• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

"Vintage Compass 77B Pro"

T

Thomas

Hi All,
First post:
After lurking/reading here for several days prior to joining, did dig out of closed above mentioned "manual" 6 knob MD and attempted to adjust. I have come to the following (probably wrong) conclusions:
1. The older units not very easy to set up properly:
2. This units "coarse" mineral/metal adjustment knob (7/8 turn pot) needs replacement:
3. That the aluminum length adjustment tube effects the coil pickup.

This MD I purchased few years ago at estate sale and sent it to recommended repair facility to have serviced. If memory serves, they replaced a couple of caps which go bad to heat and non-use. When it was returned it checked out fine and was stuck in closet.

Today, was brought out again and finally was able to get acceptable settings. However, a slight bump on the case would cause the coarse adjustment to change.
I guess my question is, anyone in the "audience" versed on upgrading some of the manual components to "semiconductor chips?" Or recommend pitching whole unit and getting full solid state unit? I will change out the pot anyway.
(If still serviceable)
My reasoning to now pickup this hobby is due to flagging physical health in my "Golden Years" which ain't so golden. Its either get physical or get in the wheelchair. Wife will not allow me to have 2 30 y.o. fems as surrogates. I asked, but knew what answer would be.
I do expect to purchase a new unit to be primary MD and use this one in heavy iron soil.
TLS

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard and back to the hobby from another retired guy in California.

I think you're looking to pour "good money after bad" trying to convert the unit.

Regarding the aluminum shaft...It shouldn't affect the coil. It's stationary with respect to the coil when swinging.

There are a lot of nice, inexpensive machines on the market now (my original was a 1981 Radio Shack "Somethingortheother") that will perform miracles compared to the older machines.

(Watch: Someone will haul out their old Jetco and claim finds three feet deep.:lol::lol::lol:)

my dad used a compass 77B and I have his metal detecting box that was passed down to me which has quite a few indians, silver dimes, silver quarters, and rings. That machine is probably pretty decent..

Back
Top Bottom