A first for me, never thought I'd see one come out of the ground!

^^^^^ mine too.

Skip, I think your son buried that for you ten minutes before you dug it ;)

How do your Jeff nickels come out of the ground? Like that Buffalo? Or do you have a nickel cleaning secret you ought to be sharing here? C’mon, fess up Skip.
Kidding aside, congratulations on a long-awaited bucket lister. Good job!

Jim

I might have suspected it, had he been hunting with me, but I was solo, yesterday. As for cleaning, yeah.. Toothbrush at the kitchen sink. :)

But as noted, I don't think it was lost too long ago. I forgot my lesche digger, and was only using a screwdriver. everything I popped was only 3-4 inches down.

Congrats on the Buffalo. I see you're using the AT Max with the NEL Thunder coil. How do you like that setup? I'm using the Max and am shopping for a Thunder.

That's a fantastic find, Skippy! I love the condition it's in - just beautiful! :woot:

Congrats on the Buff and other finds. I started finding more nickels and Buffs when I got the Nox 800 for some reason.

Nice surprise! Congrats on the elusive Buffalo Nickel dig! Turns out they're not all that super rare around here, but it's hard to find one with any metallic color left, or a date. I could only wish to find one as nice as that.

Congrats on the Buffalo. I see you're using the AT Max with the NEL Thunder coil. How do you like that setup? I'm using the Max and am shopping for a Thunder.

It is fantastic. Coverage with the coil is incredible. The DD coil also separates quite well.

The pros are that it's absolutely KILLER for doing large fields, you can really eat up the turf with a large coil like this. It's got great target separation, and with just 2-3 sensitivity, will pick a dime out of 6-7 inches of dirt.

The cons:
- If you're in a truly trashy field, you have to slow down, and pick apart all the signals. It hasn't stopped me from pulling golds out of fields where there are 3-12 signals for every sweep, it's just annoying slow.
- This thing is HEAVY. You need to build up arm strength to swing this sucker. It's not incrementally that much heavier than a Hunter coil, or the stock coil, but because it's at the end of the stick, the leverage is much greater. Just expect your arm to be tired very quickly when you first start. I have no problem hunting for 4-6 hours now, but when I started, my arm hurt after 15-30 minutes. And I was switching from an NEL Hunter. (The same thing happened with the Hunter coil, btw.).

The rate I can cover ground (especially in spots I frequent) is just incredible. I can actually do a whole soccer field in a single trip now. That's something I could never do with a stock coil.

Cheers!

Nice save !!! I have found several very nice old coins but only 1 buffalo all the time I have hunted. WTG !!

Great info, thanks a lot!

My NEL Thunder is on its way, should arrive Tomorrow or Monday. It sounds funny, but I've been spending the last few weeks at the gym doing a lot of arm/shoulder weights, preparing for it. Training up! I also plan on shortening up the shaft by 1 - 2 notches, hoping that will offset some of the extra weight.

Very anxious for this to arrive!

It is fantastic. Coverage with the coil is incredible. The DD coil also separates quite well.

The pros are that it's absolutely KILLER for doing large fields, you can really eat up the turf with a large coil like this. It's got great target separation, and with just 2-3 sensitivity, will pick a dime out of 6-7 inches of dirt.

The cons:
- If you're in a truly trashy field, you have to slow down, and pick apart all the signals. It hasn't stopped me from pulling golds out of fields where there are 3-12 signals for every sweep, it's just annoying slow.
- This thing is HEAVY. You need to build up arm strength to swing this sucker. It's not incrementally that much heavier than a Hunter coil, or the stock coil, but because it's at the end of the stick, the leverage is much greater. Just expect your arm to be tired very quickly when you first start. I have no problem hunting for 4-6 hours now, but when I started, my arm hurt after 15-30 minutes. And I was switching from an NEL Hunter. (The same thing happened with the Hunter coil, btw.).

The rate I can cover ground (especially in spots I frequent) is just incredible. I can actually do a whole soccer field in a single trip now. That's something I could never do with a stock coil.

Cheers!

We have similar hunting goals/targets, so I know just how you feel. I found one too! I couldn't believe it. Nice find buddy.

Back
Top Bottom