Newbie with an older Garrett...Ground Balance Questions

Sixtigers

Forum Supporter
So...there I am, out in the park, going to try and find some coins. I'm using a Garrett GTI2500 that I bought six years ago and took out once, where I learned that one doesn't go MDing with steel-toed boots. Lesson learned.

Now I'm trying it out again. Only--holy heck! In All Metal mode, I get constant signals. Signals everywhere. Nothing really consistent.

This can't be right, right? Shouldn't be this noisy.

I learn what "Threshold" is. I turn that wayyyyyyy down, so I don't have a constant tone. Still get lots of noise. Surely there can't be that many targets, can there?

Grass. Dirt. Basic park. Same reactions in the sand around the swingsets..

I turn down "Sensitivity". The manual says "Don't touch the settings! Search in 'All Metal' for a 100 hours or so before you start messin' with the settings!" but I'm not detecting anything--I'm just getting sounds everywhere. Turning sensitivity down halfway from my starting point doesn't have an effect.

I've tried to read through the threads posted, learned that my wire needs to be wrapped tight and not moving in relation to the coil to minimize falsies. I've learned that maybe EMI could be an issue, because I get moving targets even when the coil is stationary--or even held up high inthe air.

Maybe it's highly mineralized soil? Don't know. Took it to Kernville, CA over the weekend, tried to hunt around Old Kernville now that the lake is dried up, but it was impossible. Too many signals.

I've "reset" the machine to factory settings numerous times. Doesn't change anything. Still a bunch of signals.

Question is this: I know the newer detectors are supposed to have automatic ground balancing, and I'm assuming I'm in a mineralized soil area. Garrett GTI2500 videos on YouTube show how to do a ground balance by pumping the MD up and down a few times, from 2" to 8" and back.

What is the goal, here? Am I supposed to be listening for anything during this pumping? How do I know when I've achieved GB? Is it just good to go after a few pumps, or am I looking for feedback from the machine?

I appreciate the help. This is sort of driving me crazy. If it makes a difference, the soil in the lakebed was still damp from rain. Still--same antics as the MD had when in the park. Is wet soil the issue?

Sounds like it maybe sick and need to go in for a health check. Inspect your coil real well. I had a similar issue with my ATPro awhile back and the coil was cracked. Fortunately still under warranty at the time.

Check all connections to make sure they are tight. When I started last April with the AT Max, I torqued the coil cable connection to the head unit pretty tight. At some point (a month or two) after that, I was experiencing what you describe...just constant, random signals. After a factory reset and ground balancing didn't fix the issue, I checked the connection to the head unit...and it fell into my hand, it was so loose. Never thought it would do that!

Also, if you have a different coil, try changing the coil. You may have a crack in the one that you have mounted, which can cause instability.

Only other thing that I can think of (other than a machine that needs factory repair) is making sure that you have the coil cable wrapped properly around the shaft and that it isn't flappy around loosely.

I hope that you figure it out and get beeping!

No, your coil shouldn't make lots of noise when it is motionless.
Yes, there really can be so much metal trash in the ground that you can't move the coil in all-metal mode without it signaling something.

Is the coil cord wrapped properly around the shaft? Try a Velcro strap around the coil cord approximately 6” above the coil to keep the cord from moving. Check connections.

The ground balance should be done away from trash. Low batteries can abuse issues with the computer. Underground utilities/power causes issues.

Thanks for all the replies, crew.

How do I GB? What's with all the "pumping"? How do I know when I've "pumped" enough? Is there an audio clue that my machine is balanced?

The ground balance number should stabilize. The sound will be minimal. If you are in a lake bottom you may be in heavy mineralized soil. That machine might not be able to discriminate in a heavily mineralized area.

look above ,if there are high line wires,or buried wires ,or even if youre by wi-fi ,this will happen no matter what you do, also try only pumping it from 1 inch to 6 inches,my old garret was very touchy on ground balance. listen for the sound to go quiet when pumping,you should have a ground balance knob to turn on some of the old garrets, not sure about your model. try these few things and let me know please.also if you turn your thresh hold down to much you will loose depth , good luck and hh!

Back
Top Bottom