like something you might be interested in doing, please go to this link and sign up.

http://www.lostmystuff.net/volunteer.php

You can explore the site and learn more about the group as well.

Thank you,
-Mike-

Old 11-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Elite Member

I'm not sure if I joined a while back or not but I went ahead and applied again anyways.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:17 PM

Great!!! Thanks bonesquat!

Old 11-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Elite Member

I'm in

Old 11-24-2010, 07:55 PM

Woo Hoo! "Disconnected" is now "connected"
Thanks!
-Mike-

Old 11-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Elite Member

Location: Tacoma&Tonasket, Wa., Kanagawa, San Diego, Sherman, Tx

This is a great group with a great agenda. WOLF

Old 11-24-2010, 10:27 PM

I'm pretty new to this hobby but what a great idea!

I applied.....hope someday I can help somebody find their lost stuff!

Old 11-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Elite Member

I'm in.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Elite Member

Joined as well. But only one in WV so far. Some nights, I cannot find my car. But perhaps I can help someone some day...............

Old 11-25-2010, 04:52 PM

Thanks all!!! I really appreciate the participation! Hopefully we can help a lot of people in time.
-Mike-

Old 11-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Elite Member

By the way ---

If any of you that recently applied to join the Lost My Stuff Group didn't receive a confirmation that you've been added to the group, please check that you received & replied to the email we sent to confirm your email address. Sometimes these get routed to people's spam folders!!! If you aren't sure, just send me an email about it.

Regards,

Fogcity

Old 11-04-2015, 12:44 AM

Question question

Thinking of joining and have a question.

I noticed that there are several members in my area on the member map. If I received a lost item report (as a member), would I have member information where I could call other members in my area and say, "Hey, would you like to go with me to meet these folks and talk about their missing item(s)?"

I am thinking of safety, most likely I would not have someone to accompany me to a meeting. Do members know when another member in their area responds to a find need?

Old 11-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Supporter

Excuse me, but I have a real problem with this "Ringfinder' and "Lost Item Hunter' business..The whole 'Karma' thing really frosts my biscuit as well...

Back in the day, pre cell phone age, somebody loses a nice gold ring, tough tomales! Too damn bad! Rake your fingers through the sod and sand and hope for the best!

Now a days, all you gotta do is google up a Ringfinder with your cell phone, and they are there, Johnny on the Spot to assuage you of your carelessness! You learned nothing! Sure, the losing party may sometimes offer a small recompense, but really? As far as metal detecting goes, this is no challenge or any great feat to brag about! Any old dope with an entry level rig can find most of these fresh drops!

This feat of finding a called in fresh drop is not something to brag about or hold yourself up as an example of metal detecting prowess! You got the call, you showed up, and you found the damned thing! No great morals, skill or ethics involved either, its no different than calling a plumber to pull an apple out of your toilet! Do they get front page press and kudos from all and sundry?
...In fact, if you are a 'Ringfinder' you should be ashamed of yourself, shooting fish in a barrel so to speak...bad Karma...gold wants to go back into the ground, and you deprived it of doing so...and robbing us Wild Ring hunters at the same time! So BAD KARMA!

If you want to be a do-gooder, ring the bell at a Salvation Army kettle outside a Walmart! Or better yet, go pull a flushed down the crapper apple out of a diarrhectic kindergarten for your good deed for the day, write a post about it, brag even...Leave the Wild Gold hunters their just rewards, Lord knows we earned it...discuss...
Mud

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Last edited by Mud-puppy; 11-04-2015 at 09:09 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Excuse me, but I have a real problem with this "Ringfinder' and "Lost Item Hunter' business..The whole 'Karma' thing really frosts my biscuit as well...

Back in the day, pre cell phone age, somebody loses a nice gold ring, tough tomales! Too damn bad! Rake your fingers through the sod and sand and hope for the best!

Now a days, all you gotta do is google up a Ringfinder with your cell phone, and they are there, Johnny on the Spot to assuage you of your carelessness! You learned nothing! Sure, the losing party may sometimes offer a small recompense, but really? As far as metal detecting goes, this is no challenge or any great feat to brag about! Any old dope with an entry level rig can find most of these fresh drops!

This feat of finding a called in fresh drop is not something to brag about or hold yourself up as an example of metal detecting prowess! You got the call, you showed up, and you found the damned thing! No great morals, skill or ethics involved either, its no different than calling a plumber to pull an apple out of your toilet! Do they get front page press and kudos from all and sundry?
...In fact, if you are a 'Ringfinder' you should be ashamed of yourself, shooting fish in a barrel so to speak...bad Karma...gold wants to go back into the ground, and you deprived it of doing so...and robbing us Wild Ring hunters at the same time! So BAD KARMA!

If you want to be a do-gooder, ring the bell at a Salvation Army kettle outside a Walmart! Or better yet, go pull a flushed down the crapper apple out of a diarrhectic kindergarten for your good deed for the day, write a post about it, brag even...Leave the Wild Gold hunters their just rewards, Lord knows we earned it...discuss...
Mud
Metal detecting prowess?? what does that even mean? I believe it does take morals and ethics to do a good deed for someone just because you thought it was the right thing to do. As far as skill, it don't take a genius to pluck pennies from the ground either. I understand there are those who wouldn't help others but why !!!! on a guy for trying to do a good deed? Who are we to tell someone how they can do something nice? Ringing a salvation army bell or finding grandmas ring, to each their own.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:19 AM
Supporter

Sorry about that Ron!

I just completed a 2 day hard hunt and didnt find any gold! In fact, I havnt found any all Year! I had to blame somebody, and it wasnt going to be ME!

I'll go out today and do a good deed that hopefully will bring me some Good Karma!
Carry on Gentlemen, I was just jerking your chain...most of you that know me know I return rings for free all the bloody time! The inner Pirate side of me was in high form last night!
Mud

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Supporter

Right back at ya mud, I shouldn't have jumped on you like that, Usually if I have nothing nice to say I keep quiet, I will keep my posts of a more friendly nature in the future

Old 11-15-2015, 05:29 AM

I'm going to sign up as a volunteer!