"Coin Garden" one plan

Scavenger

I constructed  a MD test ground by leveling a patch of dirt on a gentle slope of about 1in4 grade. This was done with wooden cribbing and thereby provided a vertical face to insert objects.
[
Depthtestarea-2.jpg

I buried four 1 1/4 in. sections of PVC pipe each 28 inches long  the underground end was sealed with a wooden plug with a small drain hole. The pipes entered at an angle that went from 0 to 10 ins. in depth from the leveled surface. I had considered horizontal pipes at different depth increments, but opted for the slanted tube because the depth could be easily adjusted and fine tuned.
[
DepthMeasurementstick-1.jpg
]
Therefore I can test 4 different  coins at the same depth, or the same coin at different depths simultaniously. The test sticks are 3/4 in. square and have a shallow circular depression at the end to receive the coin, which is secured with  rubber bands. Eventually I want to have a wide rubber strip like a cross section segment of a very narrow bicycle tube to form a pocket for the coin. The important thing being not to have the target fall off in the bottom! The sticks have holes at the inch marks where a stop is inserted.
[
DepthMeasurementstick-2.jpg
]
I have just really started to experiment with settings on my DFX, but it should help in testing the settings.
[
DepthTest-1.jpg
]
[
DepthTest-2.jpg
]

While the absolute depths may not reflect field conditions, they will provide a measurable relative comparison. I'm sure there are many different ways for this kind of testing, suggestions would be welcome.

Great idea, wish I had the free time to do something like that. The ageing of a buried coin will change how a detector responds as well as VDI's, so that is the only shortfall that I see. As far as any criticusm....... those slippers gotta go !!!! :lol: :lol:

This takes me back to the days when we used batteries made of stone in our detectors. Mewnorton test pegs. A guy came up with the idea of a peg that would be knocked into the ground at an angle of 45 degrees. The metal tip was shaped to give the exact response of one of our most common coins. Tap it in the ground fully at the right angle and you would get the same target response as the coin at six inches. You could attach an extension tube to take the tip to twelve inches or measure whats sticking out of the ground to get any depth in between.
The advantage being that the ground remained undisturbed ....disadvantage (for those who believe in 'halo effect' in non ferrous metals) no chance for ground acids to attack the metal.

That is one nice test area! Good job! Sure beats my sanded test buckets! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom