Lithium Rechargeable Battery / Nox 800

OzarkDetector

I want to take care of the battery the best way, in order to get the most life out of the cell. Now I've lived through a lot of different rechargeable battery technologies in my life. I must confess I'm not clear on the type of lithium cell in the Nox, but more importantly, it's care.
I've read conflicting ways to treat a lithium cell, however, is the conclusion that the more times a cell depletes and gets recharged, that will shorten its life?
As will letting the battery discharge too deep, and do that too many cycles?
So now I'm thinking would a good idea be to just strap a power bank to the Nox, 24 / 7? So if the internal battery never depletes, that's a good thing, right?
Any electronic engineers out there?

All rechargeable batteries chemistry break down over time and with repeated use. Over charging and over discharging make it worse. Most lithium devices/batteries/chargers have over charge/discharge protection built in. Lithium batteries should be stored at about 50% charge when not in use for awhile.

I charge

Mine up before every hunt, i have noticed full charge after a 4 hour hunt, look's like there will be NO problem's for a long time, i also charge the head phones before each hunt, No issue's , the only thing about the 800 i didn't like is the stock shaft, now i have a CF- Plugger- one piece shaft and it's great, the wobble is Gone, stronger, loving the machine now at the beach, Earl

The main concern I have is doing whatever is best to maintain the life of the internal battery.
My thinking is, if you keep the 800 continually connected to a power bank, 24 / 7, that would be the best way. Then at end of each use, you charge the power bank. So in this scenario, the cell in the 800 never depletes, and is always at 100 percent, unless, of course, you let the power bank deplete.

Regarding the shaft:
I have the Anderson shaft. It came with nylon washers, to be placed in front and back of the rubber washer .. it makes the coil GLIDE WITH STABILITY, whenever moved. One other thing, I put the Minelab cuff on the Anderson shaft, and was able to put the cuff at the very rear of the shaft, and was also able to move the LCD a bit lower on the shaft. It fits like a glove now, without the glove, lol.

OZ

Only the upper CF shaft is supplied with Plugger for 45 clams cheaper than Anderson, you use the same stock lower rod and stock cuff with plugger, and i was able to move the unit lower for balance just like you did, 3 adjustment holes for cuff , 3 for unit, I got the 36 which is 1 1/2 inches more than ML stock, he also makes a 39 if your 6 ft 6 or taller :shock::laughing:

The main concern I have is doing whatever is best to maintain the life of the internal battery.
My thinking is, if you keep the 800 continually connected to a power bank, 24 / 7, that would be the best way. Then at end of each use, you charge the power bank. So in this scenario, the cell in the 800 never depletes, and is always at 100 percent, unless, of course, you let the power bank deplete.

Is this your personal opinion or did you read some factual basis for this. Just curious as I would like to extend the life of the battery as long as possible. I usually don't charge mine until it gets down to two bars...unless I have a very long detecting day and it gets down to one.

No, like I said, its just my thinking, which could be dangerous .. ..

Ok, thanks. The little I've read up on recharging lithium batteries is that you shouldn't run them down to nothing everytime out. Other than that I really don't know what's best for them.

Ok, thanks. The little I've read up on recharging lithium batteries is that you shouldn't run them down to nothing everytime out. Other than that I really don't know what's best for them.

this is the sticking point that confuses most people. The detector (and almost every detector sold today) has a voltage limiter. When the battery reserve falls too low to meet that threshold, the detector dies. That does NOT mean the battery is dead or even close to. Running until the detector dies is not equal to running the battery flat. You can safely run them until the detector dies, then recharge it thousands of time without failure or loss of power.

this is the sticking point that confuses most people. The detector (and almost every detector sold today) has a voltage limiter. When the battery reserve falls too low to meet that threshold, the detector dies. That does NOT mean the battery is dead or even close to. Running until the detector dies is not equal to running the battery flat. You can safely run them until the detector dies, then recharge it thousands of time without failure or loss of power.

For "protected" lithium ion batteries, there is a voltage limiter embedded in the battery (usually on the top of the battery) that will not allow the battery to fall below the safe voltage and will not allow the cell to be overcharged. Lithium batteries that are fully discharged become very dangerous when recharged, and without the circuit they are not safe to use unless they are monitored by someone who understands their limitations and does not discharge the battery below the proper level. Spontaneous fires in laptops, motorized skateboards and possibly even metal detectors using lithium ion batteries are due to a lack of, a failure of, or improper design of this protection circuit.

