• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Any Idea, Real Bomb or Practice Bomb?

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
I was showing a friend one of my practice bombs last night and I was telling him about the one I was digging last fall and only succeeded in pulling the fins and tail cone off of it. I went on the porch and got it to show him next to one of the other practice bombs I found.

Well these fins are not off a Mark 1 practice bomb. The cone is much larger. So was I digging up a newer practice bomb like a Mark 2 or was I digging up a live Mark 1? Anybody have a clue? I have it marked on my GPS in my boat.

I sent an email and pictures to the Selfridge ANG ordnance folks and to the Michigan State Police. Hopefully one will know.

If it is live it has to be removed. It is in a major party spot in the lake.

Hmmm...definitely not the same dog. I'd say you're on the right track calling that one in, being in a busy spot like that. Don't know much about ordinance, but will be watching to see where this goes!

Congrats on a cool find. BOOM Baby! :D

I sent an email and pictures to the Selfridge ANG ordnance folks and to the Michigan State Police. Hopefully one will know.

If it is live it has to be removed. It is in a major party spot in the lake.

Scuba, that's an interesting find. Let us know what the police / ordinance unit says when they see it!

Just a heads up about finding 'ordinance' underwater or on the beach.. Leave it and mark it and notify authorities..

We came upon a couple of scuba divers in the Bay of Fundy eons ago who were trying to bring up several cylindrical objects that they had found on the bottom.. Luckily among my group was our squadron EOD guy who had one look at one of the objects that they brought up and tossed it back into the water as soon as he recognized it as being white phosphorus target marking rounds from the 50's.. Had air gotten to the internals, it could have ignited the white phosphorus and burn against and through anything and everything, even submerged.. When the local EOD team finished recovery, we had brought up over 150 round. No records as to how they might have gotten then in the first place.. still a mystery.

Basically, regardless of age, if it looks like ordinance, treat it as live.. safety first. Ya just never know what can still go boom in the night..

Cheers

Just a heads up about finding 'ordinance' underwater or on the beach.. Leave it and mark it and notify authorities..

We came upon a couple of scuba divers in the Bay of Fundy eons ago who were trying to bring up several cylindrical objects that they had found on the bottom.. Luckily among my group was our squadron EOD guy who had one look at one of the objects that they brought up and tossed it back into the water as soon as he recognized it as being white phosphorus target marking rounds from the 50's.. Had air gotten to the internals, it could have ignited the white phosphorus and burn against and through anything and everything, even submerged.. When the local EOD team finished recovery, we had brought up over 150 round. No records as to how they might have gotten then in the first place.. still a mystery.

Basically, regardless of age, if it looks like ordinance, treat it as live.. safety first. Ya just never know what can still go boom in the night..

Cheers

Did that with the first one. All 5 I have brought up were the same animals. I assumed this one was also the same and kept digging. Now that I know it isn't, I am waiting to see what it is before I do anything more with it. It has to come out if it is live and I know it will not be me getting it!

I was a cop for 9 years and spent 4.5 in the USAF. I have no intention of having a crater show my final spot on this earth!!

Scuba wait till EOD has verified it to be null. I dig a lot on National guard property, and find a lot of misc. ordinance. 98% to date has been null thank goodness.

Scuba wait till EOD has verified it to be null. I dig a lot on National guard property, and find a lot of misc. ordinance. 98% to date has been null thank goodness.

No worries, I am waiting for either the base or the State Police to let me know. Most the stuff I find here is live. But that is mainly 50 cal bullets from the 1920's and 30 cal from 1909 - 1917.

Here are two Lewis machine gun magazines I found in the same place as the bombs. One with 6 live bullets in it and the other with 26.

Since they did a lot of live machine gun practice out there, this could be a live bomb. I know there are two unaccounted for live sidewinder missiles out there somewhere.

Very cool yet very dangerous as well. I come across more modern armament like 50 cal bullets, mortar flares, grenade igniters. And for the most part tons of spent and live rifle ammo.

I live along the coast of maine and also have found live ordnance at the old bombing range. One was 32 inches tall 5 inches diameter and weighed 120 lbs. The bomb squad took it

Congrats!

I live along the coast of maine and also have found live ordnance at the old bombing range. One was 32 inches tall 5 inches diameter and weighed 120 lbs. The bomb squad took it

You're the only one in this entire thread that spelled "Ordnance" right:cool:

While in the National Guard we laid out a practice minefield using deactivated tank and antipersonal mines. We even flattened out some large cans to make it larger. When they brought out the mine detector it wouldn't work. To the best of my knowledge they are still there. The last time I looked the weeds in that area were about ten feet tall. It would make an interesting hunt.

Back
Top Bottom