• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Hello 🙂

HeatherFoyt

Hello, My name is Heather.
I am here to gather information on purchasing a detector for my husband's birthday. I'm clueless.
I have been reading the purchasing a detector for beginners thread. Lots of good info to start with in there.
I have my selections narrowed down to a few based on recommendations. I'd love to speak with someone who can help steer me right.
I'm in the Pacific Northwest and so he will be doing river and woods hunting and prob parks and trails and things like that...
Help me, I'm on info overload.
I'm looking obviously for weatherproof (lots of wetness here)
And not something so beginner that he can't do things he'd like. Which seems to be the common story around here hehe
But also I have a few more specific questions. Thanks all.

I should also add... I've been shopping on Amazon 💁 and I'm looking at package deals that have at least a headset and a storage bag. I need a handheld??

Some recommended do not have a package that I can find so. I'm willing to trade off features and extras

:fmdfwelcome:... from the cold & snowy state of Minnesota! :lotsasnow::snowtruck::snowballfight: Thanks for joining, we're glad to have you with us. :yes:

I would recommend a package similar to this Garrett Ace 300 package. Great detector that is easy to use. Also, this package comes with Garrett's high-end handheld pinpointer (the Garrett ProPointer AT), Garrett ClearSound headphones, a coil cover to prevent wear on the coil, a finds pouch, & hat. This package is around $400. If that is more than you want to spend, there are also less expensive packages with fewer items or different detectors. :D

Here are a couple more options:
This package has a better detector, the Garrett Ace 400 package, but Garrett's ProPointer II instead (which retails a little less than the ProPointer AT). This package also excludes a finds pouch & hat. Cost is about $400.

This Garrett Ace 300 package is around $300. This package doesn't have a pinpointer, hat, or finds pouch, but does have a carrying case.

Last edited:
Hi Heather! Very cool that you're doing this for your husband! And you're absolutely on the right track joining the forum - you'll get far better information here from experienced detectorists than you ever will from reading Amazon reviews.

It sounds like you have been doing a good amount of homework so far, and you provided a very good overview of what you think your husband will want from the detector - all that you've left out is your approximate budget. If you're willing to share how much you're looking to spend, that will have a significant impact on the recommendations that folks will offer.

Also, please, PLEASE hold off on buying a detector or detector package through Amazon - the sponsors on this forum can easily beat Amazon's prices if you mention that you're a FMDF member!

Oh man, I had a whole long reply written and somehow deleted it 😂
I'm looking at the ace300 set on Amazon for $280ish
Comes with a case, headset, controls cover, and coil cover.
Or F22 for $219 with nothing.
Do I need to have a pinpointer? I'd like one but I kind of like the Garrett set up I mentioned. $400 is just too high for me at this time, so I figure I can get a pinpointer later? Or a cheaper one if that's doable?
I guess I'm kind of set on that ace then? Sounds like? Unless you know of places I should be looking for these types of package deals that may be more suitable? I mean, I don't think I need a hat.
I just wasn't sure if I was missing anything I haven't read about yet. 🙂

:fmdfwelcome:... from the cold & snowy state of Minnesota! :lotsasnow::snowtruck::snowballfight: Thanks for joining, we're glad to have you with us. :yes:

I would recommend a package similar to this Garrett Ace 300 package. Great detector that is easy to use. Also, this package comes with Garrett's high-end handheld pinpointer (the Garrett ProPointer AT), Garrett ClearSound headphones, a coil cover to prevent wear on the coil, a finds pouch, & hat. This package is around $400. If that is more than you want to spend, there are also less expensive packages with fewer items or different detectors. :D

Here are a couple more options:
This package has a better detector, the Garrett Ace 400 package, but Garrett's ProPointer II instead (which retails a little less than the ProPointer AT). This package also excludes a finds pouch & hat. Cost is about $400.

This Garrett Ace 300 package is around $300. This package doesn't have a pinpointer, hat, or finds pouch, but does have a carrying case.