For "protected" lithium ion batteries, there is a voltage limiter embedded in the battery (usually on the top of the battery) that will not allow the battery to fall below the safe voltage and will not allow the cell to be overcharged. Lithium batteries that are fully discharged become very dangerous when recharged, and without the circuit they are not safe to use unless they are monitored by someone who understands their limitations and does not discharge the battery below the proper level. Spontaneous fires in laptops, motorized skateboards and possibly even metal detectors using lithium ion batteries are due to a lack of, a failure of, or improper design of this protection circuit.

Awesome! Learned some more good info there. I didnt realize lithiums had that (or were supposed to have that) in the battery itself.

Alot of people worried about the internal rechargeable on these units, unnecessarily I might add.
I removed the battery in my Equinox in less than 5 minutes, installed in even less time and dunked it to confirm that it retains in waterproof status. I have found several sources for a replacement battery at a very reasonable cost.
I have purchased and replaced lithium ion batteries in several different electronic devices with no issues.
I guess we always fear the unknown so let me assure you the battery replacement is no big deal.

Likely the detector will bite the dust elsewhere long before the battery kraps out. I run a bunch of lithium cells on everything.Drills, bikes, lights, shavers, detectors,etc. Mian problem with the Lithium hover boards is morons run them wide open and get the battery red hot. Im still using the stock excalibur battery from 2010 and its still going strong after over 1000 or 2000 charges. Old SLA ebike batteries used to max out at 350 cycles. Lithium is good for about 1500 or more:shock:

One of the other important factors: don't let your lithium ion batteries get too hot (or cold). Apparently heat is one of the main accelerants of their deterioration. I'm guessing this is one of the major reasons all the manufacturers tell you not to leave your detector in a hot car.

As someone else mentioned, it's my understanding (don't quote me on this) that lithium ions also don't like being deep-cycled very much (even with the protection circuit). So Ozark, maybe your strategy would work - who knows?
I always try to keep my phone charged above 50%, and my batteries have lasted longer than a lot of others', but anecdotal evidence doesn't count for much :shrug:

Alot of people worried about the internal rechargeable on these units, unnecessarily I might add.
I removed the battery in my Equinox in less than 5 minutes, installed in even less time and dunked it to confirm that it retains in waterproof status. I have found several sources for a replacement battery at a very reasonable cost.

Ok, so that's good to hear. So what are the details on the battery, like model number, voltage, etc.?

Likely the detector will bite the dust elsewhere long before the battery kraps out. I run a bunch of lithium cells on everything. Old SLA ebike batteries used to max out at 350 cycles. Lithium is good for about 1500 or more

I want to agree with that many cycles, but then I think how many bad lithium cells I've had with lithium battery yard tools.

One of the other important factors: don't let your lithium ion batteries get too hot (or cold). Apparently heat is one of the main accelerants of their deterioration. I'm guessing this is one of the major reasons all the manufacturers tell you not to leave your detector in a hot car.

As someone else mentioned, it's my understanding (don't quote me on this) that lithium ions also don't like being deep-cycled very much (even with the protection circuit). So Ozark, maybe your strategy would work - who knows?

Yes, I would think leaving it in the bed of a truck would be even worse than leaving it in the backseat or a trunk.

I am into vaping and many of the mods and mechs over the last several years have used one if not 2-3 18650 batteries but are getting larger.
The Nox units 26650 batteries which are a bit larger according to the pics in choppadude's link.
There are different mA ratings for these things, different ones are used in vaping and might not be exactly the same as the Nox batteries but the chemistry is the same.
Most into vaping know about and listen to this guy who is the Yoda of battery information, not just for vaping but for many other products out there that use high power batteries.
He tests batteries to the max and understands everything about them.
These things can be dangerous if you don't respect them and they won't last very long if you don't know how to take care of them.
The name he goes by is Battery Mooch, here are several tips about safe battery maintenance that can transfer over to to Nox owners.

https://m.facebook.com/batterymooch/posts/1755856891370556:0

Last edited:
Thank you DIGGER27 and choppadude.
I don't know how I missed that on the MD-Hunter site,
and after a good read, hats off to Mooch for that good info.

Back
Top Bottom