Latest finds from across the pond.(Lots photo's) Updated 5/3/19

Doug

Elite Member
A whole different mix of finds and from different periods in time.

Roman brooch with glass insert deposited with the FLO (Finds Liaison Officer) to be researched and that data placed on the PAS ( Portable Antiquities Scheme) data base.

My thanks to a UK forum member for the ID on the silver coin.

Thanks for looking....Doug.

Just out of the ground photographs.
QpECYDV.jpg

8nHgsqm.jpg

4UVKOrz.jpg

Buckles and bits. Iron buckle, top left surface find.
F7YQ5ma.jpg

Odd bits.RHS?
7avQ1r6.jpg

Worn 2nd-4th century Roman coins.
2GwzL3y.jpg

Two Roman coins and broken brooch.

NeQ3jgG.jpg

Late form of plate brooch that is thought to start in the 3rd century and go into the 4th.
A period we don’t see many other brooches from in Somerset.

KT81D97.jpg

MYaqb20.jpg

jSYwsV3.jpg

Lead, possible attempt to forge a trade weight/seal?
zJHNSR4.jpg

CJxRw5s.jpg

County of Cornwall coat of arms badge.
fXf7UBX.jpg

Decorative buttons.
CUXSBs4.jpg

Continental sterling of Arnold V - Count of Looz.
Cpipiot.jpg

Korky the cat from the comic The Dandy.
iLjGNJT.jpg

...and finally, decimal and pre-decimal coins, silver bottom left.(Victoria)
zSs70JH.jpg

Last edited:
+1 that brooch is Phenominal, was also wondering what kind of stone it is. Congrats Doug!

Doug said in his post that the stone it is made of glass . I have heard that back when the brooch was mad,e that glass was very pricey because it was a trade secret on the glass formula so hard to come by. So back, then this could of been a pricey brooch for someone.

Doug, very nice finds. What is the badge made out of?

Ray

Thanks for the views and kind comments.

The brooch insert is in fact glass and is normally removed with the working of the land (ploughing mainly) so quite rare find to see the glass is still in there.

It would have been very difficult process to make any glass 1700 years ago due to the high temperature required to manufacture the glass 3200F/1760C approx.

It would have made it a very expensive brooch with the gilding and glass insert at the time.

The PAS report is not due until around March but I will update the post with a link once I have received notification it is ready.

Doug said in his post that the stone it is made of glass . I have heard that back when the brooch was mad,e that glass was very pricey because it was a trade secret on the glass formula so hard to come by. So back, then this could of been a pricey brooch for someone.

Doug, very nice finds. What is the badge made out of?

Ray

Thank you.

Comments on glass insert I have posted above.

The badge looks to be pressed steel but I'm no sure.

Thanks for taking the time to share this great spread of saves from the old world.
My knowledge is limited but my imagination goes wild looking over this kind of stuff.
Great post đź‘Ť.
, Dew

More great finds and looking forward to the PAS report.

Thank you.

I will link the PAS report to this post once I receive it via email.

Thanks for taking the time to share this great spread of saves from the old world.
My knowledge is limited but my imagination goes wild looking over this kind of stuff.
Great post đź‘Ť.
, Dew

Thank you Dew.

Back
Top Bottom