• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Help wanted - silver ring lost in snow - Makro racer

ugn

Greetings, dear MDF community,

I unsuccesfully tried metal detecting only once yet so I am not familiar with all the related issues and I kindly ask You for help with my matter.

The thing is that recently I lost my SILVER wedding RING while playing in the basketball court of my child's kindergarden. The court is and was all covered in SNOW and the evening was quite dark so I coudn't find it right away and I suppose the ring got stuck in the snow (I didn't see the exact spot of the ring falling, but I felt the moment how it did went of my hand so I am sure that the ring is somewhere there in that approximate location).

Anyway, yesterday I rented the metal detector "MAKRO RACER PRO", which I was trying to use for the first time. However, the detector was disturbing me with lots of false detections, probably because of the court's surface ingredient impurities or maybe some metal underground. Not sure. Also, the spot is very close to the metal basketball stand, which also disturbs the detection process.

I tried "All Metal", "Two Tone", "Three Tone", "Beach" MODES, I tried lowering the GAIN, I also tried changing the THRESHOLD, however I still had no luck with lots of false beeping all around (digged several holes through the snow/ice and found nothing except the court's surface).

Later, I returned the detector to the local rental company, but I would like to give it a second chance (otherwise, I will have to wait for the Spring to melt the snow and expect to be the first one to find it). I googled some youtube manual that was explaining the FILTER ID option. Maybe someone of you could give me some tips what SETTINGS I have to use to filter out the unnecessary metals (basketball court surface ingredients as well as the metal of the stand) and try looking only for silver through several inches of snow and maybe even ice already?

Any advice would be much appretiated.

Yours sincerely,
U.

Silver ring will give a high tone.
Not familiar with Makro but you should be able to turn off the iron section of the machine to stop it from signalling from the pavement.

Yes, the silver ring will give a very high tone, and should be much different sounding than most stuff beneath the asphalt. If it's a fresh drop, it should be relatively easy to pick it out among the other signals you're getting. Maybe someone here that lives nearby could meet you there and try to find it? Good luck.

What's your location? If there's somebody on here located near you then maybe they'd find it for less than what you're paying to rent the detector, and faster too.

Look up "lostmystuff.net". Maybe a volunteer searcher lives close to you. It's a free service, also try "ringfinders". Good luck

Hi ugn

if you decide to rent the Makro Racer again, here are some quick start instructions. Don't use any other settings!

Turn on full volume (if you are not using headphones), go to Three Tone, set the sensitivity(gain) on about 30, try to find a patch of ground or court with no targets, ground balance by pushing the trigger under the control box forward while pumping the coil up and down from 6" to 1" above the ground, once it beeps your good, set the ID Filter on 40 (I can't remember if you can set it higher-if you can set on 65), begin detecting with low slow sweeps (1 sec. left, 1 sec. right), if your ring is good quality silver it should read from upper 70s to upper 90s on the target ID scale with a high tone. Take a quarter with you for testing. Your ring should sound like a quarter

If you hit a target and you get a siren sound (overload signal) and two dashes instead of target ID numbers, lift the coil some and rescan, (it could be your ring).

If you get a good high target sound in the target ID range mentioned you can pinpoint it by moving the coil away from the target about 12" and pulling the trigger towards you (don't release it yet) while you sweep the coil very slowly over the target (the highest/loudest pitch and lowest number in inches displayed will mean the coil is centered over the target). Release the trigger and dig.

Hope you find it.

Jeff

Thank you for your replies, everyone.
Jeff, special thanks for such a detailed explanation.
I will try to rent the gear again and see what happens :)

Grab a snow shovel. Go to the area you think it is .. then dig a 10ft circle or however big. Scoop it all into a metal garbage bin and then melt the snow..if you dont want to melt it, take it out scoop by scoop and run it over the top of the metal detector coil. Metal will set it off..or seeing how the ring is silver go spend $5 or $10 and get another.

Where are you located? If someone is nearby I'm sure they'd be happy to assist you

Back
Top Bottom