I see you beat me to my link.. yeah that $280 set is the same I'm looking at.. can you recommend a less expensive pinpointer for the time being?

I think for me at this time it's the best value, he will be set up more or less. For a minute anyway, until he gets hooked. He doesn't even know he wants one yet. He will be so surprised.

I started with an Ace400, really not too different from the Ace300 that you're looking at. I personally liked the Ace series very much - very easy to learn and fun to use, literally a turn it on and go type of detector. One thing to keep in mind is that none of the Ace series is weatherproof - you definitely don't want the control box getting wet. They do come with the "environmental cover", but I considered that more of a dust/dirt protector than a rain coat ;)

I'm not specifically familiar with the Fisher F22, but I know others on the forum have good things to say about it as a starter unit. From what I see online it is weatherproof, which checks one of your boxes. Keep in mind, if the F22 doesn't come with headphone, that will be a hidden expense though - he'll need those to avoid annoying other folks around him and to better hear targets in noisy environments.

Personally, I highly recommend a pinpointer - they make target recovery much simpler and far less frustrating, which leads to greater enjoyment of the hobby. One option is to scan the classified section of this forum - if you're patient, you can usually find a good deal on a quality, but used, pinpointer. Another option might be to get by with a cheap pinpoint that you can find on Amazon or eBay, but they're generally considered a waste of money because they are poor quality - either don't last long, don't work well, or both.

I see you beat me to my link.. yeah that $280 set is the same I'm looking at.. can you recommend a less expensive pinpointer for the time being?

I think for me at this time it's the best value, he will be set up more or less. For a minute anyway, until he gets hooked. He doesn't even know he wants one yet. He will be so surprised.

I would say yes, that is a good deal to go with the Ace 300.

Although a pinpointer is useful and much quicker then without one, I have metal detected without one most of the past 2 years. :D For Christmas my brother bought me this one, and it works quite well. :yes: About $25: GP-Pointer. My sister, brother, and best friend also have one, and they like theirs as well. :yes: It is nicely made, and although it isn't submersible into water, it is weather proof. :yes:

As was said before, buy from a forum sponsers. You'll get a better deal than anywhere else if you mention you are on this forum. They can also talk to you and help you figure out what's right for you.

There is a link to forum sponsers at the top right of this page.

It is nicely made, and although it isn't submersible into water, it is weather proof. :yes:

The Aces are not weatherproof, like most the coils are waterproof but the rest of it has no extra weatherproofing whatsoever.

That F22 does, extra sealing all around and tested not only in heavy rain but actually dunked and left underwater for about 1/2 hour.
They won't come right out and say waterproof but if your hubby is going to be around or in shallow creeks and rivers a lot all I can say accidents happen...
Your warranty is null and void if manufacturers see evidence of water damage on units that are not officially weatherproof or waterproof.

If he hunts mostly on land away from water most anything should be ok, for years many of us use regular detectors and maybe out a plastic bag over the electronic and battery parts in case we get caught in heavy rain.

I can see where you can get confused, you are listening to several different people with all kinds of opinions about something you have no clue about and trying to buy decent equipment for someone else.

Here is the deal....

When we enter this hobby one of two things happen, we stay in it or figure out soon enough this is not fun and something we feel like doing so we get out.
That first one is important...a bad working tool can drive you out quickly if it is too frustrating to work with, a good working detector makes this hobby fun and rewarding.

If we stay in it is rare that hunters buy their first one and just use it forever, especially if it is one of the lower price the starter range models.
We all learn and gain knowledge and eventually understand all about brands, models features and benefits available to us and if we want to upgrade we know which way to go for our next one.
Some upgrade pretty quickly but others wait awhile, maybe years, before considering buying another if they picked out a good one as their first.

As far as accessories yes, it is nice to have the best highest quality toys and extras but they are not needed at first.

