Very happy with ACE 400

dohcsvt

I used to MD 30 years ago with grandfather. Decided to try it again. Did a bunch of research on different detectors (used to use only Whites) and determined that the Ace 400 seemed best bang for the buck. I have used it about 10 hours and it is a pretty awesome machine. It will ring up a penny clear as a bell at 8 inches. Have dug dimes at 6 inches with no issue.

It’s depth indicator is pretty accurate and the iron audio is awesome! I am still waiting to find my first silver, but my hunt sites aren’t really conducive to that. So far I have found

4 wheats
103 clad pennies
4 nickels (they have to ring just right for me to bother digging)
9 dimes
6 quarters

I think I will have many years of good use out of this machine.

Yep, I got my wife a 400 and she mops me up a lot of the time. Even though I use a much "better" machine.

Keep us posted on your first silver the gold is a great relic and coin shooter

Thanks for the kudos.

I just need to learn how to ask permission and I am sure my first silver will come quickly... LOTS of old homes in my area. I just feel weird knocking on a strangers door and asking to dig up thier yard and take stuff...

But I have no doubt this machine will pull out whatever is there!

Thanks for the kudos.

I just need to learn how to ask permission and I am sure my first silver will come quickly... LOTS of old homes in my area. I just feel weird knocking on a strangers door and asking to dig up thier yard and take stuff...

But I have no doubt this machine will pull out whatever is there!

It’s really not that bad! I used to be terrified at the thought of door knocking, I thought the same thing, who is gonna let a stranger roam around their yards digging holes?!? Well for the past 3 years 90% of my hunting is now door knocking, and I have literally been told no 4 times! No lie!!! Most people are very friendly and are curious about what you find! So my advice is just do it! You may be very surprised at what happens!! Go find the good stuff and come back and post pics, we love pics!!

I used to MD 30 years ago with grandfather. Decided to try it again. Did a bunch of research on different detectors (used to use only Whites) and determined that the Ace 400 seemed best bang for the buck. I have used it about 10 hours and it is a pretty awesome machine.

It’s really not that bad! I used to be terrified at the thought of door knocking, I thought the same thing, who is gonna let a stranger roam around their yards digging holes?!? Well for the past 3 years 90% of my hunting is now door knocking, and I have literally been told no 4 times! No lie!!! Most people are very friendly and are curious about what you find! So my advice is just do it! You may be very surprised at what happens!! Go find the good stuff and come back and post pics, we love pics!!

Welcome back to the hobby, dohcsvt! I started out with an Ace400 and really enjoyed the machine - easy to learn, flat out fun to use, and very nice performance for the price. I honestly would have kept it as a backup when I upgraded, but it was easier to keep peace with my wife by selling it :roll:

And Ohiodigger is right on about the door knocks - remember, they can't eat you. The worst they can do is say "no", and truthfully, I get far more "yes" responses...at least an 80% "yes" rate. The more you do it, the easier it gets. My best advice is to come up with a short and simple door knock "spiel" to use...for example "Hi, my name is so-and-so. I'm a history lover who uses a metal detector as a hobby, and I was hoping I could get your permission to do some metal detecting on the property to look for any old, interesting items." Quick and easy!

And if you're interested in finding other forum members in your area, check out our new Forum Member Map, and let me know if you'd like me to add a pin for you:
**Revived** Forum Member Map

I used to MD 30 years ago with grandfather. Decided to try it again. Did a bunch of research on different detectors (used to use only Whites) and determined that the Ace 400 seemed best bang for the buck. I have used it about 10 hours and it is a pretty awesome machine. It will ring up a penny clear as a bell at 8 inches. Have dug dimes at 6 inches with no issue.

It’s depth indicator is pretty accurate and the iron audio is awesome! I am still waiting to find my first silver, but my hunt sites aren’t really conducive to that. So far I have found

4 wheats
103 clad pennies
4 nickels (they have to ring just right for me to bother digging)
9 dimes
6 quarters

I think I will have many years of good use out of this machine.

Welcome to the forums. Looks like you got your coin shooting skills going. Keep it up, and be ready to post some nice pics when you hit a huge batch of clad, or your first silver, gold, or whatever. That Ace will do it!

Thanks for all of the input. I think I will just put the spiel together and give it a try. This place seems like a really great forum. I have not noticed much animosity at all while browsing. I hope to post up some neat finds in the near future.
Ottis

That's great you were able to rekindle your passion for detecting and even better you've bonded with your detector!

I like using my 400, when I know I will be hunting all day, Love the weight, my sport gets pretty heavy after a couple of hours.

Back
Top Bottom