First time out with my Ace 250

prison police

Hello everyone, I took out my Ace 250 for the FIRST time! :grin:. Was starting to get upset with it. The learning part is not fun :mad:. Found lots of tin,pop lids and etc, but I also found a quarter,and 4 pennies with all dates from 70's to 00. I am going to keep trying and learning. I need to find nice hunting grounds.This adventure was in a park here in Marion Ohio.

I agree with MXTSwinger. I have been doing this for a few years and I am still learning. It is a constant learning process, not only of your machine, but educating yourself as well. Just when you have it all figured out, a new machine comes out that you just gotta have, then guess what.... more learning! But that's what makes this soooooo fun! Welcome to the obsession. Good luck.

prison police said:
Hello everyone, I took out my Ace 250 for the FIRST time! :grin:. Was starting to get upset with it. The learning part is not fun :mad:. Found lots of tin,pop lids and etc, but I also found a quarter,and 4 pennies with all dates from 70's to 00. I am going to keep trying and learning. I need to find nice hunting grounds.This adventure was in a park here in Marion Ohio.

I wasnt real impressed with mine either the first time out but that opinions changed completely now

my problem was that with all the rave reviews I'd read about it I was expecting too much from the machine, I also had it in a fairly high trash area without having learned the machine first, which made all the signals pretty confusing and irritating
after that episode I took it too a nearby beach a few times and learned the machine(which doesnt take long) and found that it is a pretty awesome detector, every bit as good as everyone says it is

since then I've been back to that "trashy" area I first had it at and I'm in the process of detecting the area actually, I've got it about 1/4 of the way done and havent found anything too productive yet out of the junk(just a few coins) but I can tell you that its an entirely different story now...

I just started using mine too finally figured out the pinpoint option. What you need to do to pinpoint with the ace is to keep your feet where the object is, move the ace250 away from the object hold down the pinpoint button and move it over the area again! This will help out alot, took me awhile to figure that out hope you save a little time!!

Well, if its finding metal its doing its job - Its up to the user to decipher what the machine is trying to tell you in the way of what lies beneath the coil.
It is suprisingly accurate at times but, as with all detectors, their id reading is only an electronic beast guess, and while learning, it is best to dig everything, as that is the only way you'll get a feel for whats what .... Along with open air practicing ie laying pennies, quarters, golg rings, silver bracelets and pass the coil over them and see how they id.
Might want to take it a step further and bury them also - And keep in mind that gold rings up in the foil/nickel range, so theres really no good way to tell gold from junk unfortunatly, but to dig it up.
The thing that threw me off the most when I first got the 250 is I was using the tip of the coil as the pinpoint spot [sweetspot some call it].
In reality, it is the tip of the inner coil, and that extra inch or so threw me for a loop until I finally figured it out.

No lie, first 2 weeks I had mine I was ready to wrap it around a tree..it's now my weapon of choice...as X-Ray said, the hot spot is dead center top of the inner coil..that's all I use for pinpointing and I retrieve the coins with a screwdriver...take it to a schoolyard, take your time, and put in some practice..you're gonna love it.. Roadrunner_426

I like my Ace 250, it's a good machine. It was my first detector. I initially knew nothing about the ground and I too had a lot of frustration. So as you're doing your learning, try and keep in mind that's you're not just learning the machine but you're also learning about the ground conditions.

The more to dig, the more you learn about the message that the Ace 250 is telling you about. You've probably read posts about trashy areas, well you won't know what a trashy area is until you've dug up 20 pull tabs one after another.

You're learning a lot, it just feels like a random experience right now.

Thanks everyone. All the info is really helpful. You guys are great! I want to try another park in a little town close to me. Its along a creek that people say many,many years ago there was a battle fought there and when I was growing up in this little town this land was a corn field.Now its nice mowed grass and walking tracks and paths.So I should be able to find something worth the trip :!:So I will waite for the rain to stop. I will not give up on my Ace 250 and one day I will be a detecting freak like you guys :lol:Thanks agian. Prison Police

For a new Swinger try a playground at an elementary school. You will usually find coins and they are easy to dig.

Hey, just got back from hunting. Found 79 cents. All coins were newer.Found most around the playground (wood chips) and a shelter house. Starting to get a little better. Will keep you all posted. Thanks, Chad

I can?t add much more then what has been already said, lots of good sound advice. Three things though! The sensitivity on the Ace 250 is usually set to high, try cutting it back a notch or two it will run more stable.The next thing is if your going to hunt trash filled parks the sniper coil would be worth the purchase, better target separation. And last but not least is practice and patience is the whole key.

DirtDigger

It took me a year to get pretty handy with the machine. Patience, and a good ear are the most important. ( I think anyway.)

My advice, after a year and a helf with an ACE250, is to be patient. Keep the sensitivity set a 3-4 bars, and hunt in coin or jewelry mode to start with. Jewelry mode will find more aluminum trash that coin mode, but it will also be better for finding small gold items, like earrings or small rings that coin mode may disc out as trash.

Also, learn the pinpoint feature! It took me at least 3-4 months to start to get the hang of the pinpointer, but once you learn what the pinpointer is telling you, you can use it to "measure" the target, and will know right away if your target is coin sized with great accuracy.

Good luck, and keep at it, swing slow and easy, and practice, practice practice!

Back
Top Bottom