Broken Ring

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
I've had this old silver FFA ring for years. It was likely cut by someone back in the time for sizing, or it just broke, doesn't matter for this discussion. Well, I decided to test all the rings I owned to see how the numbers read on my Equinox.

This ring, with the cut, is a bear to get good readings on. Unless I was intentionally "digging everything" someplace for some particular reason, I would miss this thing. There has to be many similar rings out there due to lawn mowing.

It is odd that the gap causes so much signal disruption.

Attachments

• IMG_4026.jpg
    IMG_4026.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 258
I've had this old silver FFA ring for years. It was likely cut by someone back in the time for sizing, or it just broke, doesn't matter for this discussion. Well, I decided to test all the rings I owned to see how the numbers read on my Equinox.

This ring, with the cut, is a bear to get good readings on. Unless I was intentionally "digging everything" someplace for some particular reason, I would miss this thing. There has to be many similar rings out there due to lawn mowing.

It is odd that the gap causes so much signal disruption.

It probably has something to do with Broken Continuity of the signal

Try small broken gold rings if you really want something tough to get a signal on..

Broken rings are always tough to pick up..

<°)))>{

yes the signal is poor because of the solder point being broke on the ring they give crappy signals alot when im beach hunting with my excal great find congrats :D

I've heard there are good machines that cannot see broken gold rings..

My ATP sees them fine, although with a scratchy tone..

<°)))>{

Yep, one day I found a gold earring and my shovel opened it up then the signal was like gone!
Somehow I found the little thing in the woodchips. I knew there was something there!
I had my At pro at that time and I tested the earring closed= signal. Open =gone!

Yep, the Eddy currents flow strongly in a ring shaped object which gives a nice big return signal.

With the rind shape broken and eddy currents are small, only the width of the broken ring, thus a weak return signal.

Try this experiment. Take two pennies.
Drill a fairly large hole in one. Then compare the signal response/distance of each.

Then drill a third penny and cut into the hole to create a broken ring. Compare response to the other two pennies.

Back
Top Bottom