Headphones...definitely I suggest them but real expensive ones are not necessary just starting out in a budget.
Most packages that have them are usually pretty cheap, something you can buy yourself at lots of stores or online.
I use $100 or so quality phones, now, but in the past I have used and still sometimes use cheaper ones like $25 and under plus earbuds.
I needed some when I went in vacation so I just stopped into Wal-Mart and spent like $15 on some cheap Sony headphones...not the greatest but they worked fine and helped me find stuff.
You need an adapter most of the time to use regular phones on metal detectors
and that is a couple of bucks at most.
Those Sony phones I bought actually had an adapter in the package.

Diggers, I have nice ones now, hand diggers and small shovels, nice to have and use but not necessary.
I started with a $5 hand digger from Home Depot, I have really tough soil that kills most hand diggers around here but even the cheap ones last for awhile.

Handheld pinpointers....these are used to find metal targets in the holes we dig and hiding in the dirt we pull out of holes.
VERY helpful when you are new and indispensable for many veterans.
I won't go hunting without one, not fun for me.

Again I have nice expensive ones because they just work great but cheaper ones work too, a lot of them, anyway.
Not as well as the best ones but they work and I started out with a cheap one from Harbor Freight and it was fantastic....1000x's better than using nothing for sure.
https://www.harborfreight.com/metal-detector-97245.html

Basically buy the best bang for the buck detector and don't worry about accessories because the cheap stuff works pretty well and can be upgraded.
Beware of package deals that have a lot of useless stuff you don't need or contain things like headphones that you can buy aftermarket that are as good or even better.

I like Fisher detectors, great quality and very capable and a nicer screen than that Ace.
High quality, actually weatherproof and great to learn on.
Call a few dealers that sponsor the forum and ask what else they can do for you, free shipping is usually included but what you see online isn't always what you get...they can deal.
Not much room to discount or add in a whole lot of decent accessories at starting unit level price points but you can ask.
https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/fisher-f22-metal-detector

This is Bart at BigBoysHobbies, I have dealt with him in the past as have countless others so maybe start here.
I used an old version of that F22...an F2, if the same DNA is in the new one you can do a lot worse.

Start with a decent name brand tool for a detector like the Garrett and Fisher you mentioned.
Don't worry about top of the line accessories at first, a trip to a hardware store can get you decent, cheap tool pouches and diggers, cheap useable headphones are everywhere.

If I lived in an area with the large possibility of rain anytime and especially if I was going anywhere near water I would choose the F22 and it's extra protection...plus for how well it works for a detector in your price range.
Waterproof detectors are even better but way out of your price range...for now.

Good luck!

The Aces are not weatherproof, like most the coils are waterproof but the rest of it has no extra weatherproofing whatsoever.

That F22 does, extra sealing all around and tested not only in heavy rain but actually dunked and left underwater for about 1/2 hour.
They won't come right out and say waterproof but if your hubby is going to be around or in shallow creeks and rivers a lot all I can say accidents happen...
Your warranty is null and void if manufacturers see evidence of water damage on units that are not officially weatherproof or waterproof.

If he hunts mostly on land away from water most anything should be ok, for years many of us use regular detectors and maybe out a plastic bag over the electronic and battery parts in case we get caught in heavy rain.

I can see where you can get confused, you are listening to several different people with all kinds of opinions about something you have no clue about and trying to buy decent equipment for someone else.

Here is the deal....

When we enter this hobby one of two things happen, we stay in it or figure out soon enough this is not fun and something we feel like doing so we get out.
That first one is important...a bad working tool can drive you out quickly if it is too frustrating to work with, a good working detector makes this hobby fun and rewarding.

If we stay in it is rare that hunters buy their first one and just use it forever, especially if it is one of the lower price the starter range models.
We all learn and gain knowledge and eventually understand all about brands, models features and benefits available to us and if we want to upgrade we know which way to go for our next one.
Some upgrade pretty quickly but others wait awhile, maybe years, before considering buying another if they picked out a good one as their first.

As far as accessories yes, it is nice to have the best highest quality toys and extras but they are not needed at first.

