coil size?

hberry

Can anyone give me some input on coil size as related to depth? Does a larger coil read deeper. I recently purchased 10" and 4" coils for my BH3300. I hope the 4" helps in a couple of trashy areas that I beleive will yeild some nice stuff. Will the 10" give other advantages besides a greater area? Thanks Howard. P.S. They arrived today and I'm hoping to try them out this weekend.

As a general rule, yes, the larger the coil, the more depth. There are variables of course such as coil design(concentric vs DD), and soil mineralization. All things being equal, the 10" coil should deliver about 50% more depth.

Yeah you got the concept right.
Smaller coils [sometimes referred to as snipers] are optimized for picking out treasure amongst trash, and also are better when hunting smallish, constricted areas such as tot lots, where you don't need much depth anyways, and theres alot of metal around.
Larger coils are preferable for open, realatively trash free areas like beaches, lots and open fields.

Depending on the relationship between the original coil (usually 8") and the larger coil can result in about 20 to 25% more depth. If you relate a larger coil to an even smaller coil (4") then the ratio would be slightly greater. All in all with a 7 to 8" coil you get what many manufacturers percieve as the best all around size. Smaller than this is usually deemed to be used for trashy areas or areas whee it is "tight" to swing your coil and a little more sesativity to smaller objects. Larger than 7 to 8" usually gets you more coverage and a bit more depth but you lose some sensativity to smaller objects.

Thanks for the help. Went out for a couple of hours this morning to try the 10" coil. Found 136 coins, 3 bus tokens, two earrings, 1 bullet and a Chuckie Cheese token. I was surprised at yhe increase in depth and accuracy. Found more nickels than ever before. I'm gonna hit the trashy area where the dump was tomorrow. Thanks again, Howard

136 coins plus in a couple hours :shock: that's more than 1 hit a minute plus pinpointing plus digging !!!
never saw that before. :shock:

Howard! I agree, thats a lot , what kind of a hunting ground you got. WTG. Pics?
auseeker...

Unless you're doing sand, I don't know how you guys can that many coins in such a short amount of time. :?:

I guess I'm lucky to have a lot of different areas to hunt. I tried out the 10"coil at a very large tot lot that even has a covered shelter and some adjacent tables outside. The entire lot is covered with wood chips and all I do is locate and scoot the chips with my foot. Sometimes I find more than one coin. Tried out the 4" coil for about an hour this morning. Went to a really trashy playfield at an old high school. Found a few quarters and a gold necklace. Hoping Santa will make it possible for me to show you all some of the things I've found. Can't wait to go to the dump! Thanks ,Howard

Back
Top Bottom