A first for me, never thought I'd see one come out of the ground!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Today, while cleaning up my change ($4.89) from the last two hunts, I found a nickel that I thought "that looks weird." It came from tonight's hunt of a softball field set.

It literally took about 5 seconds for my brain to digest what I was looking at...

then a big big smile hit my face. My first buffalo! With a readable date, even. :)

I know this is a commonplace type of coin in some hunts, but for someone who just does modern parks and fields, this is a rare thing for me, indeed.

*pats self on back.*

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,071
  • IMG_0978.jpg
    IMG_0978.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 990
  • IMG_0979.jpg
    IMG_0979.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,008
  • IMG_0980.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,015
Yes it was. hit a ring, too, but it was a junker... I keep thinking, "where's the gold" But I've really only got about 15-16 hours into hunting this year, so it's not surprising. :)

It took me 5 years to finally dig one of those. For some reason that coin kept eluding me no matter how hard I looked for it. My kid would drive me nuts when he'd come home from his shift at Walgreens and drop 4 or 5 of them in my hand he'd get in change. I swear he'd do it just to irritate me since he knew I couldn't find one. Now if I can just get a SLQ my life would be complete. May have better luck if I just let him check the till when he works :(

WTG, congratulations. I, must have come out of some arid ground that looks stellar for a dug one. Mine come out deeply reddish brown at best.

The ground does hold a few surprises Skippy. Happy for you she gave up one. A dated Buffalo is always a welcome coin to any detectionist coffers. Trapper

WTG, congratulations. I, must have come out of some arid ground that looks stellar for a dug one. Mine come out deeply reddish brown at best.

^^^^^ mine too.

Skip, I think your son buried that for you ten minutes before you dug it ;)

How do your Jeff nickels come out of the ground? Like that Buffalo? Or do you have a nickel cleaning secret you ought to be sharing here? C’mon, fess up Skip.
Kidding aside, congratulations on a long-awaited bucket lister. Good job!

Jim

Nice, congrats! I only have 1 to my name, and can't read the date on mine......

yep, in this particular field, the ground is good on the coins. Even Zincolns don't corrode.

I suspect, too, that this is a drop from the last few years, though, not something that was dropped 80 years ago. That would help, too.

I would have thought it was found in pocket change, if I hadn't just crusted the dirt off of it, while counting the coins. When I saw it was a buff, I took it into the house to wash away, to see if I could get a date, without scratching it. that's why it's a bit cleaner than the other coins, too. :)

Back
Top Bottom