When You Hear A Good Tone...

collegefbfan

So, still a newbie. A question or two. So, when detecting and you hear a good tone... how long do you stay with it when it goes away kind of quickly? Like, detecting, I hear a good tone in the 80's or 90's but it goes away. I try and get it back. Sometimes, it doesn't come back or another lower tone takes its place. When you hit a good item, coin, or whatever, how do you get that signal/tone to stick? So, you know it's a coin or something good. Like wave coil back and forth slower or faster or what? Thanks.

So, still a newbie. A question or two. So, when detecting and you hear a good tone... how long do you stay with it when it goes away kind of quickly? Like, detecting, I hear a good tone in the 80's or 90's but it goes away. I try and get it back. Sometimes, it doesn't come back or another lower tone takes its place. When you hit a good item, coin, or whatever, how do you get that signal/tone to stick? So, you know it's a coin or something good. Like wave coil back and forth slower or faster or what? Thanks.

First of all since your still learning you probably should be digging those targets to help learn your machine.

If it goes away, or hit a couple then sent low many more times , sounds like falsing rusty iron. Work in a circle arou d the target. Listen to what your machine is telling you, then dig it.

Bury some clad coins in your yard a few inches deep to practice. Most detectors if you swing over a coin it does not go away. Big Treble is right dig it all for awhile. Plus at first it's best to go to places with lots of clad just for practice.

But just curious, if I have it set to coins discrimination, should I be hearing tones for iron or other trash? It's like the machine is making it tough to tell.

i would also strongly advise against coin mode,that middle area thats notched out could be gold rings, so you dig more pop tops,its what you got to do to hit gold.try relic or jewelry mode that will knock out a lot of the iron trash and then every thing else has a possibility of being good .then as you get more experience try zero mode and let your ears do the discrimination

For instance a coin will beep in two directions swinging. If you get a beep one direction but not the other its probably junk.(with the ace 250)

But just curious, if I have it set to coins discrimination, should I be hearing tones for iron or other trash? It's like the machine is making it tough to tell.

Usually, but some times a rusty piece of iron can fool your detector. Your metal detector does not and can not actually "test" the metal so to speak. It is programed to make assumptions based on return signals evaluating size, shape, and surface area. Rusty metal can flake which creates more surface area for current to travel on.

Slowing down on a signal and working the signal in circles can help with analysis of the target. It can also make you lazy and make you miss targets too, as iron can mask good targets. :grin:

Well went out this morning and did a little detecting. A lot of trash. I did find a penny, not wheat, but can't even tell the date. Also, found a dime. Looks super aged but 1996.
In relation to my title, it's like I hear a high tone for a second. Then I have to search to keep it or try to keep it constant. Whereas, a "good item" seems to stick more consistent. Any other tips?

I was watching a YT video on the MineLab Xterra 305. The guy said something that made me post this. Sometimes I only hear the beep when the MD swings one direction. Like to the right but not back to the left.

Last edited:
I would almost bet your sensitivity is at the default setting. Lower it a couple of bars and see if the false signal doesn't go away.

Real good question.

There are no abaolutes when studying every suspect hit or target.
Coil position meaning how centered on a hit, coil height, coil sweep speed and actual angular approach, and one or a combination of these can affect how a target sounds when resweeping.

Usually a person hears some thing of interest, then they start honing in with better and controlled coil movements and position.
And what is heard or not heard based on a person’s established regime usually based on experience will they further investigate.

So dig away doing some trial and error, you will start to see patterns develop.

Iron, lots of times it will sound erratic from sweep to sweep vs a nonferous item.
Iron can sound good btw making you think nonferrous object even a coin.

Things like pinpoint, strength of signal, how consistent the signal between multiple sweeps, pinpoint location vs where detector locates using hunt mode,,all these are generally clues for a detectorist. Not all detectors have the same exact behavior either. So practice with yours and learn it.

Great question again.

For instance a coin will beep in two directions swinging. If you get a beep one direction but not the other its probably junk.(with the ace 250)

I agree.

Used to dig all the one ways, with my 350 and Pro, but never found anything but junk.

Not saying this is always the case, probably someone will jump in and post about their great one-way find. I get it. i'm probably missing some great stuff, but this is the pattern I have become accustomed to.

Many thanks. So on vacation in Asheville NC. I am digging a new yard with permission. So, now there is a lot of interference after detecting a bit. There are no more power lines than at my place. I mean this thing was chatty on all frequency levels. Cut it off and back on and it acts fine for a bit. I swear I think this coil or something is not right.

I got permission to detect an older home and the air conditioner caused so much EMI that I could not detect. Should have gone back during the winter but never did.

I want to thank you all for the advice. This house in Asheville must have a ton of stuff under ground. I found two thin pipes I think. Also, I was pinpointing an area left to right and got it. Then, front to back it stayed at a loud tone for at least two feet. I did not dig that. I did find a huge rusty nail. A car battery cable terminal, and a bolt. All !!!!.

Ok. Just throwing this out there. So, with testing nickels, dimes, quarters, pennies, etc. let's say I know what numbers those items throw at me. Would it be wise to dig and see and hear when only those numbers pop up? Or is that approach stupid? Because frankly, I am getting tired of digging every item that beeps from a nickel up to 99. And then finding just c r a p.

Ok. Just throwing this out there. So, with testing nickels, dimes, quarters, pennies, etc. let's say I know what numbers those items throw at me. Would it be wise to dig and see and hear when only those numbers pop up? Or is that approach stupid? Because frankly, I am getting tired of digging every item that beeps from a nickel up to 99. And then finding just c r a p.

If you're after modern coins, that's the way to do it. You will miss a lot of jewelry and coin spills can ring in any where. If I'm finding a bunch of pull tabs I'll skip those, but I know it could be a ring. I tend to dig solid repeatable signals with iron disc pretty high until I get tired of trash and then try for just coins I'm just enjoying a day in the park and not in any hurry, but if you want to make bank, just hit repeatable coin signals

You're using a VLF single frequency machine.

Imagine using a multi frequency machine like an Excal on a salt water beach with varying tones. Granted the digging is easier and you can ignore iron but you have to put in bit of time to learn what the tones are telling you.

I agree a practice garden will help but in time it will become natural to you.

Back
Top Bottom