Headphones...definitely I suggest them but real expensive ones are not necessary just starting out in a budget.
Most packages that have them are usually pretty cheap, something you can buy yourself at lots of stores or online.
I use $100 or so quality phones, now, but in the past I have used and still sometimes use cheaper ones like $25 and under plus earbuds.
I needed some when I went in vacation so I just stopped into Wal-Mart and spent like $15 on some cheap Sony headphones...not the greatest but they worked fine and helped me find stuff.

Diggers, I have nice ones now, hand diggers and small shovels, nice to have and use but not necessary.
I started with a $5 hand digger from Home Depot, I have really tough soil that kills most hand diggers around here but even the cheap ones last for awhile.

Handheld pinpointers....these are used to find metal targets in the holes we dig and hiding in the dirt we pull out of holes.

Again I have nice expensive ones because they just work great but cheaper ones work too, a lot of them, anyway.
Not as well as the best ones but they work and I started out with a cheap one from Harbor Freight and it was fantastic....1000x's better than using nothing for sure.

Basically buy the best bang for the buck detector and don't worry about accessories because the cheap stuff works pretty well and can be upgraded.
Beware of package deals that have a lot of useless stuff you don't need or contain things like headphones that you can buy aftermarket that are as good or even better.

I like Fisher detectors, great quality and very capable and a nicer screen than that Ace.
Call a few dealers that sponsor the forum and ask what else they can do for you, free shipping is usually included but what you see online isn't always what you get...they can deal.
Not much room to discount or add in a whole lot of decent accessories at starting unit level price points but you can ask.

This is Bart at BigBoysHobbies, I have dealt with him in the past as have countless others so maybe start here.
I used an old version of that F22...an F2, if the same DNA is in the new one you can do a lot worse.

Start with a decent name brand tool for a detector like the Garrett and Fisher you mentioned.
Don't worry about top of the line accessories at first, a trip to a hardware store can get you decent, cheap tool pouches and diggers, cheap useable headphones are everywhere.

If I lived in an area with the large possibility of rain anytime and especially if I was going anywhere near water I would choose the F22 and it's extra protection...plus for how well it works for a detector in your price range.

Good luck!

We have a harbor freight local, do they typically carry things like headphones and pinpointer? I could go for the F22 a little cheaper and buy those things seperate.

I just liked the idea of the carry case for the detector itself, because it will be in and out of vehicles and the garage etc. If I could find any off brand of that I would go for that too... 💁

Here is the deal....

Good luck!
:goodpost: Very helpful; great info. :yes:

However, in my statement "It is nicely made, and although it isn't submersible into water, it is weather proof" I was actually referring to the GP-Pointer:
Although a pinpointer is useful and much quicker then without one, I have metal detected without one most of the past 2 years. :D For Christmas my brother bought me this one, and it works quite well. :yes: About $25: GP-Pointer. My sister, brother, and best friend also have one, and they like theirs as well. :yes: It is nicely made, and although it isn't submersible into water, it is weather proof. :yes:

:D

Oh man, I had a whole long reply written and somehow deleted it 😂
I'm looking at the ace300 set on Amazon for $280ish
Comes with a case, headset, controls cover, and coil cover.
Or F22 for $219 with nothing.
Do I need to have a pinpointer? I'd like one but I kind of like the Garrett set up I mentioned. $400 is just too high for me at this time, so I figure I can get a pinpointer later? Or a cheaper one if that's doable?
I guess I'm kind of set on that ace then? Sounds like? Unless you know of places I should be looking for these types of package deals that may be more suitable? I mean, I don't think I need a hat.
I just wasn't sure if I was missing anything I haven't read about yet. 🙂

Do yourself a favor, click on the list sponsors link in the upper right corner, they will be 100 times more helpful, you will get a detectorist on the other end of the line, to guide you. AND they will beat MAP (minimum advertised price). In other word they will save you money, and if your husband has questions he will have help.

Do not waste your money on the cheap GP, Harbor Freight and other pin pointers They usually do not perform nearly as well as quality ones and they also usually do not last long.

Call two or three of our sponsors and see what they can do for you both in price and packages.

It is well worth your time to do so.

Back
Top Bottom