• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

The greatest inning ever pitched....

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
All of this happened because Justin Verlander got mad.

This guy says this one inning back in 2012 by Justin Verlander in a nothing game might just be the greatest inning ever pitched.

3 up, 3 down...many have done that.
Some with just 3 pitches, some with 9 total pitches, Verlander took 11 but it is what happened during those pitches that really mattered.
This inning was examined closely using analytics and metrics and if you understand what this guy is trying to say I think he may be correct.
He states what Verlander actually did was impossible, or was up until the time he did it.
He hit 102 MPH on pitch 116!

Tons of great pitchers over the years from way early like Satchel Paige up through modern times but getting measurements this accurate about ball movements has never really been possible until recent times.

It is not only how accurately he threw the ball but the spin rate and velocity is pretty otherworldly especially when you consider how late in the game this happened and how many pitches he threw in this game already for 7 innings.

The vid guy says he believes the only other person that could have done the impossible, or near impossible, things Verlander did the way he did it might be Nolan Ryan, maybe...but no way to ever tell because none of this stuff was measured like this back in his time.

Just interesting stuff, I think.

Last edited:
That was an Awesome Video Digger !!

Thanks for sharing :cool:

No prob.
I thought the narrator was pretty entertaining.

I just like baseball, or I used to when I lived back in the Detroit area where I grew up.
The 60's was a great time to grow up around there if you were a baseball fan...a Tigers fan.
Kaline, Cash, Northrop, Stanley and the crew, plus McClain won 31 games in the magical year 1968.
That year was the first year anyone won 30 games since Dizzy Dean and probably it will be the last.
They just don't risk multi-million dollar pitching arms on 4 man rotations anymore.
Plus I watched Bob Gibson take us apart in game one of the series.
He was just phenomenal and totally mesmerising.
17 strikeouts, still a world series record.

Baseball is a slow game, a pastoral game as George Carlin said, but there can be some excitement and shock and awe in some of the things that happen if you know where to look.

Last edited:
Me and my wife both love baseball. Most of my family is from southeast Missouri so I grew up a Cards fan, then in high school the Big Red Machine was ruling the baseball world so I started following them. These days I don't have a particular favorite, we just love the game, and usually watch a game every night. (MLB at Bat)
I do hate that mlb is trying to cater the game to impatient people that don't understand it. If your one of those people that is so busy that your hectic schedule can't spare 3 hours for a baseball game then don't go, although you probably need it worse than anyone. Baseball is a soothing balm for the soul, or at least it used to be before they started paying 300 million contracts. And now mlb is entertaining the idea of DH in the NL. Heaven help us all when that day comes. 😟
That was a great video, thanks for sharing.

Me and my wife both love baseball. Most of my family is from southeast Missouri so I grew up a Cards fan, then in high school the Big Red Machine was ruling the baseball world so I started following them. These days I don't have a particular favorite, we just love the game, and usually watch a game every night. (MLB at Bat)
I do hate that mlb is trying to cater the game to impatient people that don't understand it. If your one of those people that is so busy that your hectic schedule can't spare 3 hours for a baseball game then don't go, although you probably need it worse than anyone. Baseball is a soothing balm for the soul, or at least it used to be before they started paying 300 million contracts. And now mlb is entertaining the idea of DH in the NL. Heaven help us all when that day comes. 😟
That was a great video, thanks for sharing.

1960's...my whole family was into baseball and we had the wonderful and venerable Tiger Stadium to watch games.
One of the last of the old time stadiums, a sea of real grass hits you as you walked out of the tunnel...nothing like that feeling.

One of my favorite seats was in right field in the bleachers, those seats cost 50 cents back then and we got to sit behind the great Al Kaline...who is not some kind of battery.
Never made near the money they make today, in 1971 he was 8th in the league in batting so the Tigers rewarded him with the first $100,000 contract they ever gave out.
Worth a little over $500,000 in today's money but still nowhere near the $20 million superstars make now.
They played the game for the fun of it back then a lot more than they do today.

Great video thanks for sharing...

Love baseball, my young son likes to play in the little leagues now and of course proud dad here. We have a great family member to look up to. Harvey Haddix was my grandfather's cousin. Grew up knowing him and the stories. Hope my boy plays a while, love watching the games but sadly haven't taken him to a major league game yet. Summer list.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I used to love baseball, until 1985 when they went on strike. I found out that they were striking over their outrageous salaries I swore off professional baseball. Being paid millions to play a kids game is ridiculous.

I don't have a problem with people making that kind of money, regardless of what they do to earn it, but I won't put my own money into it.

I DO enjoy going to minor league games though...the game is wonderful and entertaining, I just can't support the majors with my own money.

Back
Top Bottom