Found Ring with Serial number

Carol K

Co-owner
Admin
I think I should mention this here because this could eventually become a common practice.

We got an email from a guy that found a ring with a serial number lasered on it. He wanted to know what to do with it and if he would be arrested for having it. What do you think?

I wouldn't sweat it, unless it was obtained illegally. If you find something, I believe in finders keepers.
But If you don't know how to track it you could ask a jeweler, he may be hooked into a data base with registered jewelry. Its a thought. They track animals by id no.'s so why not rings or watches, as a matter of fact I had a bulova, gold wrist watch, and it had so many serial numbers on it , it was unbelievable.
But I never registered it I sold it when gold got out of site, smg

i say post a pic so we can see it then i might go and ask a jewlery store if they know of any stores that might be doing this and if they would know how to track the owner down so you could "Personally return the ring" dont let any one get there paws on it or it may never find its way back to it rightful owner. the number was there to track im sure if stolen and tryed to be pawned so im sure it would be registered with the PD for the town or the state PD. i would start there and just tell them you found it metal detecting and would like to see it returned again i wouldnt give it to either PD just explain you would like to hold it till the owner can be located. i dont see why they would not let you since you found it and it wasnt stolen but hopefully it might have been reported stolen might make it easier to return. thats all i can think of for now hope thats a start

My wife's ring, more specifically, the diamond is engraved with a microscopic serial number. Most, if not all, gem grading companies do this now. Pawn shops are required to report them if they are reported lost. This identifies the diamond to the insurance company as well as the grading company.

I think if you keep it for yourself it wouldn't be a big issue. Other than that I think if you decided to sell it to a jeweler it would depend on whether or not it was reported stolen or lost. If it had been reported stolen then you are in possession of stolen property no matter if you found it or not.

If the number visible I would look at it like a class ring and try to find the owner.

I can see the headline now. MDer trys to sell stolen ring to jeweler..........I would say that if it had a visable serial number and you get caught trying to sell it I doubt that they will buy the story of finding it.

I might be wrong but regardless of how the ring got into your possession, I believe the laws state that it's illegal to possess or to sell stolen property. Just something to keep in mind, I'd hate to be looking at probation and a stiff fine for finding a ring in the dirt.

I tend to agree with yardbyrd. If it has a serial number I would treat it like a class ring with the name and school on it. We should always try to return it to the owner if possible first, then go from there. If you can't track them down or it is unreadable, then you treat it like an unidentifiable ring.

Either way, it is kinda cool to know they have the technology to do that now.

Carol this is a very interesting post. It could affect one or all of us at some point in time, and I for one would really like to see the final outcome of this story.

You gotta do the right thing and at least make an effort to find the owner. Just like a class ring. If after your attempt you are not successful, it's yours, just like a class ring. Just my 2 cents.

Yup... (what Aquila said)...!
Just like what happened to Opie Taylor on the Andy Griffith Show, when he found all that money. Turned out, the "loser" showed up on the 30th day (statute of limitations in them days?) to claim it. Poor Opie had to settle for a reward and a decency lesson... not to mention a good feeling in his heart. ;)

Just my thoughts here but........not seeing or knowing what type of ring this would be, it's seems reasonable to assume that #1 it meant a lot to someone and #2 it carries value. In my humble opinion, to be able to return an item of deep sentimental value to it's rightful owner would be very gratifying in itself alone. Personally, I would try to track down the owner and return the ring......think about how your spouse would feel if this was something they lost. I pretty much agree with the finders/keepers concept but this would a different case altogether.

I agree, as long as reasonable effort is made to find the owner, I would try to keep some sort of records, just in case, but if you can't find them; I would keep it. All my finds are kept anyway ( except for the clad LOL) in an old cigar box, so selling it to a pawn shop or jewelry store would be out for me...just ask my wife.

Todd

If you make an attempt to return an item, document the attempt. In that way you are covered for finding and not stealing property. Judgements are made on what is "reasonable", and what a "reasonable person" would do. Theft would also have to be proven, and the burden of proof would be on the accusor.

Sorry. Very busy lately. I dip in here when I can.
Lotta loose ends to tie before the cold weather sets in up here (not to mention MDM keepin' us on our toes :grin:).

Try to return it.
But, I think it was mentioned here before.... you return it to someone who has already collected 120% value from the insurance company...

That's a very interesting notion. How would you even know if someone has already collected insurance on an expensive item you are trying to return? If you did find out they did would you be obligated to return it to them or the insurance company as they have already "paid" for the item.

I have known of jewelry having serial numbers before,,, which was nothing more than the owner's Social Security number. I.D. theft was not common years ago & that was a typical way to identify something. Maybe it is the owners SS # that is on it ? Compare the number of digits. If so, it should not be hard to find the owner.

Back
Top Bottom