Newbie here hunting on private property

Cabojay

Hi,
I have had a metal detector for years a preditor but now moved up the equinox 600. What do you offer the property owner in regards to your finds? Do the get some or not and how do you approach them? Thanks for any info Jay

Hello, good luck and happy hunting.

When asking permission, remember -

The landowner owes you nothing.

You most likely aren't doing them a favor by removing trash that was buried inn the first place.

When granted permission, it is because of the generosity of the owner, or due to an agreement made with the owner.

The landowner has the right to ask to see all of your finds, and keep any, all or none of the finds, based on the agreement by both parties.

Don't cheat or lie your way out of an agreement you entered into voluntarily.

It shows lack of integrity.

Don't get angry with the owner if they want some or all of your finds and tell them to go out and buy their own $1000 detector and then they can keep everything!.

One gentleman said something about sharing if I found a jar full of gold coins. I told him I'd certainly share. He could have the jar!

The private permissions I've had I always offer them anything that appears that it could have sentimental value (an old brass wedding band, a skeleton key from their house, etc)

So far no one has taking me up on it, other than one medallion, and a 1920 wheat penny

Hi,
I have had a metal detector for years a preditor but now moved up the equinox 600. What do you offer the property owner in regards to your finds? Do the get some or not and how do you approach them? Thanks for any info Jay

In short, nothing.

I do tell them that any personally identifiable items such as a class ring, jewelry with engravings on it etc are returned to the rightful owner.

I've only had one or two owners want to keep whatever I found and I politely declined and moved on to the next place.

I don’t bring it up unless they do. It’s their property and I’ll usually take whatever deal I can get if it’s a really nice property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One gentleman said something about sharing if I found a jar full of gold coins. I told him I'd certainly share. He could have the jar!

That's a good one - made me laugh. Ironically depending on the age and condition of jar you find the jar could actually be pretty valuable - some of those antique jars sell for thousands of dollars because they are so rare.

Back
Top Bottom