Unstanding frequency

ME&MYACE400

Elite Member
I don't understand how frequency is used or what you use it on, can you give some samples please

To keep it simple and very basic, different frequencies result in different responses from different metals.
According to George Payne, the father of today's metal detector technology, a silver dime responds best to a frequency of 2.7 kHz. Nickels and gold jewelry respond best around 16.5 kHz. All other US coins are most responsive to frequencies under 10 kHz. Gold nuggets are better served with a frequency of 20 kHz or faster.
This is not to say that a given frequency won't garner a response from a metal that is less than optimal for that frequency, but the frequencies specified above will result in the most positive responses for those target metals.

To keep it simple and very basic, different frequencies result in different responses from different metals.
According to George Payne, the father of today's metal detector technology, a silver dime responds best to a frequency of 2.7 kHz. Nickels and gold jewelry respond best around 16.5 kHz. All other US coins are most responsive to frequencies under 10 kHz. Gold nuggets are better served with a frequency of 20 kHz or faster.
This is not to say that a given frequency won't garner a response from a metal that is less than optimal for that frequency, but the frequencies specified above will result in the most positive responses for those target metals.

Thank you, will try that. Sometimes if seems like having the same knowledge of knowing how a engine works:lol:

Well I have noticed that the button has up and down but it doesn't show you where you have it set at.

The ACE400 isn't capable of actually changing frequency. It runs at 10kHz and only allows minor shifts to help cut down on EMI.

Well I have noticed that the button has up and down but it doesn't show you where you have it set at.

You don't really need to know the exact frequency... it just nudges it a little, so your machine won't pick up the noise being transmitted by some electrical signal nearby. It's like tuning your car radio between stations. It only matters that there's nothing being broadcast there, so your Garrett can use that area.

From the manual, p. 2, the picture of the control panel:

"Frequency Adjust
While holding down (/X) button,
use DISCRIM (+) or (-) to increase
or decrease frequency setting."

You don't really need to know the exact frequency... it just nudges it a little, so your machine won't pick up the noise being transmitted by some electrical signal nearby. It's like tuning your car radio between stations. It only matters that there's nothing being broadcast there, so your Garrett can use that area.

From the manual, p. 2, the picture of the control panel:

"Frequency Adjust
While holding down (/X) button,
use DISCRIM (+) or (-) to increase
or decrease frequency setting."

That's what i forgot..to hold down the button at the same time.
Thank you

Eventually you will pick up another machine that can adapt to different coil frequencies and then it becomes more to learn. Not only what frequency but what coil size to choose for your application. you are basically shifting the frequency from its optimum setting when you shift the frequency on a machine such as you have or like the T2 that I have. Your not really shifting the frequency itself, just offsetting its optimum setting so the machine runs more stable or becomes more compatible when using a pin pointer near its vicinity.

Unless talking about “radical depth in radical environments” frequency is the very LEAST of your concerns Ace. The VERY BASICS of metal detecting will find you 90% of what you will ever find that you INTENDED to find. If you are hunting coins,and 90% of what you dig up are NOT coins,the BASICS of detecting have not been applied properly. Google “metal detecting basics” and have a look around. Knowing WHERE to search,proper coil control,knowing how to “size” a target and then knowing what an actual coin sounds like...the “qualities” of the audio response itself. These are things learned in the field,by yourself,with YOUR machine. 90% of what you learn will also be learned in the field. We can give you some basics,the rest is done while you’re hunting. When you’ve put on 200 hours,you will be able to find coins AT WILL,because the coin type signals will be that familiar and impossible to ignore.
Social groups are great for some things. Actually LEARNING YOUR MACHINE is not one of them,by and large.
Go HUNT! ALOT!:grin:

Ace,you only know what you are finding, not what you are missing. Probably 60% of possible finds are closer to have been found and not 90% but if you like to think 90% is found, no harm ,no foul, as I said you don't know what you are missing, only can account for what you are finding.......:yes:

It still probably isn't changing more than +/- 1kHz. It's just a slight shift from 10kHz to escape electrical interference harmonics.

Eventually you will pick up another machine that can adapt to different coil frequencies and then it becomes more to learn. Not only what frequency but what coil size to choose for your application. you are basically shifting the frequency from its optimum setting when you shift the frequency on a machine such as you have or like the T2 that I have. Your not really shifting the frequency itself, just offsetting its optimum setting so the machine runs more stable or becomes more compatible when using a pin pointer near its vicinity.

Unless talking about “radical depth in radical environments” frequency is the very LEAST of your concerns Ace. The VERY BASICS of metal detecting will find you 90% of what you will ever find that you INTENDED to find. If you are hunting coins,and 90% of what you dig up are NOT coins,the BASICS of detecting have not been applied properly. Google “metal detecting basics” and have a look around. Knowing WHERE to search,proper coil control,knowing how to “size” a target and then knowing what an actual coin sounds like...the “qualities” of the audio response itself. These are things learned in the field,by yourself,with YOUR machine. 90% of what you learn will also be learned in the field. We can give you some basics,the rest is done while you’re hunting. When you’ve put on 200 hours,you will be able to find coins AT WILL,because the coin type signals will be that familiar and impossible to ignore.
Social groups are great for some things. Actually LEARNING YOUR MACHINE is not one of them,by and large.
Go HUNT! ALOT!:grin:

Ace,you only know what you are finding, not what you are missing. Probably 60% of possible finds are closer to have been found and not 90% but if you like to think 90% is found, no harm ,no foul, as I said you don't know what you are missing, only can account for what you are finding.......:yes:

Thank you all, i'm hoping to get out in a few days to do some digging with my new knowledge:clapping:

Back
Top Bottom