george I half penny

$pacman$

went out today for about half hour, then started raining, first ten mins there I got this half penny, looks like it says 1720, but cant be sure, and don't wanna do anything to mess up the patina.
DSC04816.jpg
DSC04814.jpg

It's just amazing some of the cool stuff folks on here are pulling out of the dirt!! Does an ultrasonic cleaner help cleanup some of this stuff?:grin:

It's just amazing some of the cool stuff folks on here are pulling out of the dirt!! Does an ultrasonic cleaner help cleanup some of this stuff?:grin:

i've tried using a small dental appliance ultrasonic cleaner on coins without success. it may shake a bit of loose dirt off the coin, but that's about all.
for a coin like that, i'd say either hot peroxide or olive oil. i dug a 1917 large cent the other day and all it needed was a good rinse and rubbing between my fingers with plain water.
back to the ultra sonic cleaners, they're pretty good on jewelry though. they shake loose the grime that gets into those hard to reach places but with coins, a lot of it is corrosion and it doesn't shake loose all that easily.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom